Superunknown

Strummerfan

Huge Cornell devotee here...to me, Superunknown was Soundgarden at their zenith. Almost everything on that album is so damn good (I can do without "Half"), and the quality of the recording/sonics is unmatched, as far as their stuff goes. And, for my money, Cornell never sounded better than he as was captured for that album. Only possible comparison for me is his voice on Temple of the Dog.

Since others mentioned Badmotorfinger, I acknowledge that in a way it seems more "Soundgarden" than Superunknown does to me, but there are a few on Badmotorfinger that I usually skip. As for Down on the Upside, for my money it is too eclectic, and it seems like like their mojo was already slipping away and that comes through sonically...but not without capturing a few gems on that one.

But for someone who loves Soundgarden for the other guys and the variety, I can see Badmotorfinger being a preference and Superunknown being a deviation from that standard.
I agree on everything accept Down on the Upside. The eclectic nature of that album is why it's one of my favorite albums. I grew up on the Clash, so the more variety the better in my opinion. And Burden in my Hand is one of my favorite vocal songs of Cornell's.

E2942

we all know about Mudhoney. they're far from an "underground" Seattle band
The comment wasn't that they are an underground band.
The comment was that they are underrated. They are still active!
How is that for underrated, since most people probably don't realize that.

ggwwbb

Silver Supporting Member
A friend gave me a copy of Louder Than Love in early 1990, when I was 21 and I was hooked. Promptly got Ultramega OK, Screaming Life/FOPP, and just about anything else I could find from Seattle. I just about wore out a cassette of Badmotorfinger and did completely wear out a copy of Superunknown. It would be hard for me to pick out a favorite Soundgarden record, but if I absolutely had to, I'd probably say Superunknown....

While I appreciate the arguments against it being underrated, given it's popularity at the time, I would argue it is somewhat underrated with respect to its place in the overall "Rock" genre. This record, for me, gives any classic rock or hard rock album a run for its money.

Re: Mudhoney - I love them, but man, Green River and The U-Men are the Seattle bands that I turn to most these days.

Green River, Love Battery, Mother Love Bone, and Screaming Trees are main go-tos. Have you heard the new 10 Minute Warning release, "This Could Be Heaven: The Lost 1984 Recordings"? It's really good. You can really hear their influence on quite a few of the Seattle bands that came after them, notably The U-Men and Green River. Check it out if you haven't.

LPSlinger

Fantastic album. Soundgarden was amazing and Superunknown was a great album. Actually from Louder Than Love to Down On The Upside they were on an incredible roll. Those 4 albums are all top notch IMO.

94prs22

Platinum Supporting Member
I remain a huge Mother Love Bone fan and I break out Green River every once in a while too. I haven't listened to a Mudhoney record in ages.

Like some of the earlier posts, I absolutely agree that 4th of July is my favorite track on Superunknown and in mind mind it's the high point in the "heavy" riff progression from Flower -> Outshined -> 4th of July.

As a complete aside, my favorite "heavy" track from the late 80s-early 90s Seattle bands was Behemoth from Tad. I still break God's Balls (or Salt Lick) out about once a month :).
Brandon

Slo Lerner

I agree on everything accept Down on the Upside. The eclectic nature of that album is why it's one of my favorite albums. I grew up on the Clash, so the more variety the better in my opinion. And Burden in my Hand is one of my favorite vocal songs of Cornell's.
The variety is a big part of its magic to me too.

katuna

Gold Supporting Member
A friend gave me a copy of Louder Than Love in early 1990, when I was 21 and I was hooked. Promptly got Ultramega OK, Screaming Life/FOPP, and just about anything else I could find from Seattle. I just about wore out a cassette of Badmotorfinger and did completely wear out a copy of Superunknown. It would be hard for me to pick out a favorite Soundgarden record, but if I absolutely had to, I'd probably say Superunknown....

Green River, Love Battery, Mother Love Bone, and Screaming Trees are main go-tos. Have you heard the new 10 Minute Warning release, "This Could Be Heaven: The Lost 1984 Recordings"? It's really good. You can really hear their influence on quite a few of the Seattle bands that came after them, notably The U-Men and Green River. Check it out if you haven't.

I do need to check that out. Also, there is this....

SciFlyer

Gold Supporting Member
Ultramega OK, Louder Than Love, Badmotorfinger > Superunknown.
Underrated Seattle band/ album? Love Battery- Dayglo

ggwwbb

Silver Supporting Member
I do need to check that out. Also, there is this....

Got that one a few weeks ago. Great record too!

Ultramega OK, Louder Than Love, Badmotorfinger > Superunknown.
Underrated Seattle band/ album? Love Battery- Dayglo

1000% on Love Battery! Behind Screaming Trees, they're probably my favorite band. Dayglo and Between The Eyes are pure Seattle/grunge gold. Hell, I even love Far Gone, Straight Freak Ticket, and Confusion Au Go Go!

TubeStack

Silver Supporting Member
Superunknown is an undisputed classic, with many of the deeper cuts being strong enough to be main songs on a different album, if that makes sense. I was a huge fan of it at the time and played the heck out of it.

That being said, I never listen to Superunknown anymore, but I have never stopped listening to Badmotorfinger at any point in my life. That one has had far more staying power, for me.

Gms

Silver Supporting Member
I have to say I’ve been underrating it lately, as I haven’t thought to listen to it for ages, kind of just off the map. I put it on last night and remembered how much I loved it. One of the best albums of that era by anyone.

SciFlyer

Gold Supporting Member
Got that one a few weeks ago. Great record too!

1000% on Love Battery! Behind Screaming Trees, they're probably my favorite band. Dayglo and Between The Eyes are pure Seattle/grunge gold. Hell, I even love Far Gone, Straight Freak Ticket, and Confusion Au Go Go!
Yes! Far Gone is amazing as well. Straight Freak Ticket is another very underrated record. Much more produced- maybe even weird for them. But they had major label money. So many jams on that one. Confusion is pretty solid though I wouldn’t put it up there with the others. Snipe Hunt and Punks Want Rights are the stand out tracks that come to mind.

Also- recently read the Lanegan book (it was… depressing) but sent me on a Screaming Trees kick. Forgot how great Uncle Anesthesia and Buzz Factory were.

Dashface

Arguably the most underrated recording of the '90s. And I'm one that took way too long to appreciate the thoughtful songwriting and tones on it. Caught up with Ten and Vs. and Core and In Utero and, yeah, all the others. This thing shines. Listen to Head Down, then Like Suicide, then the popular ones like Spoonman with the real spoon solo. Damnnnn!

When I was a kid and a teen in the 90s I was all about Pearl Jam…. And then slowly got into some of the other stuff. I never looked back when I first heard Superunknown. Just an unreal album.

Killer songwriting, unreal sounds and tone, unequaled performances, one of the greatest drummers of all time, and of course Cornell’s unbeatable vocals.

What a record. Superunknown and Down on The Upside were basically always in my CD player back then (only matched by BSSM and Siamese Dream).

I could still listen to Superunknown today and genuinely enjoy it - which I couldn’t say about a lot of things almost 30 years on.

pete692

Silver Supporting Member
What Universe am I in?
A FIVE times Platinum album is underrated?

Put on Ultramega OK, now there's a record that didn't chart & is underrated.
I like Louder than Love, but that one is Gold.
I think what he is talking about is where the album stands today as far as legacy is concerned. In that respect, I agree with him, it is slightly less revered than it should be - today. However, to me, Badmotorfinger was the peak, easily on par with Nevermind, but Superunknown was the big payday- promoted to the max 24/7. Also, much like PJ’s Ten, Superunknown and in particular that video for Black Hole Sun was just played into the ground. Maybe that’s why people don’t talk about it as much anymore, guys that were there are sick of it. Nirvana managed to avoid all this with the tragedy of losing Cobain. It made everything they did seem so rare and precious.

BTW, what an absolutely marvelous time to be 19 and have a set of ears. Dammit, I took it all for granted. It was all great, so great. ALL OF IT. People who came up 20 years after and believe that there is some kind of vibrant music scene lurking out there that you have to go hunt down on Spotify just have no idea how great things were, how could they? What’s the point of reference? Great bands were like weeds. Even some of the crappy pandering bands were pretty damned exciting by today’s standards. I’d gladly go to a music store and pay 20 bucks a pop for thoughtfully conceived and passionately executed music on cd’s if it supported the existence of the kind of cohesive personal and musical statements that were standard issue up until about 2001. Don’t misunderstand me, I’m not bitching about today’s music, I’m lamenting the utterly featureless musical landscape I have to actively navigate now only in comparison to back when I could see a Soundgarden or AIC video on TV and actually somehow be bored by it. I weep

Last edited:

Frond

best album by a Seattle band by a country mile

Superunknown
Grace
OK Computer

the three rock standouts of the 90’s

dcburn

Silver Supporting Member
Our local record store had a countdown in the window until the album dropped, picked it up the day it was released.
For me, it didn't compare to Badmotorfinger. But I did like it better than Louder Than Love.

I want to add though, at the time this record was released, grunge was really starting to move. Like the Black album, those catchy songs were all over the radio and MTV. Overkill for sure for me! So part of me not really caring was because it was everywhere like the Black album. Songs just didn't strike a nerve with me. Spoonman was the new Sandman. I admit, I'm not the biggest grunge fan out there, but realize there is some killer music that was recorded within the genre...

TheClev

As seen on TV
I was very disappointed when Soundgarden broke up, and when they regrouped and released King Animal the magic was gone.

I thought it was one of the better albums released by a regrouped band from that era. King Animal was certainly better than anything Alice in Chains or Pearl Jam was putting out at the time IMO.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom