Superstrat? Why not a supertele?

Wheelbarrow

I've been playing superstrats and dual humbucking guitars for my whole life. Whenever the day comes for me to get another guitar, I'm thinking about doing something different. Everybody does the superstrat thing, so why not do the same thing to a tele? Who says a tele with humbuckers and a floyd can't be awesome?

If I could get a guitar like this now, I'd probably do a heavy swamp ash body with a pau ferro neck/fingerboard, with either a duckbeak or hockey stick headstock. Non-recessed original floyd. Pups would probably be either Bill Lawrence L500XL/C (bright I know but it works great for rock/metal if you've got the right setup) or some VHish bridge pup with a good versatile neck bucker.

What do you all think of the concept? Anybody have experience using a tele with humbuckers in an over the top mullet rock situation?

TwoTubMan

The traditionalists will be at your door with torches, pitchforks, tar and feathers any minute now.

yumanike

I have a stupid question. How would a Tele with the above setup sound different than a Strat with the exact same setup? My understandings of why a Tele sounded like a Tele and a Strat sounded like a Strat was that the Tele had strings through the body and no tremelo and a Strat does. Plus the way the Tele's bridge pickup is setup a little different which helps to give it the twang. So to wrap it up, how would the San Dimas Style 2 sound different than a Strat type guitar with the exact same setup? Go easy, I'm still pretty new to all of this!

Blauserk

Silver Supporting Member
Hamer TLE is sort of a "supertele"--set neck single cutaway with a Telecaster profile and (if memory serves) dual humbuckers. I think I've seen 'em with Floyds. Poster above has a good point, though, that such an instrument wouldn't differ that much sonically from a superstrat.

Maybe a "supertele" should have a super-trebly bridge pup for the ultimate in spank and twang.

Tone_Terrific

Supporting Member
Solid body, 2 hb, 25.5 scale.. Floyd.
Don't you have one?
Don't expect much from a body shape modification.
Not that there is anything wrong with spec'ing out a Tele shaped guitar.:banana

Jellecaster

I have a stupid question. How would a Tele with the above setup sound different than a Strat with the exact same setup? My understandings of why a Tele sounded like a Tele and a Strat sounded like a Strat was that the Tele had strings through the body and no tremelo and a Strat does. Plus the way the Tele's bridge pickup is setup a little different which helps to give it the twang. So to wrap it up, how would the San Dimas Style 2 sound different than a Strat type guitar with the exact same setup? Go easy, I'm still pretty new to all of this!
The difference is pretty slight. The "Tele" version is a little darker because of the extra body mass. That's about it. I got the "Tele" version of the San Dimas because I'm a Tele fanatic.

enharmonic

Old Growth
Gold Supporting Member
because Tele's are already super enough. :dude

Wouldn't mind owning one of the early Schecter PT's though.

Pietro

2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy
Okay, it's hollow and 24.75" scale... but pretty super...

Pietro

2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy
I would never, myself, insult a fine instrument with a Floyd...

;)

Drew816

WOH! That above Tele is bad a$$, I love it!

And it's not about 'the Tele sound,' you're loosing that if you're throwing in Humbuckers it's all about the LOOKS! There's just something 'classic' about the Tele body and I think it looks very cool hot-rodded and I actually like the looks with a pointy neck but I'm obviously in the minority here.

If the new Charvel "Tele's" had Tele headstocks I'd buy one but they're just not 'right' in my eyes with a Strat headstock; FMIC is just throwing parts together on their new line-up of Super Strat's and Teles which is cool but I'll stick with my originals. So here's my line-up of Super Tele's:

Original '83 Charvel neck on a modern Schecter Mahogany body w/ Kahler Floyd Rose unit:

Callaham Flametop hot-rod, 83 Duncan '59 in the bridge and late '50s P-90 in the neck:

And one I never should have sold, an 86 Jackson Tele with a Kahler. It was kind of a beast so I sold it off and have regret'ed it ever since.

Mick Mars had some AWESOME Hamer Tele's, I'd love to have one of those as well!

Trending Topics