Supreme 16 questions (voxer/london)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by pickslide, Mar 7, 2008.

1. pickslide

pickslide Supporting Member

Is the EF86 side of the supreme 16 the more simple channel with the single volume knob?

Now I have heard that this amp can get all kinds of marshall tones, but is it set up as one side marshall and one side vox (ef86) tone?

If this is the case, how would the tones out of this amp differ from those like the London or Voxer where the ef86 is the main(TMB) channel and the more simple channel is the marshall side.

I hope that is clear, if not, just let me know and I will try to clarify.

Thanks!

2. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    Is the EF86 side of the supreme 16 the more simple channel with the single volume knob?

yes no EQ Just straight EF86 pure Vox AC15 Tone

Now I have heard that this amp can get all kinds of marshall tones, but is it set up as one side marshall and one side vox (ef86) tone?

No between the bass mid treble gain and master volume control and a high & low inputs plus a fat/bright toggle it goes into Marshall/Vox top boost/ and fender tones. Super Hyper interaction with the tone stacks it can be a blend or right inside the tone you want.

I've run it through a Marshall Cab even and my favorite cab a pair of blues does wonderfull things.

If its all things Marshall you want go with the Emplexador II

how would the tones out of this amp differ from those like the London or Voxer where the ef86 is the "main" channel and the more simple channel is the marshall side.

its all adjectives isn't it, makes it tough.

EF 86 AC 15 Channels has three distinct colors - balls, Balls, and BALLS

12ax7 EQ topBoost Channell clean, in between, mean, hot, and nasty.

I like to play that side wide open and work the amp from the volume and tone on the guitar.

Buy one Highly recommended
    so is the Emplexador

EnJoY ThE MuSiC
    Groovey Records

[​IMG]

3. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

EF86 side has just volume and a normal/bright switch. It does saturated AC15 sounds with the volume control at noon or higher. The full EQ side is powered with 12AX7's and can go from BF Fender with hair to saturated 18W Marshall sounds, depending on where the middle control is set (off for Fender, dimed for Marshall).

4. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

5. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

I'd really like to add one of these to my collection someday!

6. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

I recently tried this amp and I WANT ONE!

7. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

In answer to your comparison question, this amp is in a similar time zone tonally with the 65 London (I haven't played the Voxer so I can't speak to that one). I won't argue better or worse, just philosophically very similar. I've had both and I kept the S16 as much for real estate reasons as for anything else. I love or loved both. And as Groovey sez, you want all things early to mid-Marshall, the EmplexII is your buddy.

8. pickslide

pickslide Supporting Member

Thanks folks. So the Supreme 16 is not really a direct comparison to the London or Voxer. As I understand, those are supposed to be vox on one side and marshall on the other.

Riffmeister - thanks for the clips..very nice.

9. voxer

voxer Member

I wouldn't really consider the Voxer EF86 a TMB-like (lots of knobs, etc). All it has is Gain, Tone, Vol, and the 6 position tone switch....there is a master cut....then again, the Marshall side may seem rather simplistic with just Tone and Volume. Since upgrading to the Mercury Magnetics OT, it has really opened that channel up even more - the Voxer is definitely worth a look.

10. I'm Incinerator

I'm Incinerator Supporting Member

I've never played a London, but I think the Marshall 18 watter side has the full EQ and EF86 has volume and a "colour" six-way tone switch