Supro Drive

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dlc1953, Apr 25, 2016.

1. dlc1953

dlc1953 Member

Well got mine today.1st impressions "pretty darn good"! The "Bold' position, (the labeling to me should be reversed), is think ,Rockett Blue Note , real smooth,articulate,very open in feel.Then the"Rich" takes of were the Blue Note, cut off. More compressed but still not squished at all. Max gain goes into a good bark to Fuzz area. Tone has more low end than the Blue Note had,as I remember it. The richness of tone at around 15th fret on single notes and beyond is really sweet! No(plink,plink) like alot of Drives get. Very full and Amp like.Tried it with Strat and Kleins and Humbucker's with Alnico ll Pro., into Twin clean channel. Pretty sure be keepin this for some time. Build quality is real good. Makes me wanna try the Fuzz out!

2. mikesjam

mikesjam Member

Strongly considering this pedal, and I've previously owned a Blue Note, so I'm very interested in this thread. I thought the Blue Note lacked note clarity at a lot of settings, how would you say the Supro Drive compares in that regard? What amp are you using the Supro Drive with? Do you think it would work with a tweed style amp, or would that be too much of a good thing?

3. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

How are the highs on the Supro Drive?

The demos I've heard have seemed more mids-focused.

I want chimey highs

-bEn r.

4. dlc1953

dlc1953 Member

Oh no,Note definition is amazing! I'll pass a tweed comment since never have used one.Hope that helps.

5. dlc1953

dlc1953 Member

Chimey stuff is my thing! It's give's it up ! The tone knob as you bring Treble in the Treble stays sweet never gets that harsh over-tone some drives do.You can get that Mid focus if you want to get that Thick tone.

Occasional User likes this.
  6. Pizza

Pizza Member

Thanks for the good review. I played a Blue Note once and I liked it. I'd say it was a good all-purpose drive. But it didn't fill any special spots on my board since I already had a BB Preamp, Klone, and Tubescreamer.

Does the Supro Drive create any killer tones in that regard? Or is it more of a solid, albeit vanilla drive?

On demos, the Supro drive seems like it has a tubey presencey grit. I can't tell how much of that is just the amp it's being played through.

7. analogsystem

analogsystem Member

Picked up the Supro Drive yesterday. It sounds killer and makes a perfect "always on" pedal, especially if you have an amp that is quite clean. I really liked putting fuzzes into it. It responds really well to volume changes and picking dynamics. Very different from a tubescreamer or variant. I haven't tried any of the other Supro inspired pedals but I felt that this one was really special in terms of construction and that it warranted the price.

8. dlc1953

dlc1953 Member

My use of the Blue note was only as a comparison with the switch up, and as something I think alot of folks here are familiar with. In the down it's it's own thing. Funny you mention the BB because I was hearing some of it in it.Along with some Jetter characteristics like a Gold or something.And yes it is very 'tube like' ,in both down and up position's.It's worth the price to me I think.

Pizza likes this.
  9. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

There are comparisons of the Supro Drive vs the Super Bolt both on here and on Youtube. The Supro Drive may be unique among drive pedals in being the only one that models the output section of a tube amp including output transformer. I don't know if that's a gimmick or a break thru but it's cool!

la noise likes this.
  10. dlc1953

dlc1953 Member

A couple of additional insight on SD after more trials . Most of the action(drive) happens fairly late on the dial.Say 2 an after.The thing works great on neck or bridge pickups,ran it with Seth's in a Semi-Hollow today.From the limited Demos out there now,I'd say Mike's is closest to what I'm getting,with Andy's Tele demo at lower gain being spot on! Took a chance with so few Demo's yet but workin out to be pretty much what I thought I heard.

mikesjam likes this.
  11. mikesjam

mikesjam Member

Can it do a really good low gain too? All of the demos make it sound pretty high gain to me even when the gain knob appears to be rolled back. I'd be looking to use it on a small board as possibly my only overdrive in conjunction with a clean boost, and want to know if it would be versatile enough for that.

ChampReverb likes this.
  12. ChampReverb

Where?

-bEn r.

13. ChampReverb

I'm down to Supro Drive or DOD Looking Glass.
    I'm leaning Looking Glass.

I have:

Uber Bee
    Jelly Roll
    Superbolt

-bEn r.

14. dlc1953

dlc1953 Member

Absolutely !

15. dlc1953

dlc1953 Member

The Looking Glass was my number 2 check out choice before this.

16. drbob1

17. ChampReverb

18. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

fryette sas & boostasio pedals include actual output transformers.

19. drbob1

I don't think that's correct David. We dissected an SAS over at freestomboxes.org (no pedals were permanently harmed...) and there's an input Tx but no output Tx. Neither my pictures nor the schematic traced from them include one.

20. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

ah! input transformer: thanks, bob!