Superunknown

BrettMS

Silver Supporting Member
I was a massive, MASSIVE Pearl Jam fan as a teenager in the early 90s. I also preferred STP and Alice in Chains to Soundgarden. However, as the years have turned over, and after listening to Superunknown intently, I've come to think of it as a Mt. Rushmore album of that era. Sonically, it's freaking amazing and the Warren Huart interview with Michael Bienhorn is well worth the time.

It blows me away with its heavy metal/psychedelia/classic rock modes. Limo Wreck takes the cake.

BrettMS

Silver Supporting Member
Also I see that avatar from the cover of Throwing Copper @Gas Hed :D

Selling the Drama will always take me back to the summer of 1994, again. Such a great year for music (MTV Unplugged, TTWS Dulcinea, Weezer's blue album, STP's Purple, REM's Monster, a hundred others).

Man, you're speaking it. I was about to enter my senior year in high school and can still remember vividly watching the videos for Black Hole Sun, Vasoline, and Shine from Collective Soul during my lunch break teaching swimming lessons. And then buying Purple which was the soundtrack for the rest of that summer. Followed by Throwing Copper, Weezer, Amorica, and Vitalogy to cap the year off.

Jarick

Silver Supporting Member
Man, you're speaking it. I was about to enter my senior year in high school and can still remember vividly watching the videos for Black Hole Sun, Vasoline, and Shine from Collective Soul during my lunch break teaching swimming lessons. And then buying Purple which was the soundtrack for the rest of that summer. Followed by Throwing Copper, Weezer, Amorica, and Vitalogy to cap the year off.
Totally! I got my first drumset that Christmas and joined a band next year then started playing guitar soon after. Definitely kicked off that phase of my life!

muzishun

Arguably the most underrated recording of the '90s. And I'm one that took way too long to appreciate the thoughtful songwriting and tones on it. Caught up with Ten and Vs. and Core and In Utero and, yeah, all the others. This thing shines. Listen to Head Down, then Like Suicide, then the popular ones like Spoonman with the real spoon solo. Damnnnn!

We are so proud of Ben and this song! One of the best on this amazing album imo!

zygoat

Silver Supporting Member
An immense record that had a huge impact on my life. I love how it evoked so many different emotions; fun stuff like "Spoonman," the quirkiness of "Half," and the downright bleakness of "4th of July." "Like Suicide" usually brings me to tears when I blast it in my car; such an amazing vocal performance and Matt Cameron especially shines on that track. This album was also my introduction to alternate tunings -- huge deal for me.

wildschwein

I believe it was proabably the best album of the '90s and I was of aware of that when it came out. With hindsight I feel the same now. It was just a very special, epic bit of work with an exceptional aura to it that you just don't come across all that much. The mix and production is also brilliant. Michael Beinhorn really drew the best out of the band and he said in an interview that he actually rejected the first round of demo songs that Cornell presented to him.

Tele-Vision

Silver Supporting Member
Off topic, but the guitar Cornell's using in this video looks just like Adam Jones' from Tool... :huh
The dude from Smashing Pumkins played one as well.

ui66thlgxpt01.jpg

Love that the most popular song from the album (and Soundgarden’s biggest song period) is pretty unique as far as Soundgarden songs go.

Kim Thayil has said in interviews that when Chris brought it in, the band knew immediately that it was a great song—but they were concerned that it might not be an appropriate song for Soundgarden. They were not initially sure how they would all fit into what was at heart, a singer-songwriter style Chris Cornell song. Fortunately, they made it work, and then some.

Oh, and Superunknown is obviously not underrated. It’s widely, and rightly, rated as one of the greatest albums of the 90s. It’s a masterful artistic statement that to this day resonates. May Soundgarden’s—and Chris’s—music inspire generations to come.

enharmonic

Chairman of the Bored
Platinum Supporting Member
Well worth an hour if you enjoy Superunknown. Michael Beinhorn's production is the "fifth Beatle" of Superunknown, IMO.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom