• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

Supro Comet

dburns

I have used the search function and found some threads, but nothing within the last year so I figure I'd post a new one. I've been in between a few other amps and a Supro wasn't on my radar at all but came across one at what seems to be a good price, so just looking to follow up and get some info from people who have tried them or are currently using them. Also, what's a good used price?

My main amp is a Carmen Ghia head, and I use a Pro Junior IV as my backup amp and I like it. Have even gigged with that a few times as well. We mic everything so the headroom is not that much of an issue, but it would be nice to have a tad more in a similarly powered amp, while still getting a good overdrive from the amp. Would that be the case? And though Reverb and Tremolo are hardly a must, it would be nice to have. Demos sound good, just trying to get some comparisons vs similar sized amps like my PJ, or a Princeton, BJ etc etc.

Like I said, happy with the Pro Junior but they can be had all day for under $4-500. Would the Comet be a significant upgrade? FWIW the used price on this particular one isn't much more than a new PJ.

socalscott

I test drove one and it felt like home. Just rode the G&L vol and bass-cut and got everything I wanted. Kind of a bit rich for my noodling at home though.

Tritone

I got one about a week ago. It's very small and light. It feels very sturdy and well-made. I really love the feel of the handle. The sound is very balanced and easy to dial in. Mine has a G10M Greenback in it. One tone knob is usually not ideal for me because I think most amps have more bass than I need and I like to dial it back, but since it's a 10" speaker, the bass never gets out of control for me. I love the trem, too, which is a classic smooth pulse. The *one* weak point for the amp in my opinion is the reverb. I'm not super impressed with its tinny, one dimensional sound. Maybe I'll grow to like it though.

dburns

Thanks guys. I'm more interested in the drive sound, touch sensitivity and build quality more than anything so that helps. 'Verb n trem would be just a bonus.

Kinda hesitant to say what the price is on the one I'm looking at. Still waiting to hear back from the seller and I don't want to alarm any other potential buyers haha.

EL34

Platinum Supporting Member
I’ll be the contrarian and say don‘t waste your money. It’s pretty underwhelming overall (tone, reverb, trem) after swapping speakers and tubes ad nauseum over the course of a year. The tone knob has a ridiculously unusable narrow sweep, and I’d rather have a Princeton or Blues Junior over the Comet any day of the week and twice on Sunday. It looks cool as hell tho! Maybe I just don’t like 1x10” speakers? Sorry, just calling it like I hear it.

Last edited:

dburns

I’ll be the contrarian and say don‘t waste your money. It’s pretty underwhelming overall (tone, reverb, trem) after swapping speakers and tubes ad nauseum over the course of a year. The tone knob has a ridiculously unusable narrow sweep, and I’d rather have a Princeton or Blues Junior over the Comet any day of the week and twice on Sunday. It looks cool as hell tho! Maybe I just don’t like 1x10” speakers? Sorry, just calling it like I hear it.
All good...appreciate your opinion.

EL34

Platinum Supporting Member
All good...appreciate your opinion.
I tried hard to like this amp, but it just didn’t work for my taste at all. I tried 5 alternate speakers in it, all of which were better than the original, but it was stil difficult to dial the tone knob in. I also never understood why the marketing billed this amp as “high gain”. It was anything but that.

nic'o'caster

Gold Supporting Member
I own a Supro Statesman head which is the Comet on one channel. A great amp but I reckon the EQ is too much basic. I use the head with a 2X12 THD cab and sometimes with a large dispersion 1x12 cab. Both give me a fantastic semi clean tone, very dynamic, with loads of bass and low mids, often too much in a band context. I wonder how it sounds with a 10'' speaker, maybe it tightens the lows but then it does not sound as big anymore... Price on yours seems pretty interesting !

BSOD

I went down the Supro path a bit, and the one I wish I had purchased was the Tremo-verb. It’s a really nice sounding amp, could be gigged, and has gorgeous warm clean tone. The Comet had a terrible clean IMO.

MikeEd

Silver Supporting Member
I owned one for a while. They are ok if you like circuit board amps. I tried out different power tubes and it was a bear to get it out.

The quality of the tone was comparable to my point to point swart AST junior.

I don't like 10 inch speakers because they don't have enough bass. I tried a few different speakers in it, the celestial gold sounded the best. but I ended up getting rid of it because I like my swart better.

dburns

I went down the Supro path a bit, and the one I wish I had purchased was the Tremo-verb. It’s a really nice sounding amp, could be gigged, and has gorgeous warm clean tone. The Comet had a terrible clean IMO.
Ironically there is also a Tremo-verb for sale for $850...FWIW the Comet is still much less. Comparing the two now.

MikeEd

Silver Supporting Member
I had a comet and I would never buy an amp like that again, even if I liked the sound. If you need to change a tube you have to dissemble the amp. But the hard part is getting the tube out. The tube sockets are recessed down inside the chassis about an inch or so. I couldn't a grip on the tube to pull it out. After trying for several minutes and pulling as hard as I could I finally got it out. The tube sockets are directly connected to the printed circuit board. I was afraid i would damage the circuit board. IMO you're better off getting an amp that wired PTP.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom