Surfer Girl by one of my favorite guitarists.

66fs

I enjoy middle of the road guitar playing. I just sit in front of a mirror and watch myself play. I find it enjoyable.;) But there are times when I need to be inspired to push myself to explore different things. That's why I enjoy watching someone play something that is insanely hard to reproduce. It also makes me appreciate the discipline it must take to get that insanely good.

dhdfoster

Gold Supporting Member
Does anyone actually enjoy guitar playing that isn't insanely hard to reproduce?

Does it have to be excruciatingly difficult in order to be enjoyable?

I'm not sure what happened to the middle road of guitar playing but there apparently isn't one anymore.
Are you asking this because pop and rock radio is dominated by excruciatingly difficult guitar playing?

Jim Soloway

I never said there should be no place for Virtuosos... nor did I say everything should be minimalistic. I asked three simple questions yet you would rather answer your own rhetorical questions.

It's all good. I just asked some simple questions... didn't think I was busting your chops or diminishing Jody in any way.
In that case I wonder what reason you would have for asking these questions in this context? (And I did start my response by answering your main question).

DRS

Jody Fisher is also a great educator. I have a bunch of his books and his Jazz Guitar Christmas book gets my a$$ out of a sling every time I'm asked to play something at Christmas.

Jerrod

Gold Supporting Member
I never said there should be no place for Virtuosos... nor did I say everything should be minimalistic. I asked three simple questions yet you would rather answer your own rhetorical questions.

It's all good. I just asked some simple questions... didn't think I was busting your chops or diminishing Jody in any way.
Seriously? Your response to Jim's post is 3 questions with no context, and the result is something that sounds confrontational, as if Jim is somehow responsible for music becoming too complex and sophisticated for you. Good grief.

zenmindbeginner

Gold Supporting Member
... as if Jim is somehow responsible for music becoming too complex and sophisticated for you.
Simple questions deserve simple answers. Not really sure why you want to argue and present a strawman fallacy instead of just moving along like a normal person.

I however, liked the interpretation and thought it was amazing!

I'm just curious... that's why people ask questions.

Jerrod

Gold Supporting Member
Simple questions deserve simple answers. Not really sure why you want to argue and present a strawman fallacy instead of just moving along like a normal person.

I however, liked the interpretation and thought it was amazing!

I'm just curious... that's why people ask questions.
You're just curious. And a little shy on setting context. You know. Like a normal person.

BuddyGuit

Silver Supporting Member
Does anyone actually enjoy guitar playing that isn't insanely hard to reproduce?

I'm not sure what happened to the middle road of guitar playing but there apparently isn't one anymore.
I don't enjoy music based on simplicity or difficulty. Jody Fisher playing a more harmonically complex version of Sufer Girl or Bill Frisell playing the melody to Wildwood Flower simply with no embellishments are both beautiful to my ear.

M138

100% Fenriz Approved

No. Yes. No there isn't one anymore. Simple enough?

Trending Topics