• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Superego effect loop (dropping effects in and out)

jameburg

Hello. I just recently obtained an Electro Harmonix Superego (awesome pedal). To really get the most out of it, you need to use the effects loop. My problem is that I like to use some of my main effects on my frozen sound, and use a clean lead over the top, but I also like to use my effects without the superego. Now rather than having to unplug all of my cables and re-patch everything I've come across a diagram that could potentially drop my effects in and out of the Superego. The only problem is that it would require two Y-cables and two signal splitters (like the EHX switchblade, the good one with the leds, not the the crap one). I know the dangers of running two signals through one output via Y-cables, but the thing is, I would only use one signal at a time. I will post a picture to show what it would look like. Now for my actual question. Would this actually work?

jameburg

I've seen the dropout before. I'm actually kind of intimidated by it. I have no clue on how I would hook everything up. Maybe someone could explain it to me with very simple instructions? I've only recently gotten into more complex set ups so I'm not familiar with a lot of the terminology. Also, I saw in another thread that someone tried the dropout with the superego, but only got one pedal to drop in and out. I've checked back a few times, but he never figured it out. I'd hate to spend money on another pedal and either have it not work, or just never properly figure it out.

mc_deli

Open up the close up on the this1smyne page. You connect the dropout's in and out (the lower jacks) to our pedal. Then the footswitch switches the signal between the two loops. You can use the two loops for whatever - ideal for superego loop and to join the rest of your board. This is ideal for you. And a very clever tool IMHO!

jameburg

I appreciate you explaining it to me, but there is just one too many set of input/outputs for me to fully understand it. Would anyone care to draw me a picture? Someone did in another thread, but then reposted saying 'oops I put this cable and that cable and the other cable in the wrong spots, just imagine it the correct way' which doesn't help me at all. If I were to go with the dropout, I would need a step by step walk thru on what to do and where to connect what. Also, as I mentioned before, someone else tried this, but could only drop one pedal in and out. Both set ups (the double A/B and double Y or the dropout) would cost me around 100 bucks, but I feel like the A/B and Y-cables would work and be easier to set up (for me at least).

NHBluesMan

I appreciate you explaining it to me, but there is just one too many set of input/outputs for me to fully understand it. Would anyone care to draw me a picture? Someone did in another thread, but then reposted saying 'oops I put this cable and that cable and the other cable in the wrong spots, just imagine it the correct way' which doesn't help me at all. If I were to go with the dropout, I would need a step by step walk thru on what to do and where to connect what. Also, as I mentioned before, someone else tried this, but could only drop one pedal in and out. Both set ups (the double A/B and double Y or the dropout) would cost me around 100 bucks, but I feel like the A/B and Y-cables would work and be easier to set up (for me at least).
you can use multiple pedals with it, you just would either have them all in the SuperEgo loop or all out of the loop.

i'll try to break it down for you...

Input/Output (bottom set), self explanatory here.

whatever effects you want to switch back and forth would go in the effects send/return jacks (top set).

then you'd use the Superego effects loop and connect it to the Loop send/return jacks (middle set)

then just hit the switch to move them back and forth

ChipOnly

Just in case anyone from EHX is reading, if they could implement some kind of switching scheme (dual footswitches?) so that one could use a superego without tying up pedals for use exclusively in the superego's effects loop, I'd probably have one already.

jameburg

Holy crap that's awesome! Thanks for explaining it to me in dumbed down terms. That makes it way easier to understand. I really appreciate the help. Also, a second switch on the superego is a great idea. I'm sure someone around here could figure out how to mod that?

So I feel like an idiot for asking, but I'm a complete n00b when it comes to anything more advanced than a standard pedal chain.

I just got a dropout to use specifically with my superego, but for the life of me, I can't seem to get it to work. Reading your explanation, it looks like I've got it wired properly, but I either don't have access to my effects in the loop at all, or when it's activated, both my wet and dry signal are affected.

Am I missing something?

Here's how I've got it wired up.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Yup, that was it. I thought I'd tried that combination, but apparently I hadn't.

Thanks!

For anyone in the future who comes across this, here's the proper way to hook it all up:

harpinon

I just bought a Zoom ms50 and leave it there and always on. Loads of effects on there. The 100 model has more. Single pedal enclosure to boot.
I can set up a ton of patches. The effects are fairly decent but the Superego skews any effect to degree. So don't waste your good effects on it.
Try the Zoom. Only $100 and no cable hassles.

voxylady

Yeah, I had the SE and a Dropout for a while, and I found that using a multifx in the loop gave me the greatest options for use in the loop. The Dropout works perfectly though, and is probably the easiest way to do what you're wanting.

mediabuyout

Silver Supporting Member
Yup, that was it. I thought I'd tried that combination, but apparently I hadn't.

Thanks!

For anyone in the future who comes across this, here's the proper way to hook it all up:

If i put a 1 channel true bypass looper in between the guitar and the input jack of the superego, will I still be able to access the chorus/phaser/flanger pedals in the Dropout fx loop when the superego is completely bypassed (via the tb looper)?

I'm thinking the chain would go: guitar > tb looper input > channel 1 send to superego input / superego output to channel 1 receive, tb looper output to Dropout input. Then the rest as diagrammed above.

srmd22

you can use multiple pedals with it, you just would either have them all in the SuperEgo loop or all out of the loop.

i'll try to break it down for you...

Input/Output (bottom set), self explanatory here.

whatever effects you want to switch back and forth would go in the effects send/return jacks (top set).

then you'd use the Superego effects loop and connect it to the Loop send/return jacks (middle set)

then just hit the switch to move them back and forth
One very key thing about this, that took me forever to figure out - with the super ego, you can't just plug in the send return from the SE to the return-send on the Dropout (or at least I couldn't). I had to email Tim, and he told me to use an effects sent stereo TRS cable (I think that is the term - it is a Y-cable with TRS connector) - and the the TRS jack is coming from the Send (I think) of the SE, and the Y part splits to the send and return jacks on the dropout.

For me this was far from intuitive, as I have had only a bit of experience with recording console send returns, and that was ages ago.

I could not get it to work whatsoever with the above diagram using just 1/4 inch mono cables from the SE. Also, the colored diagram quoted above looks to say the same thing, which, again, did not work for me. Maybe I am just a bit learning disabled (well, definitely that), but when Tim suggested the Y-cable solution, that worked.

If that is the way it needs to be, I am not sure why it is not in the diagram. Probably some basic configuration issue specific to my set-up that I am missing, but just fyi for anyone struggling with this.

olbean

One very key thing about this, that took me forever to figure out - with the super ego, you can't just plug in the send return from the SE to the return-send on the Dropout (or at least I couldn't). I had to email Tim, and he told me to use an effects sent stereo TRS cable (I think that is the term - it is a Y-cable with TRS connector) - and the the TRS jack is coming from the Send (I think) of the SE, and the Y part splits to the send and return jacks on the dropout.
I don't understand how this would work - because there would be nothing going back to the Superego's return!?

Gibs210

I don't understand how this would work - because there would be nothing going back to the Superego's return!?
yea, you shouldnt need a Y cable for any of that just follow the previous drawings in the thread. Make sure you connect the send jacks of each pedal together, and the Return jacks of each pedal together. A lot of guys think that it goes the other way around.

Gibs210

scratch that, try swapping the input/output connections around with the the send/return connections of the of the effects pedals you want in both the superego and the dropout. Then you'd be switching pedals between your normal signal chain, and the superego. At least to me thats what it looks like needs to happen.

If that doesn't work, it might be the way the switch is wired up in the dropout.

Gibs210

if you can take a picture of the internal wiring I might be able to figure out whats going on.

Top Bottom