Surf Green Cunetto Tele Year?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Gavin, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Gavin

Gavin Supporting Member

I picked up this '97 Cunetto relic'd tele the other day because the color was just too cool to resist. No COA but all the markings on the neck and body add up (including color code). I hear Vince hangs here so maybe he can tell me more. What I'd really like to know is what year reissue is this? It was sold to me as a '59 but I'm kinda new to the Fender world and don't know how to verify the model year specifically. Thanks!

[​IMG]

Gavin

2. Gavin

Gavin Supporting Member

Any help on what year reissue this is?

Gavin

3. Berlin Chris

Berlin Chris Member

From a photo it is hard to tell if it is a "real" Reissue. Usually the Cunettos had a flatter fretboard radius and a strong broadcaster bridge pickup, making them some kind of an inaccurate copy compared to the real thing. Btw, Fender has come up with lots of limited runs over the years which makes identifying even harder.There are sooo many variations over the same theme(s).

But congrats, it sure looks great (and 59ish) and maybe the tele experts over at www.tdpri.com know the answer. Good luck...

4. Gavin

Gavin Supporting Member

Chris,
    Thanks for the heads up to the tele forum. I'll have to check it out.

I'm 100% sure that its a Cunetto era Tele (I've taken it apart and photo documented the guitar and all its markings). I'm more concerned of what year reissue it is and at this point I'm pretty sure its a '59 because of the placement of the "Fender Telecaster" on the headstock. I'll post a picture of the headstock tonight.

Gavin

5. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

59s are toploaders. "Standardized" custom colors 1960 and later. Slab rosewood fingerboard Sept 59 to mid 62.

hunter

6. mrfjones

mrfjones Member

hunter is right, if I had to guess I would say that it was a 60 or 61 reissue. Chris is also probably right, it looks in the picture to have a flat pole pickup which would not have happened on a real 59-62. also most of the saddles starting in 59 were threaded steel. So it seems loosely based on a guitar around 1960 but with a few features that make it at least in my opinion more desireable.

That is how I have a "59" reissue made up, mine is just white blonde.

7. telesquire

telesquire Member

I know your guitar.It was originally at Lark Street Music for $1895 about 2 months back.I missed it by an hour!Then it appeared on ebay for around $3500 and then vanished.Then it appeared last week again for the same $3495 and the auction ended early.....so you obviously bought it!
    Its 100% Cunetto.I have the pics of it in pieces from the first seller.It would have been classed as a 60's Tele event hough its not period correct.Nice guitar,few made....still cursing missing it so cheap.Buzzy at Lark St is still cursing selling it so cheap!

8. Gavin

Gavin Supporting Member

Yes, that is the one. The person who was selling on ebay (if you saw the auction) actually put his phone number in the desrciption. He priced it way too high so that people would call him, work a deal, cancel the auction and not pay eBay fees.

Thanks for all you help but it seems that it may be a mystery on what year reissue. I've got plenty more pix if showing a particular area of the guitar would help to "date" it.

Gavin

9. telesquire

telesquire Member

A mystery you can never solve unless you can persuade Vince to check up on his list of Relics produced and he's a bit busy producing his own aged guitars right now.
    I have a jpeg of another 60's relic Tele like yours but with the correct steel saddles for that period.....its COA reads 1963 Relic Telecaster and was produced in 1996.There were a few different runs of these guitars produced for different dealers like Norms,Sam Ash etc.Each dealer made its own requests for the models required.
    These 60's Tele Relics were never mass produced and never became a standard catalog model relic so its impossible to classify them without a COA I'm afraid.Play and enjoy,just call it a 60's Tele!
    On the other hand see if you can attract the help of Fullerplast on here as he has a 60'S Cunetto Tele in sunbust that is similar to yours,he may have the COA.

10. LARRY GERSHON

LARRY GERSHON Silver Supporting Member

Whats The Deal On These Relics- What Makes Them Different

11. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

wow, beautiful guitar no matter what year!

12. Gavin

Gavin Supporting Member

How do I get ahold of Vince? Is it best to do a "shout out" here?

Gavin

13. Gavin

Gavin Supporting Member