Supro Drive through Supro amp?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by GuitarArt1980, Jun 8, 2017.

1. GuitarArt1980

GuitarArt1980 Member

Anyone have experience running a Supro Drive pedal into their Supro amp? I just picked up a new Comet which I love, but I can't always dime in into overdrive. The demos I've heard on the Supro Drive sound VERY similar to the amps gain. Would it be redundant to go Supro>Supro?

2. MikeFM

MikeFM Member

Great question. I was wondering the same. Since i'm primarily a bedroom player, it's rare that I get to really drive my Supro tremoverb. My guess is that the Supro drive would be a perfect match for a Supro amp, but I could be wrong.

3. annostyle

annostyle Member

I would assume it would probably sound BEST through a Supro amp. When designing the pedal line, I'd imagine they had their own amps in mind first and foremost.

yoyo1983 likes this.
  4. yoyo1983

yoyo1983 Member

Yeah and try the pedal into their own amps!

5. JJO

JJO Silver Supporting Member

If I understand physics properly* I think the two would cancel each other out and there would be no sound at all.

*I do not.

scolfax, Caprica, brb9911 and 15 others like this.
  6. Budokahn

Budokahn Member

I have one and run it into my black magic when I am running the amp at lower volume. I have a love hate relationship with the combo. I was hoping it would allow me to just get the black magic magic at a low volume.
    Because the pedal was designed as an amp in a box it behaves a little differently into the amp than I expected.
    Not bad just different. It's a different sounding distortion/overdriven tone in general than the BM and really is it's own cool thing. It's a great pedal but it in my opinion is sensitive to the out put position. Much like a real amp it looses a lot when the volume is dropped to much.
    I have a lot of fun using it into that amp though. One of my fav pedals into that amp is the Speaker Cranker As well as an ep3 style boost. The Black Magic is its own thing though that pedal may be perfect with a more clean based Supro Amp.

7. Rob Evans

Rob Evans Member

Sounds great on my Thunderbolt+, an amp that stays mostly clean. Probably my favorite OD pedal, stacks great with their fuzz

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  8. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I don't own a Supro Drive. I've tried one and felt the decay of the notes was harsher than I like, into any amp let alone the Supro.

9. GuitarArt1980

GuitarArt1980 Member

That's my concern with the Supro Drive. I'll try my Speaker Cranker though and see how that goes

10. Budokahn

Budokahn Member

Speaker Cranker is one of my favorite pedals through any amp.

11. marex

marex Member

I run a Swart Night Light Jr in my Comet. Keeps the Comet's tone very well.