Suppose I turned my Tele tone knob into a bass-contour knob?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by NoahL, Feb 23, 2009.

1. NoahL

NoahL Member

I rarely use my tone knob. I roll it off to 7 or 8 and leave it there all the time, because that's where it takes the edge off the treble without getting too muddy. But I owned a G&L S-500 (Strat-style) that had the bass-contour knob too, and that thing was amazing. It shaped the tone in more useful ways than the treble tone knob did on the same guitar. How could I a) get my guitar to mimic the effect of the current tone knob permanently rolled off to 7 (some permanent capacitor?) and b) turn the current tone knob into a bass-contour knob? I know that the G&L bass-contour pot is just a different spec, and maybe it's wired differently than a treble pot, but it's pretty simple.

Does this sound like a good idea in general? Thanks.

2. jdogjent

jdogjent Member

So you are saying you do not want your tele to sound/perform like everyone elses, thats just ridiculous.

3. elkym

elkym Member

Yeah... I like the idea... but a Tele is supposed to be bright, snappy, jangly, etc.

As for how to do it? To roll off to a 7 or so, you'd need a resistor and you'd have to measure what the pot is reading out at when it's set at 7, then use the resistor instead of the pot-- as for a bass contour... well... ya got me. :dunno

4. Hargrett

Hargrett Member

5. NoahL

NoahL Member

I assume you're being funny, because who wants to sound just like everyone else? True, it's nice to have "classic" tones available, but it's also nice when your tone matches what you hear in your head. In my case, I don't actually have a Tele -- it's a G&L ASAT Special, with the strong, clear, fat MFD pickups. Those pickups do amazing things when teamed with a bass-rolloff pot in G&L's Strat-style guitars, so I was curious about having one in my ASAT. And since I'm not a big "tone knob" user, I thought a bass-rolloff might get more use and give me an interesting range of very nice, unique tones. Nothing wrong with all that, if you ask me.

6. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

Get a concentric stacked pots to have a tone and bass contour controls. Best of both worlds.