Superfuzz

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Kozmicma, Dec 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Kozmicma

Kozmicma Member

Finally (we often say "finally" when we speak of fuzz pedal but it never ends...), I decided to go with a Superfuzz. I listened to a lot of vids on Youtube about almost all known superfuzz clones and I ended up with two favorites. It's sure the quality of the vids (sound, guitar playing) can affect my judgment. I dont give a... with soloing. For me it doesn't help understanding the real tone. So, here's my two choice : Idiotbox Ron Swanson (newer version with tone knob) and Maxon Ether. Both great tone. 1+ for the Maxon for the EQ control. Swanson have a genuine great special interesting tone. Does someone had the chance to compare those two? What would be your choice between the Idiotbox and the Maxon?

chrismellotron likes this.
  2. jlinde

jlinde Member

Why don't u just buy a real superfuzz? Then that way you'll know what it is. I've had my original red/blue superfuzz longer than any other pedal. You can still find them on ebay cheap if you're patient. Plus the originals have an internal octave pot that the clones dont have.

BluesHarp likes this.
  3. Killshakes

Killshakes Member

chankgeez likes this.
  4. cheapgtrs

cheapgtrs Supporting Member

I like the SS/BS Buzzz and the Voodoo Labs Superfuzz personally. I have not tried the 2 mentioned in the OP but both seem like good choices to me.

johnetone likes this.
  5. jgyn

jgyn Member

The Voodoo Labs Superfuzz is, despite the name, modeled after the Jordan Bosstone.

6. otherone

otherone Supporting Member

I bought the Wattson Superfuzz clone. Very hard to find but I lucked out and found one on reverb from Australia for under $200. It’s really good. Exact clone. Internal trimmer. The real deal

onwingsoflead likes this.
  7. vintage66

vintage66 Member

Yea, why did they do that. I have the VL Bosstone that preceded the VL Superfuzz and it’s a great pedal. Not a Superfuzz though.

8. Kozmicma

Kozmicma Member

I did considered a lot of Superfuzz clones but prefer the tones and tone ranges of the Ether and the Swanson. Personal taste. I'm not searching for the exact original Superfuzz tone. But there is many good superfuzz clones out there.

9. lavinci

lavinci Member

MC-FX Super Fuzz,
    very hard to find, worth hunting for...

10. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

I know you have your mind made up but I had the Basic Audio Super Fuzz here as part of a tourbox.

I A/B'd it with my original blue and red Super Fuzz and the BA version actually sounded better and the additional controls made it *much* more usable.

Good luck.

-bEn r.

11. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

I agree, the Basic Audio Superfuzz is amazing. I recently got one (I also fell in love with it during the tourbox), and I think the sweepable tone control is key. It's also amazing with the octave off, and even cleans up in a cool way in octave off mode. I like it better than my Boss FZ-2!

12. otherone

otherone Supporting Member

Also the black cat superfuzz is supposed to be very good

onwingsoflead likes this.
  13. Kozmicma

Kozmicma Member

Thanks ChampReverb and AXXA. I was interested with the BA superfuzz. The videos on Youtube were less convincing then both of you. Too much soloing... I should consider this one too.

14. Kozmicma

Kozmicma Member

Anyone experienced the Swanson fuzz or the Maxon Ether?

15. Kozmicma

Kozmicma Member

My research wasn't complete. I recently found interests in the Ananashead Superfuzz v2 and the Wattson efy-6. Anybody tried those one?

16. Ardour

Ardour Supporting Member

17. augur

augur Member

18. chrismellotron

chrismellotron Member

John has a way of making original FUZZ circuits much more usable in a band setting.

friend33, chankgeez and johnetone like this.
  19. johnetone

johnetone Supporting Member

All three of these (Ron Swanson, Ether, Basic Audio) are excellent. You should buy all three. Do your own shootout on video. And have us vote on the video on which one you should keep.

Maggot and chankgeez like this.
  20. LockerRoomTalk

LockerRoomTalk Member

I rarely see it mentioned here (It's kind of a limited release), but the Keeley Electric Mudd is an amazing superfuzz variant. I bought one used from Guitar Center on a whim, and it's probably my favorite fuzz. Definitely my favorite silicon fuzz. The demos on youtube make it sound super vintage and low gain, but it has way more range than that. I love the "edge" control, which seems to let you blend in the octave. I sometimes run it into the modern high gain mode of my Mesa Dual Rectifier and it sounds ridiculous.