Superstrat - Talk Me Into or Out Of One

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by gtrfinder, Mar 1, 2012.

1. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Supporting Member

I'm a vintage guitar lover at heart. Probaly what some of you would call an AVH, but whatever I love old guitars. That said I've gotten into several semi regular gigs lately that require me to set up and tear down really quickly and bring one guitar that can do many different styles of music. Right now my electrics are a '66 Fender Tele and a '58 Jr. The Jr does the balls out rock and the Tele does everything else. I love the power of the Jr, but the Tele wins in overall versatility because of the neck pickup. I don't really mind taking these guitars out on a gig, but it would be nice not to have to worry about them, and have a guitar with a lot of versatility.

My first decent electric guitar was a hybrid no name Asian strat-style body mated with an American strat neck. I ripped out the cheapo pickups and put in Tom Anderson split singles in the neck and bridge and a Dimarzio Super Distortion in the bridge. Everything on that guitar was beat up and modded to hell and back. It was my only guitar for several years and I did probably 100 gigs with the thing. Since then I developed a love of vintage guitars and got different gigs. I dont have that old Strat anymore, but for some reason Im getting the itch to try a superstrat style guitar like that again. Maybe a used Suhr or Tyler to help defray some of the cost, or.... I could try to put together my own....

Any of you guys have an opinion one way or the other, or been in a similar situation? Talk me off the ledge here or shove me over. Im interested to see the responses.

2. jb4674

jb4674 Member

I've always been tempted to put an Ibanez JS neck on a Strat body. I think it would be super cool.

3. treedroppings

treedroppings Member

Cheap these days, if you don't mind a thin neck! I once had an 84 Aria RS for only 200. Fun guitar! And a fender Lead is still fairly cheap (no trem though). I would go for a Travis Bean myself LOL

4. JohnSykes

JohnSykes Member

To me, a Superstrat is a Strat... But better.

I love the middle and neck pickup but i believe a good humbucker (a PAF or something like that) is the way to go in any guitar.

I love Blackmore, i love Yngwie but i always prefer the fatter, warmer sound of a humbucker.

5. shane88

shane88 Member

superstrats rule! go play some

6. Lemon Crush

Lemon Crush Member

The only superstrats I've ever like were EVH's Black/White, and those early Ibanez RGs that came in those awesome colors.

7. bismark

bismark Member

Don't be a boring traditionalist. Go for it!

8. shane88

shane88 Member

9. MGBlues

MGBlues Member

If I had the cash i'd be picking up one of these...

Never been a big fan of the Floyd Rose units but I could make an exception. The neck looks amazing and I love the colour.

[​IMG]

10. Lemon Crush

Lemon Crush Member

11. mesa/kramer

mesa/kramer Member

Lot's of options on the cheap or for more.

Check out the "Best Whammy bar VH guitar Thread" above this one.

12. xroads

xroads Member

can you define 'superstrat' a bit more?

Do you need a Floyd-Rose type trem?
    you need HBs?
    how much do you want to spend?

I would get one of the Suhrs S1/2, which are basically Strat with a stable trem and a HB in the bridge position.

13. shioks76

shioks76 Member

I assume thats your main concern. Try a jtv variax 89 for the shredder metal style look. For something more conservative looking the variax 69 would be great.

14. straycat113

straycat113 Member

I think everyone should have at least one Super Strat in the rack! My preferences are an EBMM EVH/Axis or Peavey Wolfgang Standard. Both are great playing and sounding guitars with non floating trems and non finished necks.

15. b2sc

b2sc Member

I play classic LP Customs and hanging on a stand nearby for the next song is a Jackson Bengal. Quite the polar opposites.

IMO, a Super Strat include a floating trem ala Floyd.

Go check out a Charvel San Dimas or SoCal. Fantastic qulaity for the $$, great build qulaity and a hell of a lot of fun to play.

16. J3F

J3F Member

My 87 ibanez 540s is everything I have ever wanted in one guitar, it was inevitable really that I'd end up playing something like this....

It's replaced my tele, LP, strat... Awesome.

17. Wake911

Wake911 Member

Fender HM Strats. about $500 on the bay. how old becomes vintage?? haha, the best ones were aaround '88 so that's 24 years, that's kind of vintage super strat, ha.

18. itstooloudMike

itstooloudMike Member

I'm a traditional player as well, who leans toward vintage-type guitar designs. But I occasionally feel the need for a more "modern" type of guitar. Being a Strat guy, the obvious choice was a super-strat. And actually, many good ones are real bargains. But I don't like a real thin (front to back) neck, so most of the Ibanez models wouldn't work for me. Instead, I went for a used Japan-made Jackson Pro-Series guitar. I like maple fretboards, and found an almost mint DK2M for under $400. It's got a neck carve that feels about the same as a typical Fender Strat, but with the compound radius fretboard. The build quality is top notch, and it came stock with Duncan JB/59. It's got the Floyd-type trem, and never goes out of tune. It's actually getting a lot of play time in my heard, and I have several high-end electrics. It's comfortable, with good weight and balance, plays really fast, and sounds pretty awesome for most music. Probably the best guitar I've bought in a long time for under $1K.

19. tsar nicholas

tsar nicholas Member

Superstrats are hip and ultra versatile. Go for it

20. poolshark

poolshark Supporting Member

I'll echo the Charvel sentiments as well. So Cals and San Dimas(es) are shreddy, but something about them is still muscle car classic. Love my Pro Mod Style 2.