Surfaholics-Please school me on the Jazzmaster

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by scott1568, Jan 4, 2008.

1. scott1568

scott1568 Member

Are these the ultimate surf guitar? I recently discovered a band called Satan's Pilgrims...downloaded some tunes to my IPOD. It seems as though they are getting tones that I cannot get from a Strat.

Thanks!

2. El Jefe

El Jefe Member

Satan's Pilgrims are awesome! You HAVE to get the album "Soul Pilgrim"

They used Jaguars, JM's, and Fender outboard reverb units. You can hear them kick the reverb tanks all over their albums.

3. alvagoldbook

alvagoldbook Member

the ultimate surf guitar is the Mosrite Ventures model. If you have trouble getting a real one get a Hallmark 60 Custom.

4. DavidH

DavidH Supporting Member

5. scott1568

scott1568 Member

I actually have an idea...I was thinking about picking up a beater Jag-Stang (you can get one for really cheap $$) and routing it for the Jazzmaster pickups just to screw around.

Or...just hold out for awhile.

6. scott1568

scott1568 Member

OK thanks, I'll check that out. I'll be downloading some more tonight. The songs I have are SH*T Sandwich and Vampira.

All I know is, besides the guitar work, the drummer is right on time as well.

7. scott1568

scott1568 Member

Thank-you very much....that's a tone I have heard a million times and always assumed it was a Strat somehow. Jeez...just when I thought I was content you know??

8. DavidH

DavidH Supporting Member

Often times it probably is a strat,and i'm sure you can good surf sounds with one.it's just there are inherant differences in how they attack and sustain and resonate etc.It's more to do with the bridge/trem than the pickups,JMs have this kind of music box natural vibrato thing going on that's mechanical due to the hardware.Strats have a springyness too that we all know but it's more of a 'boing' on a Jazzmaster,what happens to the energy from the string is different.It's a mechanical difference.Hard to describe but easy to feel.YMMV and various other disclaimers-just my experience.

I didn't really mean those links as reference examples,i really dig that clip of The Jokers though,it's well trippy sounding.

9. sector9

sector9 Member

scott are you using a reverb unit? that is the biggest part of the surf sound. Iplay surf with a reverend charger or a strat, you don't need a jag or jazzmaster.

10. ricoh

ricoh Member

I did an entire Latin Surf album in the mid 90's. It was surf inspired instrumentals with latin percussion and trad drumming. I used JM's..... Jags and Strats along with acoustic guitars. They all sound good for surf. At the time I used flat wounds that started with 13's. I used a reverb tank and a HR deluxe with the satellite effects speaker. The reverb tank was a re-issue. To me, they have a certain sprong that cannot be recreated with on board reverb.Originals are even more realistic but I did not want to spend the $$$$$$$$$for a vintage one. I had a ball and it took about a year in my home studio. We did some spy , spaghetti western stuff and hot rod too!!!!!!! If you want to try one look into the "Crafted in Japan" models. Some guys change up the electronics and PU's but they sound pretty good stock. I put some Duncan's in mine but the original PU's were good too. The build quality on the JM I have is terrific. The Jaguar is "Made In Japan" and it sounds good too but it is not built as well as the CIJ. I also had a vintage 62 Jag that was one a very early one. That guitar had a stellar sound but the others compared favorably.

11. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

JMs are far more than just surf guitars. They put out some of the best jazz and blues tones you'll find in any solid body guitar. The pickups are in the P-90 camp, and fat as can be. Waaaay more versatile than many believe.

12. scott1568

scott1568 Member

Long answer...yes. I had a parallel effects loop installed in my Bassman, and it works great. I tried a Digitech Digiverb pedal through it (don't laugh), and while I can get a decent splash, it's not "there" at all. Plus the amp hates the "spring" setting- and I don't blame the amp because I also have a Pharoah Amps "Echo Jr" pedal which sounds great.

So, I have a Line 6 Verbzilla on the way used from Ebay. We will see how that checks out. I know... I'm trying to get some Reverb on the cheap, but I have heard some horror stories about the real Fender tanks-not to mention the cost.

What I hear on some old recordings (as well as new) is a sort of "whip" or "plunk" or something, and then the echo following the pick attack-it's a real organic sound that I'm looking for.

Thanks for your help.

13. scott1568

scott1568 Member

After checking out some YouTube videos, I can appreciate that. I know that's a tacky way of finding out, but honestly, I have seen only one person playing a Jazzmaster live. He for some reason got rid of it soon...probably wasn't a good fit or something, I don't know. I like the tone though.

14. scott1568

scott1568 Member

OK thanks, I'll look for those. I told my friend (working band) about the Japanese Fenders. He bought a Strat, I set it up, he played it live for months and loves it. He just bought a MIJ Tele and loves that too.