Superunknown

Gas Hed

Arguably the most underrated recording of the '90s. And I'm one that took way too long to appreciate the thoughtful songwriting and tones on it. Caught up with Ten and Vs. and Core and In Utero and, yeah, all the others. This thing shines. Listen to Head Down, then Like Suicide, then the popular ones like Spoonman with the real spoon solo. Damnnnn!

94prs22

Platinum Supporting Member
What Universe am I in?
A FIVE times Platinum album is underrated?

Put on Ultramega OK, now there's a record that didn't chart & is underrated.
I like Louder than Love, but that one is Gold.
I completely agree, Ultramega OK is way underrated, Beyond the Wheel is Superamazing every day of the world and twice on Sundays. Badmotorfinger is my personal favorite Soundgarden album front to back.
Brandon

E2942

I didn't enjoy the album right after it, Down on the Upside or something, haven't bought a Soundgarden record since.

JK1965

Gold Supporting Member
It’s the album that got me into them. I was almost 30 when it came out but I worked with some younger people at the time and kept hearing about Soundgarden. Of course Blackhole Sun was on heavy rotation on rock radio at the time. Me being from the “album” generation where the best tunes were almost always not the radio hits, simply had to get it and find out. It took me a couple listens as it was quite different from the heavier stuff I grew up on. Then one day and a bunch of beers it hit me and hit me hard! One of those albums I couldn’t stop listening to. Just one great song after another.

I went back and got some earlier ones and got the next one DOTUS.

While they all had something good going on, nothing ever equaled or topped Superunknown for me. Yes one of the best albums of its time which puts it on a list with some of the best ever.

thrashmetl

Honestly Superunknown and Down on the Upside are my two favorite Soundgarden albums. I love all of their records and I know that I probably would feel a lot different if I had actually discovered them on say Louder Than Love, but DOTUS is very underrated. Cornell actually said that DOTUS was the album he was most proud of.

FuzzyAce

I can think of at least 7 songs from that album that got tons of airplay, some tracks more than others obviously. Being underrated must pay well!!

MJR

I've been on board with the pure genius and brilliance of Superunknown from the first day it was released back in 1994. must've listened to that album thousands and thousands of times over the past 28 years.

I remember walking to the mall to buy it the day it came out! I also remember stopping at Subway on the way home and reading the liner notes while I ate that dry, boring sandwich.

Strummerfan

I didn't enjoy the album right after it, Down on the Upside or something, haven't bought a Soundgarden record since.
I have to disagree. Down on the upside was an incredible record. It not only showed a brilliant maturing of Chris' writing style, it was one of the most varied and textured of their work. As to Superunknown, yeah that's a great album. Not as good as Badmotorfinger, but really good. I always loved 4th of July. Slow , plodding, and heavy as hell. For the longest time I was on the fence about Just like Suicide, but it ended being one of my favorite tracks off the album. That's one of my favorite things about Soundgarden, some of their stuff just jumps out and slaps you in the face, while other songs plant a seed that grows like, well, like a garden.

E2942

I also like the previous album better & the next was a step in the wrong direction.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom