Supposing Hendrix didn't die in 1970...

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by shark_bite, Mar 5, 2009.

1. dumbell78

dumbell78 Member

Sydney by way of Muddy Water Land (Chicago)
    Gotta agree! With that kind of logic, 3/4 of the 60's rock community would be like Syd and such.

I think he would have done the Jazz thing, go off to do the "pop rock" 80's stuff guys like Clapton and Winwood were doing in the 80's, and land right back to his roots much like Clapton did. The again what the hell do I know!?!?!:dunno

2. klatuu

klatuu Member

JImi was an innovator, in his guitar work, recording and writing. He would have liked to have worked with Winwood who he had great respect for. I don't think he would have fizzled or become brain-fried, but would have continued to create musically in whatever genre he progressed into. Give the man some credit please............

3. Bankston

Bankston Supporting Member

Stevie's career was peaking at the time of his death. Personally, I think he was playing better than ever after he got clean and sober. But I am a Texan and Stevie is a god in this state, so I'm a little biased.

4. wire 247

wire 247 Member

I think he would of gotten into fusion a lot more like maybe playing with billy cobham, miles, sly. I bet you he would of done something with parliment maybe but, I think he would of concentrated more on writing and less on touring which he talked about wanting to do. I think its crazy to say that he would of not been a legend if he had lived. The impact is still the same from the material we have, that material alone changed guitar and writing forever not to mention that the jazz and fusion players were taking note of his playing.
    I think if he could of kicked drugs which in turn means he would have to get rid of management because he was being worked and ****ed with to death. JIMI Would be a legend either way!!!

5. johnston

johnston Member

i agree that jimi would have moved heavily in the fusion direction. when you think about it, he probably pioneered the whole jazz-rock fusion thing without him knowing it. i mean, guys like mclaughlin and jeff beck were in awe of the guy. and when you listen to band of gypsys, he was already doing that kind of long improvisations and borrowing ideas from jazz. i think he would have been even greater of a legend although this is all just speculation.

6. mlynn02

mlynn02 Member

he was heading in a cool direction right up until the end. think how great 70's funk, Miles and Stevie Wonder, Sly Stone albums would have been with hendrix on 'em.

picture him with a full horn section for example, heady arrangements, jazz, fusion, reliable gear and good PA's.

he was hardly burned out...27 yrs old when he died. he hadn't peaked by any stretch, and i think there were a lot of different directions he was wanting to go in. i bet he may have gone through some cheesy periods, but not like stevie wonder who was "bubble gum" since the day he broke out.

hendrix somewhat resented the "act" he was pigeonholed into, and probably would have gotten into seriously heavy music if he has his way.

7. Alligator > jam

Alligator > jam Member

Patently false. I followed him closely from 1983 on and knew his addiction/rehab story well as it played out, like I'm sure many people here did. I saw him both at his worst (1985) and at his best (1989) and still collect his music and material about him. SRV was brimming with life and musical energy at the end, clean and sober and grateful for the gift of life.

There was a presence and power to his writing and playing during and post-In Step that was to me the definition of transcendent.

8. musicnut24-7

musicnut24-7 Member

I think after seeing how much of an impact the Band Of Gypsys would have on altering Black music throughout the 70's, he would've hooked up with Sly Stone, George Clinton, Miles Davis, David Sancious and Shuggie Otis for what would have easily been the scariest & flat out most funkiest fusion project on the planet! After that, Steve Winwood, Larry Lee, Stevie Wonder, Billy Gibbons, Terry Kath & Jimi would make the ultimate soul album and further blurring the genres of rock & r&b. He'd finally get some clarity by "graduating" from drug school, abandoning them and next, finally make the blues album that he always wanted to make. During the mid to late 80's, he'd reform the Experience & the B.O.G for a series of sold out concerts and be one the headliners at Live Aid! He'd also become "Sir James" after being knighted by the Queen for making the UK his true home. His legend would continue on just as it had before but like a wonderful fine wine, he'd only get better with age. But what really would have been the best thing of all is I would've had the chance to tell him THANK YOU for changing my life!

9. Bankston

Bankston Supporting Member

Yep.

10. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Yo ... down, down ... easy boy ...

Stevie Wonder turning out **** ....
    this hasn't happened yet to my knowledge.. no matter what years of his life ....

Yo dawg.... Where did you pick up that bone to chew on .... :jo

11. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

Supposing Hendrix didn't die in 1970...

Supposing 6, turned out to be 9...

12. isfahani

isfahani Member

well, "Ebony and Ivory" aside, that is... I gotta say, I prefer SW's 70's output to just about anything else he's done. And I was thinking the very same thing about Jimi (had he lived) being like Eric Clapton.
    Sorry, but hearing the acoustic version of Layla made me want to puke. Sting did the same thing, after a while. Thank ghod he got back with the Police, if even for a 'greatest hits' tour.

I wouldn't wish that syndrome on anyone, much less Jimi.

13. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

So then you're familiar with Stevie Wonder's stuff from the last decade or so right...?

14. Snail

Snail Member

I don't know what Hendrix would've done if he hadn't died. All I know is, I'd be listening to it!

And as for SRV -- I actually think some of the stuff he was doing towards the end of his life was the best... He was maturing in amazing ways...

They were both great gifts, and their early deaths were great losses to the world of music and guitar playing...

15. takakat

takakat Member

I am 59 years old and not a kid;)
    Hendrix is one of my all time favorite and I did lot of alcohol and drugs in younger days and I almost died few times from throwing up during sleep and choking like what happened to Jimi but I survived and now I am just sniffing white stuff now and then and playing guitar in a semi hip hop group so I am not trying to make any joke out of Jimi or offend anybody. If you did not like my comment you don't like my present situation but I am still playing a guitar and making a living so thats all it matters to me:D

16. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

There is a cheese factor to a lot of his later work. I'm sorry, I really can't stand all the synths and production... to me it's Superstition, Sir Duke, I Wish, all those good songs that define Stevie Wonder's career. When I hear I Just Called to Say I Love You, blech. No thanks. That sounds like cheesy pop to me.

As always, YMMV, but that's my opinion dammit :)

17. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Actually... Stevie's done a ton of great work since I Just called to say I love you..

In truth, I don't like that particular number either ...
    but really.. he's turned out some very hip stuff since then ... lot's of it too ...

18. karmadave

karmadave Supporting Member

I think Jimi was trying to take his music in a new direction. Longer song forms. Mixing different styles. Who knows what he might have cooked up at his brand new studio (Electric Ladyland), but one thing is for sure. His death was tragic and senseless!

As for SRV, he was at the top of his game when he died. In Step is a great album and really showed Stevie's maturity as a musician and songwriter.

Boy what I wouldn't give to see Jimi and Stevie play together...

-KD

19. takakat

takakat Member

I am not a kid but going sixty soon;) Hendrix's music inspired me to become a professional guitarist and I went through alcohols, drugs and lots of hijinx and almost ended up in mental institute to avoid prison time from drug posession charge but I survived and I just sniff some now and then and playing dance group and play some hip hop music to make living now so I am not trying to offend Jimi Hendrix or his fans in any means. I said Jimi would never be playing with Eric Clapton because I know he did not care for EC's guitar playing much. I don't think he would get involved too much with jazz because jazz musicians are people with less natural talent than Hendrix and they have to analize music rather than just play and why bother with jazz when Jimi could play like Jimi. I think Miles Davis was more influenced by Hendrix.

20. Celticdave

Celticdave Seeker Silver Supporting Member

I've just always wondered what he would have evolved into playing...I just loved Jimi playing Gibsons...

I've read several biographies about him, movies, etc and they all seem to wrap up around him moving towards a free jazz type element. You can definitely hear it in some of the bootleg tracks I've found here and there.