supro amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ddog, Mar 25, 2015.

1. ddog

ddog Member

Been giving these a look lately and I am curious about tone comparison's.
    No way to really try one,except for just buying one and returning if it doesn't shake out.
    More of a "clean" player...

2. Lost_Cause

Lost_Cause Member

Leonc has a tone of great demos playing through Supro Valco amps. I would search through his posts and find them. Or just do a search. Plenty of content here. I assume you mean vintage right? Leon also has made a clone of his favorite amp that I know he has sold. Not sure if he is currently making them.

3. ddog

ddog Member

no...they reissue's I guess...obviously not the same outfit.

4. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

I think they do "clean" pretty well, but it's not sterile clean. Like Fender clean, but different. The also crunch pretty good if you push the volume, but you don't have to do that to enjoy these amps. For the most amount of clean headroom, your best bet is the Thunderbolt.

/rick

5. e???

e??? Member

I got a new Thunderbolt in November, and I love it more all the time. After the speaker break in it really started to sing beautifully. I don't know what to compare it too though. It had a bit more punch but both had beautiful cleans when comparing it and my buddys 1970 super reverb. It's got enough clean headroom to jam pretty clean with a band, but I like setting it right at the verge of breakup, where if I hit my strings hard it starts to break up my p90 tone. RickC is right about the clean though. Got something like a fender clean that sounds warmer than most fenders though. So far to me it sounds best with a good strat, tele, or a semihollow with p90's, the latter being my weapon of choice these days. PM me for specfics, good luck on your search!

6. NewDr.P

NewDr.P Member

i was surprised how expensive the reissues were considering the originals' pawnshop couple hundred bucks price tag.

i know page used supros on a lot of zeppelin albums but still, i was surprised.

7. Matticus

Matticus Member

I played the 6124T Dual Tone all this weekend -- and now I want one!

Like e??? said, it has a really great clean that's reminiscent of a blackface. I totally agree with his assessment. I think I've heard about the Supro's overdriven tone for so long that I was not expecting the punch and tone from it clean. I had it up halfway for the first time I used it with my '90s Les Paul with Seth Lovers. Loved it. Loved it. Dynamic like I love. Play light and it's this full, punchy clean. Play hard and it's getting into that signature territory. Didn't have to touch my overdrives, because the amp took them well. Right now, it's pretty much brand new and so I think it's brighter than it will ultimately be; but it was never piercing to me. A musician friend who heard us commented afterward that I sat in the mix really well, cutting where I needed to. I had to have it much lower for the second time I used it and it didn't seem to suffer for it. There's enough character still that it translated really well for what we were doing.

For reference: I normally play through either a Hendy Lil' Gorilla or Vox AC15H1TV. I have a few other amps, including a Fender Pro Junior and a '60s Beltone, but these get most of the stage time. I've had lots of hours through Deluxe Reverbs, Deluxes, AC30s, BadCats, etc. Some tones just stick with you, and this was one for me. I'm still thinking about it.

8. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

When I bought my 6124T, they had just arrived at a local shop. I plugged in, and knew within minutes it was coming home. Kinda rare for me to have that sort of instant connection with an amp. I wasn't in the market for an amp and didn't even know these existed before that day, but there it was.

/rick

9. cugel

cugel Member

I have never seen a schematic so I don't know how they compare to the originals. but they dont do fender blackface cleans: no tone stack, no negative feedback. My old national "val-trem" screams. I can say that modern 6973s (only one company makes them) do not really have the vintage supro sound. Invest in some NOS 6973s. personally, I would probably go with a thunderbolt.

10. itgoesto11uc

itgoesto11uc Member

I just bought a Dual-Tone and I love it. Feels like it's moving a lot of air even at lower volume, big fat airy low end, very touch sensitive, and when cranked up, does a great job of going from clean to scream with just guitar volume or attack.

11. ddog

ddog Member

The couple im interested in is the Saturn reverb or the 25watt/10 inch model...cant recall name.Thanks guys...seems like a lot of folks onboard with them....