Super Vee with Locking Gears instead of the Locking Nut

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 71strat, Jan 14, 2015.

1. 71strat

71strat Member

Anyone using the Super Vee and instead of the Locking Nut..... Use a Regular Nut, and Locking tuning gears ???

2. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

You thinking of regular locking tuners?

If so it won't be different from any other trem really. The quality of your nut will be what's important for good tuning stability, locking tuners doesn't really make much of a difference either, but they're convenient.

3. duderanimous

duderanimous Monsterpiece Fuzz - Fuzz Master Extraordinaire Silver Supporting Member

On my Strat I have a Blade Runner and Fender locking tuners. Those along with a little lube at the nut means tuning is not an issue for me unless I go apesh*t on the trem.

4. Shane Sanders

Shane Sanders Supporting Member

Yeah, I have two fine-tuner equipped Super-Vee strats and I don't use the locking nut or even locking tuners. Works great, though it ain't a Floyd as far as stability, but it's good for surfy things and chord shimmer which is all I need. The real power of a Super-Vee is the blade tech. It's just better than any other method, imo. Been using 'em for years now with no problems and, imo, good tone.

I find having fine tuners makes setting intonation less time consuming and sometimes dialing into pitch using a strobe is easier (with less overshooting and then having to undershoot and aim back with a more gross gear ratio at the headstock). I get it within a few cents with the headstock and finish up with fine tuners. Of course, on a floating trem, touching the fine tuners on the trem affects pitch, so it's still not ideal. I have gotten used to guessing how much of a turn will move pitch +/- 1 cent. It's all in just getting used to it.

For a while, I used the locking thing from Sta-Tuned.com, behind the nut, but found I don't really need it. There was no way I was going to put that giant locking nut thing that Super-Vee makes on my guitars which already had perfectly cut nuts.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015