Supposed demo of Boss SY-300 polyphony

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ERGExplorer, Apr 17, 2015.

1. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

Well, apparenly *someone* has noticed that people were talking about the lack of a clear demonstration of the polyphony of the new Boss SY-300, and gave the Boss rep an opportunity to show what "polyphonic synth" means in practice.

And it apparently means wanking monophonically for the majority of the demo, and possibly three-note polyphony for 20 seconds from 2:02 to 2:22.

It would take less than a minute of video to kill all the sound except for a six-string chord. "Here's what we mean by polyphonic. *chords spanning the neck, played through different sounds* See? Fully polyphonic!"

I've sat through demos where reps didn't want to give a straight answer. That "polyphony" demo felt like it wanted to dazzle me with stacked oscillator monophonic madness, so I might forget about the actual polyphony question to be answered.

I am disappoint.

2. D Rock

D Rock Member

Sounds good to me.:dunno

3. olejason

olejason Supporting Member

I'm not sure what you guys expect. Boss has never done PGS style demos for upcoming products. They've always done these short little noodley videos which are presumably aimed at the Japanese market.

4. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

I understand that they wouldn't do a full demo, or show off all the features, when they are just showcasing the unit in general.

The point of that demo above is contained in its name, though.

"MESSE 2015: Demo of Polyphony on the BOSS SY-300 Guitar Synth"

With that title, someone of average intelligence and above would expect it to be a demo of polyphony on the Boss SY-300 guitar synth.

Since you don't agree, what would *you* expect of a demo with that title?

5. JJ Fux

JJ Fux Member

Yeah, I know eh?

Polyphony is like different, separate, voices played together, like Bach's Bouree... I think.

Chord thing is like harmony, man.

6. JJ Fux

JJ Fux Member

Not polyphonic I think, but he plays harmony (chords) @ 7:25.

7. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

That guy has done that same riff in a few videos.

I can actually do the same kind of chord stuff on guitar with units as limited as the Ibanez SB7. That's a filter being applied to the sound, but doesn't show me a synth tracking the individual strings.

For those who don't understand why that's an important distinction, here's what is being claimed: Boss has now come up with a unit which does synthesis like their previous units, but without requiring a hexaphonic pickup like the previous units.

There are lots of units which can trigger an envelope when you play a block of strings. My old Qtron Plus can do it, and it's pretty old. So can various settings on units like the DigiTech Synth Wah and the Boss SYB-5.

However, at least up until last month, there have been zero units which could recognize the attack and pitch of the individual strings without a special pickup which has an individual pickup for each string. The processor listens to each string for an attack and the pitch info, as well as cut-off, and drives each individual synth voice based on that.

By bringing up the "no special pickup needed!" thing, Boss is implying very heavily that the processor can do what the previous processors could do *with* that pickup. Otherwise, if it can't, then bringing up the pickup just seems like a way to trick possible purchasers into thinking that it can.

So, if the unit truly can track the notes polyphonically, then show us that. Hold two or three notes while moving two or three other notes.

I'm starting to get that sinking feeling I had in one meeting, where one rep finally answered a direct question with a "No, it can't do that," before they again started to imply that it could.

I already use filtering options which let me get close to this stuff. Even the Source Audio Manta and Stingray get synthy while playing the way chosen for that part of the demo. Give me a reason to go further, and demonstrate the polyphonic tracking claim in action.

I want to believe, but am having doubts based on what they haven't been willing or able to show.

8. to_be_released

to_be_released Member

This is my stance at the moment.

I REALLY want it to be capable of full, six note polyphonic tracking - simply because I want that level of technology to hit the market. I study DSP at a postgrad level, so I'm aware of the difficulty associated with real time polyphonic pitch tracking.

And so far, the only feature I'm truly interested in has been barely touched, leaving me to wonder how capable it really is. None of the chosen sounds in the demos have particularly impressed me - at this stage what I'm hoping for is that it's capable of converting your playing into a midi signal without the need for a hexaphonic pickup - and then I could run that into something else to get synth sounds (or other instrument sounds) I actually like. Unfortunately, that's seeming less and less likely to be an option.

At the moment, if I want to drop that level of money on making my guitar sound like a synth, I think I'd buy a couple of moogerfoogers (low pass filter and freq box, maybe).

9. tochiro

tochiro Member

Sounds like bad outdated synth sounds.

10. Able Grip

Able Grip Member

El Stinko. Any way you slice it.

11. MarkF786

MarkF786 Member

I think it's telling that they released it a Boss product instead of Roland.

12. jsytsma

jsytsma Member

Wouldn't the Eventide Pitchfactor achieve most of these sounds? and for cheaper. Maybe the Boss one has more vintage sounding synthy stuff...

13. olejason

olejason Supporting Member

I have no idea. Boss/Roland didn't publish the video. That video was taped at Musikmesse. Trade show 'demos' are very different from what you guys seem to be wanting/expecting.

14. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Daft Punk is excited about this.

I think it sounds like a toy. I'm sure it costs $700 too.

15. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

I went looking for more info, and found that the dedicated Boss/Roland forums also have topics questioning the lack of a demo of the claimed polyphonic synthesis.

On the plus side, I had stopped using the Boss Gt-10 for a while, but that has some great monophonic synth capabilities, as well as being capable of synth-like polyphonic tones. I'm going to start using all thise patches again, in preparation of either the SY-300 allowing me to extend the monophonic stuff to be polyphonic, or to be able to judge if the SY-300 stuff isn't really much of a extension.

@MarkF - I believe Roland/Boss announced that they're putting all guitar-specific gear under the Boss name. The also recently rebranded the Roland Cube amps, taking the Roland name off of the grill.

16. Stu Cats

Stu Cats Member

I am awaiting a demo called "Tones in the theme of Miami Vice".

17. josecarlosfuentes

josecarlosfuentes Member

Polyphonic synthesizer?, yeah, it can trigger polyphonic tones. You can trigger chords playing a single note on the guitar. I can do that with a Sonuus G2M. But that is different from polyphonic pitch detection. The latter should allow you to play a six-strings chord on the guitar and hear the same notes played by the synthesizer.

18. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

When somebody can show me a gadget that will do a B-3 as well as a Roland GR-55 (and no it's not a B-9 or C-9) and the "Metheny trumpet sound" in a unit that doesn't need a 13 pin cable. I'll buy it.

19. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

Enjoy your new Kemper Profiling Amp!

20. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Thanks for the research and suggestion, but not even close.