Supro on the way!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Crazyquilt, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

I just won an eBay auction for a Supro 16T...I've been wanting to check out the Supro/Valco/National/etc. amps for a while, and this seemed like as good a time as any to take the plunge.

According to the seller, it's mostly new tubes -- an EH 6v6 & a pair of Groove Tubes 12ax7s. Does anyone know if the amp is cathode or fixed bias? I thought I'd read someplace that it was cathode biased when I was researching the sale, but I don't for the life of me remember where. And, it's possible I was reading about a different amp, as I was looking at several.

The only thing I'm sure of is that, if it sounds as cool as I hope, the first thing I'll do is get a 3 prong cord. My hair's curly & unruly enough as it is, thank you.

2. nsriley

nsriley Member

Congrats man! I used to own a 1616T model with a 6x9 speaker in it! It was a small little amp, but sounded sweet, both low volume clean and cranked up grind. The tremelo was great sounding too. Regrettably I sold it for other GAS items, and wished I still had it now. They are geting crazy prices on ebay these days! Enjoy!

-Peace
    -Nate

3. pcutt

pcutt Member

Nice find! I'm a fan of that sound and I've got a late 40's Magnatone Varsity with a single 6v6. After giving it a tune-up, replacing the ancient caps, and installing a Weber 1x8, it sounds great!

Let us know how it sounds.

-Paul

4. guitartech72

guitartech72 Member

I've got a Chicago 51 with an 8" speaker; Peter Stroud used to rock one just like it. I love that thing and I scored it for 50 bucks in a pawn shop 5 years ago. Congrats.

jason

5. Crazyquilt

Thanks. Now, my least favorite part -- waiting.

I looked at a few Chicago 51s on eBay...neat looking amps. There's a National on eBay now that looks kind of like my Swart ... but with a hot pink speaker grill! Now that's a say-something amp. I have to admit that part of what I find interesting about the various Valco amps is the great designs, like that pink grille or the asymmetrical sound ports on the Chicago 51. Something more interesting than the bland boxes most amps are.

6. morgan

morgan Guest

Congrats! My friend has a an early 60's supro (can't remember which model). I've never ever heard an amp I like more. It's so gooey and rich, and the trem is to die for. A supro is on my buy list for sure.

7. Argonaut4

Argonaut4 Member

Congrats! My Supro is one of my most played and loved amps. I have no idea what model or year it was made, but it seriously has some mojo. Here's a couple pics when it first arrived. I've since properly added a grounded cord, recapped, and put a Weber 10" in it. Hope you like yours as much as I like mine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. guitartech72

guitartech72 Member

That's a Chicago 51... guessing late 50's. I have the same amp, but it's a '61.

[​IMG]

9. kevmin

kevmin Supporting Member

Hey CQ,

I have the Gretsch version of that amp and it is one of my favorites. It has a cathode-biased single ended output. If it doesn't sound killer, then it needs to be serviced. That is IMHO the very best of the 6-watt amp designs. I like those better than tweed Champs. The circuit is basically a cross between a tweed Princeton and a blackface Vibro-Champ with a few Valco tweaks. Both inputs are very useful and voiced differently, so they help with tailoring the sound for different guitars.

FYI, that is one of the most sought after amps for harmonica, so it will undoubtedly keep appreciating as you own it.

The handle on the Supro version rattles when the amp is really cooking. You can add some tape or something to stop this. Here is what my Gretsch looks like:

[​IMG]

Email me if you need help getting it up to snuff. I hope your PR is still serving you well! That sure was a sweet amp!

Kevin

10. Reeek

Reeek Member

I loved my Supro Trojan. It was dead mint though and totally original so I was "talked" into selling it by a collector. I got $550 for it ;)

11. Crazyquilt

Argonaut ... that Supro looks amazingly like the Swart AST, which is my new very favorite amp. Not that this kept me from getting the Supro, mind you....

Kevin, that's really great to hear. I have no idea what kind of shape the amp is going to be in when I get it. I'm glad to hear it's cathode biased...that'll make deciding what tubes to go in it a lot easier for me. I know it's got a 2 prong cord, and that's GOT to go.

The PR is doing great -- I haven't been playing it quite as much since I got the Swart, but it's an amp I'll never sell. Actually, I was just playing it today -- I was testing some Marconi 6V6s that were rattling in the AST, but, man, they sounded good in the PR! Might have to talk to you about keeping them in there & biasing the PR so all will be healthy.

12. bscepter

bscepter Member

I've seen a bunch of late-forties/early-fifties Valco/Supro amps on eBay, but many look like they have metal-envelope tubes. Can these be replaced with current-production glass-envelope tubes, or do I have to get a stock of NOS tubes?

Thanks!

13. sus4

sus4 Member

How different are Supros from Champs?

Daniel

14. guitartech72

guitartech72 Member

There are alot of different models of Supros. It's a brand, not a model. They probably have a model that's about the same as a Champ, but I'm just guessing.

I'm a huge fan of those old little amps (National, Valco, Supro, Silvertone). I've got a late 50's Silvertone that's really junky. Particle board that's falling apart, there are holes in the speaker from where it has been eaten way or rotted, but you know what? When I cleaned the electronics out, it sounded freaking amazing. Very glassy, almost like a cool amp with a Range Master on it. Just about any of them can have a cool sound. They won't end up being a main amp, but they sure are fun.

jason

15. Crazyquilt

What a fun amp!

Just got it in today, and have only had enough time to pull out the EH & Groove Tubes in it & stick in a Mazda 5y3 & a Marconi 6v6. The only 12ax7 I had around was a JJ, so I put that in V1, and kept the GT that was in V2. What a killer sound, especially for slide. I played it for about 20 mnutes before I had to run out. I can't wait to mess about with it later tonight. I'm thinking this with my ES125 will be a fantastic combo.

The amp itself pretty clean, just a bit of rust on the control plate. And the handle does, indeed, rattle when flat out, which, really, I think is the best way to go with the little guy. It's a very quiet 6w. I kept wanting to turn it up.... ;)

16. Tuberoast

Tuberoast Supporting Member

I owned a 1616T, which had 6973 tubes (I think I got that right). The tremelo was great! you had to crank it to the tone or use a good od. All in all a nice little amp that I filed under "regret selling".