Superchamp XD or Cube 60?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by still.ill, Jun 10, 2008.

1. still.ill

still.ill Member

basically have it narrowed it down to these 2.... 2nd amp/light weight/able to compete with the drummer

2. Electric I

Electric I Member

As someone who's never liked boss' cosm od/dist, I vote for the scxd on that alone. Plus, there's the freedom to swap the speaker in the scxd.

And yeah, the scxd can keep up with a drummer, as it was evidenced rocking ac/dc at a rehearsal earlier this eve.

3. Maruuk

Maruuk Member

I would definitely get a Ragin Cajun in there to help compete with the rhythm section. And you've got a nice line out to bring it into the PA w/out having to mic it. I own a C-60 but I'm selling it as it's just too cold and unorganic sounding. But it is a good amp for what it is: huge bottom end, very loud, and the Marshall sim is quite good.

4. biggreen

biggreen Member

Being as they are the same price and one is all tube, and 1 is all solid state it should be a pretty easy choice. :)

5. jdogjent

jdogjent Member

Both are great amps. SCXD with a Ragin Cajun is INSANE! Super Clean tone!

6. still.ill

still.ill Member

isn't the champ xd sort of a modeller?

7. StudioRat320

StudioRat320 Member

SCXD with a new speaker and proper 12ax7 is the bees knees.

8. BadCompany89

BadCompany89 Member

How about a Vox Valvetronix? I'd highly recommend trying one of those out.

9. fatherjones.com

fatherjones.com Member

Haven't tried the Champ. But, I have two Cube 60's running in tandem, and that is the most incredible sounding, lightweight, versatile, easy to use, butt kicking surprise of the century. And I've had dozens of the best amps.

10. PremiumPlus

PremiumPlus Member

I'd go with the half stack, definitely. Oh, sorry. +1 for the champ with a RC. Mine gigged with the praise band last Sunday and I had to turn down. I was switching between Ch.1 and model 6, the plexi, I do believe. Sounded real nice. And I usually gig the church with a SFSR.

11. Jack Dotson

Jack Dotson Supporting Member

I've heard the Cubes and thought they were pretty decent, but I bought the SCXD. It was a great little amp for the three weeks I owned if before it blew up on me.

I replaced it with an Epi VJ and a Peavey Valve-king 112, but I miss the SCXD and liked it better than both of my new amps.

BTW, I also owned two of the VOX's and AD-50 and AD-60 and neither compare to the SCXD and I didn't even try different tubes, speakers, etc.

12. biggreen

biggreen Member

Edit:

Yes it has a digital preamp but Either way it has 1 preamp tube and 2 power amp tubes, as opposed to the all solid state cube 60. The Cube is likely more versatile overall, but the SCXD's clean channel is unbeatable in the $300 price range.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
  13. cbwarnes

cbwarnes Member

I have both. The Cube 60 is great for Jazz. Especially if you have a hollow body with flatwounds.

14. Jack Dotson

Jack Dotson Supporting Member

I had to check the cube out in a less than favorable enviroment and would have liked to have been able to do a head to head with the Fender.

If you could elaborate a bit more when you have time I'd really apprecaite it. I love the SCXD, but mine blew up and many seem to have reliabilty issues so I've been reconsidering the cubes.

I'm especailly intriged since you mentioned the hollow body. I have a 339 which I bet would just rock trhough one of the cubes.

15. 5E3

5E3 Member

The Cube 60 has a 12" speaker that may be nice. I would play through both and then decide.

16. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Supporting Member

Champ, not even a contest :)

17. phatster

phatster Member

XD is bang for the buck champ!~

18. mbratch

mbratch Member

It's a modeling pre-amp, tube power amp (6V6) with tube phase inverter (12AX7).

19. Maruuk

Maruuk Member

I'm selling my Cube to get an SCXD. The Cube cleans are cold and digital, but it does a great Marshall and pretty good tweed, for a SS. Loud as hell, and great low end. Light, small, nice efx. I just need more soul.

20. MBreinin

MBreinin Supporting Member

Super Champ kicks ass!

Mike