Supernatural Reverb Hiss - Pedal Itself or Power Supply?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Thordy, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Thordy

Thordy Member

I just got my first reverb pedal which is a Hardwire Supernatural. As soon as I added it to my board, I got a terrible hiss. Is this the pedal itself or is it a problem with the way I am powering it?

Here's my setup:

Keeley Comp, Boss BD-2, Timmy, Korg Pitchblack on VS One Spot daisy chain

Line6 G30 wireless on its own wall wart power supply

Vox DelayLab on its own wall wart power supply

Supernatural was tried on its own 200 mA wall wart, then chained with the One Spot, then in place of the DelayLab so I could use its 300 mA wall wart. The hiss remained with all these options, though I think it might have been a little less when I took out the DelayLab and used its power supply.

My board has always been silent until I added this Supernatural pedal. Is the pedal defective? Is this problem fixable with a different power supply? Anyone else have this problem?

2. Nevil Bamshoot

Nevil Bamshoot Member

The Supernatural needs 300mA of power upon start-up, so the One-Spot won't be a good long-term solution for powering it. I use the 300mA output on my Iso-5 to power it, never have any noise issues with it. But it sounds like you had problems with the 1-spot and a 200mA adapter (neither of which would be sufficient) and then things went better with the 300mA adapter, right? Try it on it's own with the DelayLab's power supply and no other pedals and see how it goes.

3. jordane93

jordane93 Member

I don't have any noise issues powering my Supernatural on one of the 9V 100mA taps on the ISO5

4. Thordy

Thordy Member

Thanks Nevil. I tried the Supernatural on its own with the DelayLab's power supply. The hiss is still there a little bit. It probably wouldn't be noticeable, but on the "pherb" setting, it is easily noticeable because the phasing swirl makes the hiss really stand out. Are you saying that you get ZERO hiss when using an isolated power supply? You don't even hear the phaser hiss when on the "pherb" setting?

5. Thordy

Thordy Member

So, you don't hear the phasing hiss when you are on the "pherb" setting?

6. jordane93

jordane93 Member

I use it mostly on the shimmer setting so I don't remember

7. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

It's generally best to have digital pedals isolated from the rest. That said, the digitech rv7 is fine daisy chained on a godlyke powerall.

Try the one spot and the supernatural and of you can also try the supernatural with a battery. The one spot has plenty of headroom to powerup the supernatural.

8. minty901

minty901 Member

youre always gonna hear some phasing on the phaser setting because everything has a noise floor, and the pedal is gonna add reverb to that noise floor. which increases the volume of the noise floor. if your signal has fairly clean power supplies then the noise floor should be quite low... but there will always be something for the reverb to act upon when its switched on. i presume the "hiss" you talk about is only when the pedal is switched on? if it happens when its off then that does sound like a power supply issue. if not then, its probably normal volume increase from having a high mix reverb sitting on your noise floor. actually, does the hiss go away when the mix knob is set to zero? that would definitely be there reverb effect if so and nothing to worry about. i notice this effect with delays a lot as well, cause they are layering repeats of the noise ontop of each other.

9. petty1818

petty1818 Member

What are your settings like on the Supernatural? I just recently sold the Supernatural but still own the RV-7. I find that with the mix knob turned up past 12 o'clock, some hiss gets added to my signal. If I turn up the liveliness or decay knob as well then the hiss becomes worse. The Supernatural actually has far more hiss than the RV-7. Some settings are worse than others as well. For example, on my RV-7 the spring setting has the most hiss where as the reverse reverb setting is almost silent.

For what it's worth, I also own the Catalinbread Topanga and find that it has the same issue. I am not sure if this is just a reverb pedal trait or not but it's a bit annoying.

10. starkd12

starkd12 Member

I use one isolated through my voodoo lab pp2+, never had a problem

11. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Try it with a battery.

12. Thordy

Thordy Member

The hiss is present whether the pedal is engaged or not. The hiss is not affected by turning any of the knobs except when changing reverb types, then the hiss briefly goes away before the new type of reverb is comes on.

13. Thordy

Thordy Member

I will try it with a battery as soon as I am able to pick up a new 9v. I didn't have any at home that were fully charged.

14. Thordy

Thordy Member

Petty1818, are you using an isolated power supply such as a Vodoo Lab PP? I'm just wondering if getting an isolated power supply would completely take care of the noise, or will there always be a little bit of hiss with a reverb pedal?

15. petty1818

petty1818 Member

I am using it with an isolated power supply and have used it with the battery and the hiss is still there. It's not terrible but it definitely sounds like I am engaging a boost pedal, especially with the Supernatural.

16. Lockjawpony

Lockjawpony Member

I use a pedal power 2 with my supernatural and I never noticed a hiss. Maybe try changing cables if you have any spares?

17. Nevil Bamshoot

Nevil Bamshoot Member

I will say that I do think that the 'Pherb' setting has the most excess sound of any of the settings. I don't use it that much, myself. I'm usually using the Supernatural most, the Shimmer second most, or the Plate Mod. And with those, I never have any noise issues.

As far as the pedal sounding OK at 100mA, according to Hardwire/Digitech, running that pedal at that level will eventually cause it harm that will require repair or replacement. No idea if that's actually the case, but I have no reason to doubt them. Seems to be that it can run, once started properly, at 75mA. But it needs that initial boost of 300mA to get all of its ducks in a row, electronically, so to speak.

18. Tom Von Kramm

Tom Von Kramm Vendor

This was based upon bad information that I received and passed on, it is not the case. If you don't give it enough juice on startup it may cause it to have initialization problems, but no damage will occur.

Totally an error on our part!

19. Thordy

Thordy Member

OK, I might be an idiot. When experimenting with my new Supernatural pedal this afternoon, I realized that my amp has a "hiss" even when I just plug my guitar directly in to the amp. There really isn't that much more noise when I use the Supernatural. It may just be the outlets that I have the amp plugged in to right now, or maybe I was just nit picking. I'm still curious why the hiss goes silent, though, when I am changing reverb modes. Does anyone have any words of wisdom on that?

Also, I think I am probably safe to power the Supernatural on its own 200 mA wall wart or by daisy chaining it on the the One Spot's daisy chain. The other pedals on the One Spot are all analog so they aren't drawing much current.

Anyway, thanks for all the replies trying to help, but in the end, you can't fix stupid. :bonk

20. Tom Von Kramm

Tom Von Kramm Vendor

Yes, the inputs and outputs are muted while switching modes to avoid any errant noise while the DSP and delay buffers are cleared out.

I'm glad you are working and happy!