Supreme 16 is spoiling me

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by suhr_rodney, Jun 30, 2006.

1. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

I picked up a new Top Hat Supreme 16 and matching 2x12 cab a few weeks ago. (Thanks to Stu and the Fat Sound gang!) The more I play this amp, the more I fall for it. It is a wonderful compliment to my Rambler, which has been a mainstay in my rig for awhile now. The tones from the S16 are just killer and the amp behaves VERY nicely at moderate volumes. I previously owned (and loved) a Matchless C-30, but it was so freakin' loud that I couldn't use it. Channel 2 of the S16 has hints of the C-30 magic, combined with it's own character, at a very managable volume. And plugging into Channel 1 (the AC15 side) is mind blowing. So far I've played a variety of guitars through it and they have all sounded great. My Suhr T was barking like it should and my Thorn (with WCR Goodwoods) was round and signing. If you're considering an EL84 amp, I highly recommend you check out this amp. Be sure to try the matching 2x12 cab, as opposed to the 1x12. It really opens the amp up IMHO. I'll report more once I've had more time with the amp and after the components have broken in. As always YMMV. :AOK

2. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Another Very Satisfied Customer here.

I haven't met a TopHat that I did not like, but the Supreme 16 is indeed a special one.

3. 6120

6120 Member

I love my supreme sixteen !!! With the 1x12 cab I also have a great compliment to my rambler.

4. Luke Gibson

Luke Gibson Silver Supporting Member

I'd like to try one, but I just hate the way it looks! (just personal)

5. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

Hey Rod-Congrats. Bring it over next time we get together! I tried a few out a few weeks ago at Fat Sound...liked a lot of them...but heard a Carr Rambler and Hammerhead today and am rethinking my amp setup, too big and loud...need something small to mid sized so the amp can be opened up. I know my Germino is loud before it gives up the goods, and MikeG's amp has to be REALLY loud before it sings. Maybe we got to much wattage. I tried a Ghia a while ago (actually twice - bought once new and sold it, then bought another) but could never get it to sound less than icepicky with my strat at higher volumes. It was ok with humbuckers though. Looking for warmth for the strat I guess and EL84s are sometimes hard to work around in many circuit designs. I think I am more of a 6V6 or 6L6 man..the Top Hats and Carrs look promising in the near future. Was your cab open backed, and loaded with what?

6. Jray

Jray Supporting Member

The Supreme Sixteen is the best EL84 amp I have ever owned. I also have a Superdeluxe (6L6 based) which is also tops in it's tube category. Top Hat is without a doubt a serious contender in a market chock'd full of amps and should be considered when making a purchase.

7. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

golly, i think the amp looks fabulous.
    i'd like to see some pix w/ the 2-12 cab. the pix @ fatsound only show the single 12.
    seems reasonably priced, as well.

8. riffmeister

9. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

i tend to listen to streams of IDM/glitch when i'm surfing/forum lurking and so when i listen to clips it's always accompanied by 'backing tracks'.
    nice stuff.
    i see U use the framptone switcher. do the two channels on the S16 remain in phase? is there a phase switch on the framptone?

10. riffmeister

No phase switch on the Framptone. The two channels are in phase on the S16. The last clip in the link I posted is both channels run together.......sounds pretty neato!

11. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

ssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhh............;)

12. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

65amps london head - $2300.00 USD - nice amp
    tophat supreme 16 head - $1860.00 USD - never played it but the clips i've heard sound good.

the matching 2-12 cab from tophat is incrementally more than the 65amps.
    i mean in no way to make the 65amps look like it is unreasonably priced or that they are defrauding people by charging what they do. perhaps it may even be unfair to compare the two amps. i dunno. i just thought that in the grand scam, er, scheme (can't resist a pun) of things that the S16 seemed pretty reasonable for their 'ne plus ultra' 18 watt amp.
    and i still think that the matching head and cab are downright sexy lookin'.

[​IMG]

13. dukew

dukew Supporting Member

Superstition Mountain with Robert in the Bar
    Will have mine Friday in Burgundy/Creme and the 1x 12 cab (really didn't care about the color) totally stoked. Riff, clips sound great, how do you always get the cool s_it first??????[​IMG]

14. riffmeister

Congrats!!

Me, first? Hardly ever. The S16 is probably the second time I've ever been at the head of the line for an amp.

BTW, band practice in a couple of hours.....the S16 will be getting a workout! Woo-Hoo!! :D

15. dukew

dukew Supporting Member

Superstition Mountain with Robert in the Bar
    Riff, Also wanted to mention I've picked up 2 not 1 (crazy) Grosh set necks, love 'em. Both semi's, one w/f holes and Braz. board, the other w/no f holes and Indian RW board, outstanding guitars. I never asked you what your's was (killer top). Solid, Chamb, or semi? It's all your fault!!![​IMG]

16. riffmeister

17. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

18. jakins

jakins Member

[​IMG]

19. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

20. tedwoods

tedwoods Member

I don't want to hijack this thread but please don't tease!POST pics of those Grosh guitars (in their own thread).It's obligatory!!!

Ted (another crazy two set neck owner and a soon to be S16 one!)