SuperLead master volume question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Polvo, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Polvo

Polvo Supporting Member

So my buddy has a SUPERLEAD with a prephase mv, and still can jump and blend channels, so does that mean the preamp is cascaded? I know for a fact that it is a pre phase as well. It sounds amazing, I like it much better than my LAR/mar, any input is appreciated.

2. vain_guitarist

vain_guitarist Member

Sounds like the preamps remain in a parallel arrangement. With a pre-phase inverter master volume, it's likely coming off of the treble control of the shared tone stack. This attenuates the audio signal feeding the phase inverter and thus reduces the signal being fed forward through the output section.

The preamps would not be "cascaded" if I'm understanding the functionality that you're describing above.

3. Polvo

Polvo Supporting Member

Interesting, thanks!

4. Jason_77

Jason_77 Member

The lead channel uses one half of v1 and the normal channel uses the other half. They get tied together after v1 (specifically, after each channel's volume control and right before v2), where they continue through into v2a then v2b then into the phase inverter, v3. Essentially, the preamp is cascading from the start with the only difference being which half of v1 you plug into. The pre PI master volume is after v2 and before v3, so it's well after each channel's volume control.

5. vain_guitarist

vain_guitarist Member

Polvo - While Jason and I both have a clear understanding of the circuitry, I believe neither of us has laid it out for you in easy to digest terms. I'll give it another go:

When you hear the term "cascaded preamp" many people are referring to either a mod to get more distortion out of stock Marshall style amps or a later model of Marshall style amps that have an initial gain stage (like the first half of V1) feeding directly into a second gain stage (such as the second half of V2). Sometimes these two stages are fed sequentially one right into the next. Other times, the first half of V1 can feed forward into the second half of V1 with a volume potentiometer allowing you to control the amount (or strength) of the signal feeding this gain stage. This it what most refer to as a "cascaded" preamp. The result of this configuration leads to larger signal strength feeding down-stream gain stages and can send those subsequent stages into greater amounts of overdrive.

Your buddy's Superlead, with it's jumping capability, marked by the two separate volume controls that operate independently, is not cascading the two separate gain stages of V1.

I really hope this helps. I think it's awesome that you're listening to the different outcomes that can be achieved by the various operating modes of plexi style amps. Just remember that if it sounds good to you and makes you happy, then that's all that matters.

6. Polvo

Polvo Supporting Member

Sure enough, thank you all for your knowledge on the subject. We're going to to take his Marshall to my tech and I'm going to see about duplicating it in mine. Find out exactly whats in there.