supro 1622rt Speaker upgrade

beeswax75

Has anyone tried upgrading speakers in the supros?
These are excellent amps, especially at Black Friday prices, but they have too much bass. I'm not even sure where to start as I've never changed out a speaker. Thanks.

glumlord

I’ve followed pretty much every Supro thread in recent years, and I feel like every time I saw a post about someone changing out the speaker in their Supro, they ended up liking the stock speaker better than what they tried replacing it with. To my understanding Supro seemed to voice the amps around the speakers they were having built for each of the models.

I used to own a Jupiter and wish I hadn’t sold it. While I agree it’s voiced on the dark side, I never had any trouble with it cutting through a mix. It just kinda fit perfectly with whatever other instruments were around it. Uncanny really.

HeavyCream

Silver Supporting Member
Can’t say I’ve swapped any speakers in a Supro but for less bass, look into speakers with medium sized magnets. I love a good Greenback but there are all kinds of speakers depending on what you’re going for. The WGS ET65 is a nice balanced M speaker. American Alnico can be a good option if that’s the kind of thing you’re into.

Is an EQ pedal out of the question?

Last edited:

beeswax75

I’ve followed pretty much every Supro thread in recent years, and I feel like every time I saw a post about someone changing out the speaker in their Supro, they ended up liking the stock speaker better than what they tried replacing it with. To my understanding Supro seemed to voice the amps around the speakers they were having built for each of the models.

I used to own a Jupiter and wish I hadn’t sold it. While I agree it’s voiced on the dark side, I never had any trouble with it cutting through a mix. It just kinda fit perfectly with whatever other instruments were around it. Uncanny really.
Thanks.

Yeah I've read a few of those threads on here, and they all seem to suggest that changing the speaker was worse. Very strange because the stock speaker is quite dark (and I like dark). I use the bass on 0, and still my humbuckers can sound overly dark, and single coils just sound about right with bass on 0 and treble on 6 or so. Also when I turn the treble past about 6, there's no noticeable difference in highs. It's very strange.

I love the amp as-is other than that issue, and even at times I like the dark sound. They're the best value amps out there. I got it for $650 as part of that Black Friday deal in '18 and my other option was a Blue Jr, which is nowhere near as good an amp.

Did you gig with the Jupiter? I really love the specs, but the weight was 57lbs...

Is an EQ pedal out of the question?
I'm not against them, but I don't think I can fit one on my small pedal board. My amp and board are both small and portable. I guess my sound will just be on the darker side. I prefer that to brighter, but it would nice to just cut a little mud out.

Last edited:

70' s Tone

Thanks.

Yeah I've read a few of those threads on here, and they all seem to suggest that changing the speaker was worse. Very strange because the stock speaker is quite dark (and I like dark). I use the bass on 0, and still my humbuckers can sound overly dark, and single coils just sound about right with bass on 0 and treble on 6 or so. Also when I turn the treble past about 6, there's no noticeable difference in highs. It's very strange.

I love the amp as-is other than that issue, and even at times I like the dark sound. They're the best value amps out there. I got it for $650 as part of that Black Friday deal in '18 and my other option was a Blue Jr, which is nowhere near as good an amp.

Did you gig with the Jupiter? I really love the specs, but the weight was 57lbs...

I'm not against them, but I don't think I can fit one on my small pedal board. My amp and board are both small and portable. I guess my sound will just be on the darker side. I prefer that to brighter, but it would nice to just cut a little mud out.
Is the speaker in your Supro broken-in?
What type of humbuckers are you using?

I own and have been playing a variety of Supros for about five years. Love the amps.
Regarding the overly dark tone when using neck position humbuckers. The tone you get is highly dependent on the type of humbuckers you use. I have several Epiphones with the ProBucker™ humbuckers (Ltd. Ed. Peter Frampton Les Paul Custom PRO, Ltd. Ed. Joe Bonamassa ES-355, and Joe Bonamassa 1960 Les Paul Norm Burst). They sound amazing. I also have the Epiphone Johnny A. Custom with Gibson pickups. Great results, too.

The Supro Trem-verb you have has the 10" speaker.
I have the same speaker in my Supro Coronado and Royal Reverb (two speakers per cab).
I get great results with these just as I do with the Supro amps that have the 12" and the 15" Supro speakers.

You might consider adding treble boost to you arsenal...
https://musicoomph.com/best-treble-booster-pedals/

This one (Rooster) is supposed to be good...
https://www.jampedals.com/rooster/

Last edited:

beeswax75

Anyone know if the Supro speaker is an alnico or ceramic? I looked on their site, and it's listed as a CR10.

This is all it says:

Vintage flavored 10″ driver found in the Coronado and Comet. Mids focused, with excellent natural breakup when pushed hard. Not overly bass heavy, the CR10 is an excellent choice for recording and lower power applications.75 Watts power handling.

Being mid-focused is it modeled after a "British" sound?

Last edited:
Anyone know if the Supro speaker is an alnico or ceramic? I looked on their site, and it's listed as a CR10.

This is all it says:

Vintage flavored 10″ driver found in the Coronado and Comet. Mids focused, with excellent natural breakup when pushed hard. Not overly bass heavy, the CR10 is an excellent choice for recording and lower power applications.75 Watts power handling.

Being mid-focused is it modeled after a "British" sound?

Also, I noticed the cone is enormous on the CR-10 compared to say a G10 Celestion (Ceramic) -- how does the size of the cone affect things?
Ceramic.

Edit: I've been running my Supro Saturn MKII (like Supro's version of a DRRI) into a CabZeus at church, and I've been using the Jensen 12" emulation. It sounds so good that I want to buy a C12N to try IRL. However, most Supros aren't voiced like my amp, and I don't know if a Jensen will work as well in the 6973 tube amps.

Trending Topics