Supro Customer Service

WebbMan

It was recently my Bday and I treated myself to a SUPRO ROYAL REVERB 210 COMBO.
This amp was close to $1300 bucks, I hope that SUPRO CUST. SRVC sends me a replacement.
Here's what happened ...

QUESTION - Does anyone know when Supro revised the Royal Reverb from the 35/45/60 watt version to the current 35/60 version or know any technical information on the Royal Reverb?
Since I just got mine - I have the current 35/60 version and its plagued with Mystery.
EVERYWHERE you read about this amp including their own Supro manual that came with the amp it states that in the 35 watt mode the amp is an "A" type tube amp and gets EARLY BREAKUP from the tube rectifier, and in the 60 watt mode it becomes an "AB" type tube amp and has more headroom with later breakup from a silicone rectifier.
1) I get NO Breakup at all in either mode, 2) there is NO Rectifier Tube But there is a rectifier tube socket with a black plastic plug over the tube socket hole. Instead of bothering Supro cust. support I bought and installed a new rectifier tube and nothing. No power going to the tube at all, and 3) the back plate is still for the old 35/45/60 version Royal Reverb. It's almost as if they made this amp with a bunch of spare parts, and nothing relates to the Supro manual that came with the amp.
I do get really nice pristine, chimey CLEANS but NO BREAKUP AT ALL. This amp was close to $1300 bucks, I hope that SUPRO CUST. SRVC sends me a replacement. IF ANYONE knows any tech data on this amp please add your 2 cents - would love to hear anything that solves these mysteries.

Gallery

Supporting Member
Did you call them?
Did you email them?

I would suggest actually contacting Supro Customer Service first and waiting a reasonable amount of time before posting here.

They were very responsive when I contacted them, but that wasn't during the current closures due to COVID, so you'll likely have to be more patient.

I was able to pick up a phone, call them, and speak to someone who was willing to take time to talk with me. Phone might not be an option now depending on how they are functioning through the shut downs, but it's worth a try.

Reactions: Rod

WebbMan

Hi "Gallery" - your reply is much appreciated. My main objective of this post was to hopefully hear from any amp techs out there
who are very familiar with Supro amps. There are just so many "mysteries" surrounding this amp.

Yes, I did call but only got their voice mail box, and I did email and after about 10 days I did get an initial reply but nothing since.
I did not make or imply anything negative about Supro. I was just stating facts regarding my situation.

I agree with you - I have heard nothing but positive comments about their legendary customer service and I hope I am one more customer
that has a positive story to tell. In any event I plan to post further updates positive, or otherwise regarding my experience with Supro cust. servc.

glumlord

Just out of curiousity, why are you going directly to Supro instead of the store where you bought it? These amps have been discontinued for nearly 2 years. It seems like if you bought something and you're not happy with it, you should address that with the people that you gave money to. Even if it's just getting some questions answered by the manufacturer, this is the primary function of a dealer.

If I recall correctly, a few of the amps that had the 3-way power selector moved to a 2 way switch just prior to them being discontinued(IIRC the Royal reverb, the Thunderbolt +, and the Rhythm Master).

As for the break up characteristics in this series of amps, the amount of break up you get is going to vary depending on the guitar you use(single coil vs. humbucker...) and just simply how much you are able to turn it up. I owned a Jupiter for a couple years(same chassis as the Royal Reverb, Just with a 1x12" rather than 2x10") and even in the 35 watt mode, it was monstrously loud. I will say that the biggest differences that I noticed in the different "wattage" modes was the characteristic of the Tremolo and to some degree, the feel of the amp. there was little to no change in volume between 35w and 60w.

all in all, I don't think there's anything necessarily wrong with your amp, and it appears to be working the same way that I've experienced with mine. I think the main problem here is the fact that Supro never updated their product info on their website even though some of their amps underwent some changes over the course of their lifespan.

WebbMan

Thanks for your input GlumLord - much appreciated and to answer your questions:
There are just way too many questions that I need answers to and hope to get them directly from Supro
or someone who has intimate knowledge of Supro design. YES, I found the exact same amp behavior as you described.
Actually, strange enough - the 35 watt mode is LOUDER than the 60 watt mode - Go Figure...
and as you described the Tremolo acts very differently in either mode. BUT only a Supro amp tech can answer why there is a fully wired
rectifier tube socket that is dead with no tube - even their product manual does not show a rectifier tube (but the wired socket is there).
And my main complaint is No BREAKUP at all regardless of what mode I'm in, or guitar I use, and I have many. Love the CLEANS though.
I guess I'm looking for technical information that makes sense to me.

Thanks for your input GlumLord - much appreciated and to answer your questions:
There are just way too many questions that I need answers to and hope to get them directly from Supro
or someone who has intimate knowledge of Supro design. YES, I found the exact same amp behavior as you described.
Actually, strange enough - the 35 watt mode is LOUDER than the 60 watt mode - Go Figure...
and as you described the Tremolo acts very differently in either mode. BUT only a Supro amp tech can answer why there is a fully wired
rectifier tube socket that is dead with no tube - even their product manual does not show a rectifier tube (but the wired socket is there).
And my main complaint is No BREAKUP at all regardless of what mode I'm in, or guitar I use, and I have many. Love the CLEANS though.
I guess I'm looking for technical information that makes sense to me.
I don't know how I missed this thread but so much of what you were asking about is similar to how I've felt about my Supro Saturn MKII. It's got the unused rectifier tube socket, along with taped off leads inside the chassis that go to the OT, ostensibly for an extension jack that never got installed (I'm gonna look more into that one). Supro Customer Support all but confirmed my suspicion that it was basically made from leftover parts (I think it actually IS a Royal Reverb but with 6V6s instead of 6L6s). Either way, Supro is very silent about these amps and the changes they make to them. I love the sound and the built quality seems pretty robust, apart from the PCB mounted tube sockets, but they have this mysterious shroud of darkness when it comes to so many of their products. They never have press releases about any of their updates, and lots have people have wondered about these odd little changes. Not to mention the strange and occasionally unrealistic wattage ratings they give some of their amps. It's a bit Willy Wonka-ish down at the ol Supro amp factory.

gixxerrock

It sounds like the rectifier tube has been replaced with a solid state plug. This will raise the voltage and make it more powerful and less saggy than a 35W amp with a rectifier tube.

I have the 2 knob 35W Thunderbolt. It has a tube rectifier and 2 6L6 cathode bias power section. I love it. Home practice volume is a beautiful sweet clean. Healthy band volume is gritty interesting clean starting to break up and compress. Takes pedals well at this volume.

From half to full volume, it nails the Jimmy Page Supro sound. It is an amazing complex responsive overdriven amp. This is loud! Louder than all but the most hard hitting drummer. Louder than any club or band I would play in these days. You owe it to yourself to dime this amp and experience it if you haven't already.

When Supro talks about when their amps break up, they are talking about what size stage and how loud to get it to edge of running out of headroom. Very old school way of thinking about it.

WebbMan

I don't know how I missed this thread but so much of what you were asking about is similar to how I've felt about my Supro Saturn MKII. It's got the unused rectifier tube socket, along with taped off leads inside the chassis that go to the OT, ostensibly for an extension jack that never got installed (I'm gonna look more into that one). Supro Customer Support all but confirmed my suspicion that it was basically made from leftover parts.
You will feel more confident when I tell you I recvd the same answer. I did not realize it but GLUMLORED was right. My amp the Royal Reverb has been out of production for over 2 years and ALL Supro product only have a ONE (1) yr warranty. And yet the SUPRO support team was very helpful, polite, and even pleasant. They were a wealth of information and like you - they confirmed that Royal Reverb had 2 versions - the first had the three (3) power selector selector switch and had the rectifier tube. Then Supro support admitted they were having constant problems with rectifier design and switched to a solid state rectifier unit instead of tube BUT kept the same chasis, hens the tube Input Hole that leads to no where. Love the cleans but disappointed that I have to get any break-up at all from OD pedals and not direct from the amp tubes. Oh well - I guess you can't have everything.

WebbMan

It sounds like the rectifier tube has been replaced with a solid state plug. This will raise the voltage and make it more powerful and less saggy than a 35W amp with a rectifier tube.

I have the 2 knob 35W Thunderbolt. It has a tube rectifier and 2 6L6 cathode bias power section. I love it. Home practice volume is a beautiful sweet clean. Healthy band volume is gritty interesting clean starting to break up and compress. Takes pedals well at this volume.

From half to full volume, it nails the Jimmy Page Supro sound. It is an amazing complex responsive overdriven amp. This is loud! Louder than all but the most hard hitting drummer. Louder than any club or band I would play in these days. You owe it to yourself to dime this amp and experience it if you haven't already.

When Supro talks about when their amps break up, they are talking about what size stage and how loud to get it to edge of running out of headroom. Very old school way of thinking about it.
Hi Gixxerocks - this a copy of a reply I gave to another Supro user, Just suffice to say you were right: I recvd the same answer. I did not realize it but GLUMLORED was right. My amp the Royal Reverb has been out of production for over 2 years and ALL Supro products only have a ONE (1) yr warranty. And yet the SUPRO support team was very helpful, polite, and even pleasant. They were a wealth of information and like you - they confirmed that Royal Reverb had 2 versions - the first had the three (3) power selector selector switch and had the rectifier tube. Then Supro support admitted they were having constant problems with rectifier design and switched to a solid state rectifier unit instead of tube BUT kept the same chasis, hens the tube Input Hole that leads to no where. Love the cleans but disappointed that I have to get any break-up at all from OD pedals and not direct from the amp tubes. Oh well - I guess you can't have everything.

mlj_gear

It was recently my Bday and I treated myself to a SUPRO ROYAL REVERB 210 COMBO.
This amp was close to $1300 bucks, I hope that SUPRO CUST. SRVC sends me a replacement.
Here's what happened ...

QUESTION - Does anyone know when Supro revised the Royal Reverb from the 35/45/60 watt version to the current 35/60 version or know any technical information on the Royal Reverb?
Since I just got mine - I have the current 35/60 version and its plagued with Mystery.
EVERYWHERE you read about this amp including their own Supro manual that came with the amp it states that in the 35 watt mode the amp is an "A" type tube amp and gets EARLY BREAKUP from the tube rectifier, and in the 60 watt mode it becomes an "AB" type tube amp and has more headroom with later breakup from a silicone rectifier.
1) I get NO Breakup at all in either mode, 2) there is NO Rectifier Tube But there is a rectifier tube socket with a black plastic plug over the tube socket hole. Instead of bothering Supro cust. support I bought and installed a new rectifier tube and nothing. No power going to the tube at all, and 3) the back plate is still for the old 35/45/60 version Royal Reverb. It's almost as if they made this amp with a bunch of spare parts, and nothing relates to the Supro manual that came with the amp.
I do get really nice pristine, chimey CLEANS but NO BREAKUP AT ALL. This amp was close to $1300 bucks, I hope that SUPRO CUST. SRVC sends me a replacement. IF ANYONE knows any tech data on this amp please add your 2 cents - would love to hear anything that solves these mysteries.
Pretty (very) weird to expect Supro to send you a replacement. If you think there's something wrong with the amp or if it doesn't have the features you thought it did, why not just return it to the place that you bought it from? Presumably you didn't buy it straight from the Supro warehouse. Also, it doesn't actually sound like your amp is broken or defective, so I don't know why the length of the warranty should matter.

Regarding break-up, in my experience, those amps need to be turned up quite loud before they break up. They are non-master volume amps with 6L6 or 5881 tubes, and that's not exactly a recipe for a lot of distortion at low volumes. Even the original, non-master volume version of the Black Majik has to be quite loud before it breaks up, and that's a 6973-based amp that -- unlike the Royal Reverb -- is pretty much made for crunch tones. The manual for the older version of the Royal Reverb does indeed say "quick break-up at lower volume," and while that is arguably somewhat misleading, it doesn't say low volume. It seems like it is intended to mean that it breaks up earlier in that mode than it does when it is in the other modes.

The website currently shows the version with only 35-watt and 60-watt modes and no tube rectifier, so I guess I wouldn't have assumed that I'd be getting one with three modes and a tube rectifier if I was buying one now.
The Wayback Machine shows that the newer version was being shown on the website since at least early 2019 and suggests that it was probably on the website during most or all of 2018, too. There seems to have been a decent gap between when the old ones were taken off of the website and when the newer ones were added to the website.

(FWIW, I agree that Supro wattage ratings are goofy, I have my doubts about whether the amp actually runs in Class A when in the Class A mode, and it would have been nice if they had updated the manual, etc.)

WebbMan

Pretty (very) weird to expect Supro to send you a replacement. If you think there's something wrong with the amp or if it doesn't have the features you thought it did, why not just return it to the place that you bought it from? Presumably you didn't buy it straight from the Supro warehouse. Also, it doesn't actually sound like your amp is broken or defective, so I don't know why the length of the warranty should matter.

Regarding break-up, in my experience, those amps need to be turned up quite loud before they break up. They are non-master volume amps with 6L6 or 5881 tubes, and that's not exactly a recipe for a lot of distortion at low volumes. Even the original, non-master volume version of the Black Majik has to be quite loud before it breaks up, and that's a 6973-based amp that -- unlike the Royal Reverb -- is pretty much made for crunch tones. The manual for the older version of the Royal Reverb does indeed say "quick break-up at lower volume," and while that is arguably somewhat misleading, it doesn't say low volume. It seems like it is intended to mean that it breaks up earlier in that mode than it does when it is in the other modes.
You basically restated what GLUMLORD said at the beginning of this thread but thanks for the input anyway. But to recap I get ZERO crunch tones, No breakup at all. I get really beautiful chimney cleans but that's it. ANY breakup I get is from F/X OD pedals. THAT'S WHY I thought something was wrong with my amp...

You basically restated what GLUMLORD said at the beginning of this thread but thanks for the input anyway. But to recap I get ZERO crunch tones, No breakup at all. I get really beautiful chimney cleans but that's it. ANY breakup I get is from F/X OD pedals. THAT'S WHY I thought something was wrong with my amp...
Yeah, my Saturn stays pretty dang clean with my Jazzmaster all the way to at least 1 o'clock, and even then it's juuuust breaking up. Diming it is not what I'd call gritty either. It's generally just a fairly clean and sweet-sounding circuit, nothing like I've been hearing from the 6973 tubed Supros. Mind you, it'll roar like no Deluxe Reverb you've heard when boosted or overdriven, especially if you've got fuzz in front. Maybe try a boost pedal to get those preamp toobz cookin.

WebbMan

Yeah, my Saturn stays pretty dang clean with my Jazzmaster all the way to at least 1 o'clock, and even then it's juuuust breaking up. Diming it is not what I'd call gritty either. It's generally just a fairly clean and sweet-sounding circuit, nothing like I've been hearing from the 6973 tubed Supros. Mind you, it'll roar like no Deluxe Reverb you've heard when boosted or overdriven, especially if you've got fuzz in front. Maybe try a boost pedal to get those preamp toobz cookin.
I had my Royal Reverb up to 2 O'clock and it just barely started to breakup, Also - I'm more of a collector than a player so I have several guitars to try. One has a set of hot Duncan Pearly Gates and again - barely any breakup at all... Like I said, "Oh Well", its obvious something is not right but no one - not even Supro tech support can tell me what. I have a bunch of pedals so I get my OD one way or another.

Trending Topics