• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Superlead / Burtone Teles

morglan

Silver Supporting Member
I've been meaning to post a quick thread about these guitars for a long time, but hadn't gotten around to it.

These guitars don't seem to get very much recognition, but the quality is right up there with Dano. They are far above anything I've ever played from the Fender factory.

Both are swamp ash, and are light and resonant. The Mary Kaye Blonde is loaded with Fender Custom Shop Nocasters, and the Custom has a Klein (can't remember the exact model) in the bridge, a Brandonwound PAF in the neck, and is wired to a 4 way switch. Both guitars sound incredible clean and dirty.

The relicing is very tasteful, and the two tone burst looks great.

You can see how great the checking is on the blonde as well.

The necks are truly baseball bats-- the back of the neck has no 'heel' - it just proceeds to the back of the headstock without any change in angle.

Superlead makes great guitars--and you can choose almost any option you can think of.

Last edited:

Steve73

I have had Marc make me a lightly reliced black Strat body as well as a white Tele body with aged hardware. Both are killer, I prefer them to most of the CS Fender stuff I try. For anything Fender-y, he's my go to guy!

Gas-man

Unrepentant Massaganist
Them is good lookin'.

The blonde looks a little like Vince Gill's '53 (I think he actually has two).

M I K E D.

Silver Supporting Member
I have a tele Marc made for me. Great guitar very resonant with some nice thwack to it.

Super thin nitro finish with light relicing. It gets a lot of use!

teleking36

Silver Supporting Member
My #1 guitar is a Superlead '59 Tele. Got it December 2009 and it's been my go-to ever since. Loaded with Ron Ellis pickups. Weighs somewhere in the low 7lb range. It's an absolute monster!! I bought it as a closet classic and it's on its way to a moderate relic due to the amount of gigging hours I've put on it.

Marc was excellent to work with. Top notch guy who communicates really well and cares about the end result.

morglan

Silver Supporting Member
What ever happened to Superlead? I used to see him on TGP all the time.
I don't know--that's one of the reasons I started this thread. His guitars are really, REALLY good. It would be a shame if he stopped making them. (Marc - I hope you're reading this!)

baybruin

I don't know--that's one of the reasons I started this thread. His guitars are really, REALLY good. It would be a shame if he stopped making them. (Marc - I hope you're reading this!)
Oh he's still around, he just shipped out my t-style today!:drool

Superlead

Silver Supporting Member
Very nice comments here, couldn't be more appreciated!!

I usually post pics and offer guitars/services in the "Builders and Retailers" section, although I took my thread down recently for updates.

I continue to offer USACG "F" style guitars finished like those in the pics above but have also been trying to get some tools together to try my hand at scratch building, we'll see how that goes.

baybruin

Here's my Burtone 'Girtha' that just came in this past week! I'm lovin' it! Hope to do a fuller write-up/review in the near future.

MSS

I have a strat partscaster from superlead. Fantastic guitar and the relicing and finish are better than my Fender CS relic strat. He knows how to do it........

Top Bottom