Super Strat bridge pickups

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jcs, Aug 19, 2019.

1. jcs

jcs Member

I have this early 80's Kramer Focus 1000 with Schaller Floyd Rose, single slant humbucker and no tone control...basically an EVH model.

After trying way too many PAF types, Duncan JB, Fill Shred...i decided to install an old Dimarzio Super Distortion and the guitar really responded in a good way.

More bottom, plenty of clarity and the tonal balance seems way better overall.

Ive never really used a Super Distortion in any kind of Strat type...i know late 70's Judas Priest and Iron Maiden used Super Distortions in Strats and now i see why BUT this guitar could play quite a few genres of music quite well....i was shocked at how good the cleans are though they dont sound particularly 'Stratty' they are balanced well...the low E string still has that tight Strat sound and feel compared to when i have tried a Super Distortion in Gibsons (not usually my thing).

A lot depends on pickup height with hotter pickups it seems...i feel like i wasted 20 years with the wrong pickups which always seemed too strident and not enough mids or bottom end....thought it was the guitar itself.

Anyone else use a Super Distortion in a Super Strat or Strat type?

Im guessing the slant pickup slot and lack of tone control are part of the reason i hear much improvement....thoughts?

2. Bagels&Vox

Bagels&Vox Member

I have an ibanez HH with vintage dimarzios (dual sound bridge which is essentially a super d with 4 conductors and a PAF neck) and the dual sound completely changed the way I play that guitar)

shane8 and jcs like this.
  3. jcs

jcs Member

Cool.... things i noticed after installing the Super Distortion are the controlled feedback as well as the punchy mids and bottom.

It does NOT have the typical Strat bridge tone (which was moreso with the PAF types).

As well, im not needing to drive the amp with od and distortion pedals.

4. k tone

k tone Member

I like the Dimarzio Super D. I like the Duncan JB that I have in my other Fat Strat. It's not really a PAF is it?

jcs likes this.
  5. jcs

jcs Member

I like the JB in other guitars....its not a PAF type as it has more gain and an upper mid bump....it did not fit this guitar as well for whatever reason....too upper mid spikey and not enough bottom end perhaps in this guitar.

6. noisebloom

noisebloom Member

I've had a Super Distortion in one of my past guitars. Back then, it was a perfect pickup for hair metal, and it's still one of the best pickups I've ever had. These days I use a JB in one of my Strats, which I think I like just as much as the old SD. I also had a Duncan Distortion, which was on par with the SD and JB.

I have considered both the Tone Zone and the Air Norton, but the emphasis on lower freqs turned me off.

7. k tone

k tone Member

When I read your OP I thought you were calling the JB a PAF.
    "After trying way too many PAF types, Duncan JB, Fill Shred"
    If you don't like shredders or PAFs in a Strat I wouldn't know what to recommend. I had a Burstbucker 3 in a Strat and liked it but it's PAFish.

jcs likes this.
  8. TattooedCarrot

TattooedCarrot Supporting Member

Super Distortion's name is really a misnomer. It's not as high output as many modern offerings and it behaves quite well compared to many other high output ceramic pickups. I have a Dimarzio SuperD/PAF combo in my Flying V and it's perfect. Very articulate, cleans up decent, and just sounds good.

jcs likes this.
  9. jcs

jcs Member

Im not sure how to categorize a JB or a Duncan Full Shred for that matter but the Full Shred is too much top end to my ears.....likely works well in some guitars and maybe the neck slot but neither came close in this particular guitar as the Super Distortion did.

Think the Super Distortion will stay!