• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Supposing Hendrix didn't die in 1970...

shark_bite

... do you think he might have jumped the shark in the 70s? The man gave us some amazing music before he checked out, but what if he had gone all Stevie Wonder on us and then turned out a bunch of **** after the golden years? Do you think we'd still look at his legacy the same way? Maybe he'd have gotten really heavy into disco or something, you know?

pickaguitar

2011 TGP Silver Medalist
Gold Supporting Member
If he hadn't of died...then we would have been able to hear the Black Gold record???

yellowecho

i'd like to think he'd probably follow a similar path of clapton [he'd get tired of the rock thing and go bare-bones acoustic and blues.. roots music..pairing with other good (blues) artists for collaborations].
also, like clapton, he'd still be a legend.. just not legendary..
although, he really liked experimenting with new sounds... so he'd probably embrace a lot of new technology and effects... so maybe he would have gone more electronic.. or perhaps just a producer..?

Last edited:

Brooks

doug stanhope does a bit about that.

"how do we know that if hendrix had lived he wouldn't be lame by now?
playing w/ elton on the superbowl halftime show,
"rocket maaaaaaaannnn, arr-whEEEEEEEEEE Whaaaaaaaaa"...

leftyaxeslinger

Silver Supporting Member
I think at some point, given his frustrations with mamagement and financial woes, he would have had to do something sort of commercial/cheesy/whatever. Funk looked like the direction he was going, but that could have lead to disco. Maybe getting together with some of the jazz greats would have lead him down a different path.

The 80's may not have been too kind to him - jehri curl, sterile digital processing, bad pointy clothes..../shiver/:worried....I don't even want to think about it...

takakat

His brain would be pretty much fried from LSD and sitting in a mental institute or gone clean from LSD and just sniffing coke and still be playing with his new hip hop group. He will never be playing with Eric Clapton for sure.

I'd like to think he'd be doing all sorts of great compelling things to this day, but probably not. I'd say by the time 1980 rolled around, he'd have done whatever he was gonna do.

EXP

Supporting Member
His brain would be pretty much fried from LSD and sitting in a mental institute or gone clean from LSD and just sniffing coke and still be playing with his new hip hop group. He will never be playing with Eric Clapton for sure.
Is this kid for real?

Thats a pretty ignorant statement not to mention complete ********.

zosozep7

Platinum Supporting Member
I can tell you one thing. There might be some people here who will agree and some not but Stevie Ray Vaughn was beginning to fizzle out before he died. I last seen him with Jeff Beck and I went to see Beck more then SRV and I was a huge SRV fan!

I know SRV was no Hendrix but look at EVH. Clapton is in a league of by himself with the road he has traveled down.

I personally dont think that Hendrix would be the legend he is, if not for passing.

I remember seeing Randy Rhoads with Ozzie before he died. I dont remember him being a huge guitar influence UNTIL after he died. Then they made this huge deal on him.

DWB1960

I remember seeing Randy Rhoads with Ozzie before he died. I dont remember him being a huge guitar influence UNTIL after he died. Then they made this huge deal on him.
Gotta disagree 100% with this. There was a huge buzz about Randy when that first Ozzy album was released. He was the first guy since EVH to get the guitar community crazy buzzing.

5E3

My guess is that the music he would want to write and record after 1970 would sound nothing like the recordings he left us with. Jimi had already voiced dissatisfaction with people wanting to hear only hits like Hey Joe. As others have noted, his displeasure with the business side of it might have pushed him out into a bit of isolation.

However, we will never know.

ReddRanger

I can tell you one thing. There might be some people here who will agree and some not but Stevie Ray Vaughn was beginning to fizzle out before he died. I last seen him with Jeff Beck and I went to see Beck more then SRV and I was a huge SRV fan!
I think I disagree with you on this one bro...

Wasn't SRV winning Grammy's at the time of his death and even after? I have to admit, I was pretty young at the time of his death. But everything I've seen/read leads me to believe he was on an upswing...

Bankston

Jimi was already moving toward jazz before he died.

I think that's where he eventually would've ended up.

kalender1

I read an interview in which he stated he would like to take time off and learn to read
and write music.I think given what he already achieved in terms of rock (and we are looking at his music from 40 years in the future) jazz,classical ect but through Jimi
Hendrix extraordinary creative technology embracing mind...I think it would be a total mind ****,as usual.

bluesjunior

I think Hendrix might eventually have made that long promised collaberation with Miles Davis which would have been very interesting to say the least. As for SRV I would have liked to hear him expand on the Lenny and Riviera Paradise side of his playing. That would also have been interesting to hear.

DiazDude

Jimi was already moving toward jazz before he died.

I think that's where he eventually would've ended up.
I think Hendrix might eventually have made that long promised collaberation with Miles Davis which would have been very interesting to say the least. As for SRV I would have liked to hear him expand on the Lenny and Riviera Paradise side of his playing. That would also have been interesting to hear.
I read an interview with Keith Emerson where he mentioned there was talk of a possible project with Jimi. That would have been interesting.

Trending Topics