Superdelay- how's the self oscillation?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dewey decibel, Feb 22, 2009.

1. dewey decibel

dewey decibel Supporting Member

we eat a lot of cheese and drink a lot of beer
    Just what the title says. I've done lots of searches and watched lots of videos, and it looks like it will self oscillate, but it's hard to tell how well. Will it measure up to something like a Carbon Copy? Basically in the clips I've heard you can get the spaceship to take off, but I haven't heard if you can get it to land, if that makes sense...

2. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

It can self oscilate and do some cool stuff, but like every digital delay I've ever tried (and keep in mind that this one has replaced every analog and digital delay I've ever tried), it cannot capture the blurring into a tone in itself like most analog delays when they oscilate.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  3. Cake Bakist

Cake Bakist Member

4. yellowecho

yellowecho Member

if you can even get it to oscillate, it's not good.
    it's probably one of the last pedals that I would buy for oscillation.
    get a good analog delay for that stuff.

5. dewey decibel

Hmmmmm....

I guess it's not a fair question. I don't expect it to sound like a good analog delay, but how would it compare to the oscillation of say, an Echo Park? DD-7? Let's say you crank the feedback, then crank the time and get that high pitched oscillation going. Now if you then spin the time knob the other way, will it dive bomb? That real big, low dive? That's what I mean by "the spaceship landing", but maybe "the spaceship doing a fly by" is a better description. Damn I wish I could try one of these things in person...

6. thunderpuppy

thunderpuppy Member

I'm fine with the Superdelay's oscillation... The switchable filter (hpf/lpf) has a lot of effect when you're doing runaway feedback, but all in all, it's one of the more usable "twistable" digital delays I've had.

7. Kayzer

Kayzer Member

Beside that the empress is one of my all time favourite delays out there, the oscillation and 2 togglestages for filter + modulation instead of knob are the only concerns so far…

8. dewey decibel

9. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

The last post was an hour and a half ago, why are you bumping?

10. dewey decibel

Sorry, just trying to get a definitive answer. I thought I read that post before I went to work this morning, guess not...

11. yellowecho

yellowecho Member

I tried this again last night and couldn't get it to oscillate.
    The superdelay just automatically adjusts to the new time/algorithm.. so even at it's longest time, mine wouldn't oscillate...it just played infinitely.

12. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

It's either the setting you are on or an issue with your unit. You should be able to get it to oscillate if you have the feedback control at max in most of the settings.

13. thunderpuppy

thunderpuppy Member

My band has a song where I twist runaway feedback at the end of the tune for exactly the "UFO landing" sound you are talking about. The Superdelay performs admirably, and we play the song live regularly. I've never been unhappy with the way this pedal does that effect.