1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Supersonic + Governor = Sweet :)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by frankencat, Sep 22, 2006.

1. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

Well I tried the V30 that came with the Supersonic and I liked it but the highs were a little harsh on-axis so I figured I would try a few of the EMI speakers I have been hearing so much about. First I tried a Texas Head and it was very good but not enough 'tude for what I like. So I bought a Governor and stuck it in there and all I can say is wow! This may be the perfect speaker for this amp. It's very similar to a V30 but it is sweeter and smoother and has better bottom end to my ears. The Heats were incredible on the clean side but the Gov just brings the amp to another level on the OD side which I what I use the most. The clean side is still good too, actually has some nice character to it so it's all good. And this is right out of the box so I can only imagine that it will sound better as it breaks in. I am stoked! Thanks to all for the recommendations. I think I am still gonna have fun trying out some other ones but the Governor is staying in the Fender. Time to rip into my Avatar cab and get those nasty V30's out of there, hehe :)

2. frankencat

Well almost anyway...really heavy duty BAD overtones with the amp cranked up :( Sounds like the voice coil is rubbing. I am going to remount the speaker and make sure the basket is not tweaked which I have seen happen before. Man, this thing sounds so nice, I hope I can get it going without the wierdness.

3. Madison

Madison Supporting Member

Sounds like a case of cone cry. Vintage 30 and Governor's are known for this when you crank and bend notes, typically up above the 12th fret.

4. frankencat

Yep, definitely is. The V30 did it a little in this amp and the Governor is doing it too. Re-mounting helped a little bit. I guess I could just buy a few of them and see if I get one that doesn't do it. Man, it sounds so good too. My V30 cab that I always thought sounded great sounds like crap compared to this. I think it's time for a pair of Gov's for that cab and maybe I will try something different in the combo, maybe something that is rated for a little more power?

5. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Supporting Member

6. frankencat

What do the V12's sound like as compared to the Gov's?

7. Wallace

Wallace Silver Supporting Member

+1 On the Gov.
    After eons of V30 ear damage, the Gov gets the vote:AOK
    W

8. Tuberattler

Tuberattler Member

Sometimes it takes a few hours for speakers to break in and I've had them do what you're describing before being broken in at high volume.

How many hours do you have on them.. My cali Weber took about 15- 20 hours to sweeten!

9. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Supporting Member

They are very similar, but the V12 is smoother and darker. It has more of an 'alnico' sound.

10. frankencat

That's what I am hoping. I *just* took it out the box and installed it tonight. I have been playing on it for about 3 hours. Sounds great, I guess I just have to watch the volume.

11. frankencat

Well it's been a few days and this speaker is definitely crapping out in this amp. I can't even get the clean channel to 2 without it crying a horrendous screech. Cool thing is I emailed Emi and they are sending me another one to try out :) Great customer service. Hopefully the new speaker will be better than the one I have because other than the nasty cone cry it sounds super nice as long as I keep the volume down.

12. adlibmusic

adlibmusic Member

Hi Frank, FWIW, I replaced the V30 with EMI red, white, and blues. To my ole dead ears, that is a great match for the amp. I also replaced all the preamp tubes with EH's and the power tubes with TAD's. I love this amp. If you would like to hear some clips of the supersonic with these mods, go here.
    Cheers!

13. frankencat

Wow, very cool. Would you consider building another head cab and selling it, or maybe sharing the plans?

I think I lean more towards the way the V30 sounds. I had a Texas Heat and it was a little too smooth. The Governor is right in between what your sounds like with the RWB and the V30 but with a little more balls. It's really just about perfect for what I do but if I can't get one that works then I will probably just stick the V30 back in there.