Supernatural vs RV-7 vs HOF: Really much difference?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by soundchaser59, May 14, 2015.

1. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Supporting Member

Anybody tried them? I've had an RV7, but have not yet owned a Supernatural or a HOF. I'm looking for something with more choices than just the spring tank in my amp. The Supernatural clips seem very enticing, but is it really worth that much more $$$$ than the RV7 or the HOF?

2. Igotsoul4u

Igotsoul4u Member

The TC electronics verb is very different from digitech IMO. I prefer the natural vibe of the digitech pedals. TC still sounds great but the reverb doesn't sound like I would imagine the actual space in real life. It seems a little synthetic.

3. DRS

DRS Member

Had a HoF. Now have a RV7. I had problems with weird noise when daisy chaining the power supply with the HoF and other pedals. The RV7 sounds great and has a much better spring reverb. It's a bit bigger and a few dollars more.

4. minty901

minty901 Member

Very different. HOF has much longer decay than RV-7 (more similar to Supernatural), and its tone is very different -- the HOF is a much darker and smoother reverb. Sounds almost like a synth pad is being played underneath your guitar, which is great for ambient/atmospheric music. The RV-7 is much brighter and reflective and sounds more like the sound of an actual room with sound bouncing off the walls. You feel the reverberations bouncing back at you more, and it's more realistic. More realistic emulations of playing in a hall etc., but not as soft and can be a bit "in your face" at high volumes. It depends on what kind of music you play as to which you'd go for.

As for the supernatural -- that's somewhere inbetween. It has the decay and the modulation and "ambient" style of the hall of fame, but it still has similar underlying algorithms to the RV-7 and so there's still that lingering bright and reflective element to the reverb that's hard to dial out. I know it gets rave reviews but personally I feel like it's the awkward middle-ground. If you want weird modulated sounds, you'd probably rather it sounds more synthy and smooth than bright and "realistic" (as there's no such thing as flanging reverb in a real hall for example)

Summing up:

RV-7 is realistic emulations of playing in a real space and works best for shorter decays and lower mix

HOF doesn't really sound like playing in a real space, it sounds more like a dark, smooth ambient synth pad underneath your playing and is great for high decay/mix

Supernatural is capable of weird modulation and "out there" sounds, as well as achieving the long decay of the HOF, but personally I feel it hasn't dialed out the bright, reflective qualities of the RV-7 and so doesn't work as well as the HOF for high mix/decay

...the good thing is that if you know what you're looking for for its musical application, the choice is pretty simple. want realistic room = get rv7. want synth washes = get HOF.

5. minty901

minty901 Member

I should say though, if you turn the tone knob up to the max on HOF, it can get close to the RV-7's sound (where tone knob is at noon)

6. Jules-RM

Jules-RM Member

I dunno, neither the RV7 or Supernatural seemed overly bright to me, the tone knob works fine for me around 11 o'clock.

My two requirements were a good Plate and a good Spring, in both areas the Hardwire's kick TC's asses every day of the week. I liked the Trinity E1 and E2 settings, but apart from that they are just not convincing in Plate or Spring imo. And I use an AC30 (Top Boost, no effects loop).

7. minty901

minty901 Member

RV-7 and Supernatural aren't overly bright, they're just nowhere near as dark as the HOF. Like I said, the Digitech ones sit in "realistic" territory (where bright reflections do occur), and "realistic" doesn't always translate well to long ambient decays. RV-7 sounds like a perfected version of 90% of the other reverbs out there (like holy grail etc) that try to get a realistic reverb sound. But the HOF is, to me, a different kind of reverb altogether; one that is better suited for ambient playing. I'm thinking if your requirements were plate and spring, you probably don't dabble that much in ambient guitar where the HOF shines. So I'd expect the Digitech pedals would work better and sound more realistic and pleasing for your application.

8. soundchaser59

That is interesting......Thanks guys for the input.

If I wanted a more ambient reverb, I would probably be playing something slower and lush, and the reverb on my amp (standard 3 spring MOD with med decay) does not work well for that at all, imo.

But if I'm playing a regular tempo tune, regular rockin or bluesy thing, then the lite touch of spring reverb on the amp seems to suffice. In that case I like it "just barely noticeable." Fast enough and I play clean without reverb anyway.

I thought about the HOF Mini, but I want quick access to more choices on the fly, between songs.

9. jazzfromhell

jazzfromhell Member

Then the RV7 is a no-brainer.

10. LadOfEastPoland

LadOfEastPoland Member

I love Hall Of Fame! Insanely versatile! Will get you anything you want from a reverb pedal.

11. minty901

minty901 Member

so if i understand you right, you want a reverb pedal to cover the long, slow, ambient playing, but dont need one for the normal rock playing because your amp has you covered. im sorry to disagree with the person above, but i absolutely think the hall of fame is the better option for you, if i was understanding you correctly. the rv7 is awesome as an amp verb replacement and for rock playing, but the hof beats it hands down for slow and lush ambient playing with massive decay. rv7 decay is short - medium.

12. soundchaser59

I think I agree with you. Yeah, you are understanding me correctly. The RV7 is the only one of the three pedals I have already owned......twice....and sold it.....twice. There must be a reason. I do remember it being on the brighter side, and my ears associate bright reverb with spring reverb, which is too much like my amp. If the HOF is darker and warmer sounding then I would probably like it better.