Surge in CJOD's for sale?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by drummondrs, Dec 11, 2005.

1. drummondrs

drummondrs Member

Has anyone else spotted the sudden surge in CJOD's for sale. I keep spotting them everywhere now. I would snap one up but I just don't the cash. Maybe the legend isn't all its cracked up to be

2. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

i think people just realized how much they could get for them.

3. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

This is exactly what it is. The CJOD is just a great OD pedal.

4. Matt_Scogo

Matt_Scogo Senior Member

Where do you see them for sale?

5. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

there's been like 4 in the emporium in the past 2 weeks or so ... and they've been on ebay too ... there's 2 in the emporium as we speak

6. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Those guys must need $$ for Christmas presents. :)
    Greg

7. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

They may be great pedals but there outragously priced high! Seems like people are just trying to make some xtra cash!

8. Matt_Scogo

Matt_Scogo Senior Member

Yeah, I can see trying to recover money invested, but some people are purely making a profit... major-league a-holes methinks. If you don't like the pedal, fine sell it, make $50 xtra... not $500, dill-hole.
    I'm sure this ain't what Clay had in mind, probably ticks him off.

Rock on dudes!!:RoCkIn

9. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

I put mine up with an opening bid of what I paid - $220 with no reserve and let it go for what it would bring.....

The only thing stupider than me selling it for $660, would be me selling it to someone for $220 and then they turn and sell it for $660 :)

10. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

11. Robal

Robal Supporting Member

So, are you suggesting Clay Jones was "stupid" to sell them for what he did? ;)

12. Matt_Scogo

Matt_Scogo Senior Member

Precisely my point... your intention was to make a large profit. If not, you would have sold it out right for a meager profit margin. I never said anyone was stupid... your smart, you made nearly 3 times a return on your investment. I just think its not scrupulous... not you personally.

I still think that this is not what Clay intended and probably one of the reasons he ain't making anymore pedals for a while. I talked with him before Thanksgiving and he expressed that he didn't care for all the "hype". So, you draw a conclusion... thats all... nothin' personal.:AOK

13. Kingpin

Kingpin Member

What's not scrupulous about it? A buyer and seller BOTH willingly entered a transaction in a free market auction. Nobody was ripped off. Once Clay Jones had completed the original sale - how the aftermarket values his pedals is completely out of his control. Same goes for Mr. Way Huge, Pete Cornish - or any other maker. It's up to the free market to discover an equilibrium price where the buyers and sellers match up.

14. 50Cal

50Cal Member

I personally believe that someone will be selling/making the CJOD soon. Call it a hunch. I will be more than happy to buy a CJOD from them when they do. Cheers.

15. Matt_Scogo

Matt_Scogo Senior Member

Dude... it's rape and profiteering.
    It is what it is.
    And it is supply and demand... and that's fine, but the original pedal transactions were more intimate... not intended to be auctioned to the highest bidder... the fact that only 52 were made wasn't so that people could sell them "2 WEEKS" later for a large profit. I think it is disrespectful to the buyer and to Clay. My opinion only.

Kingpin... if you don't get it, I don't have time to explain it to you. I understand economics and I value your statement.
    Later dudes!:dude :dude :dude :dude

16. Idlewilde

Idlewilde Member

Well ... for what it's worth I just bought a three channel amp with a great boost funtion for solos for $1250 and an Ultimate Attenuator and I'm pretty well set. All together it cost me $2000. But I won't be needing anymore pedals...Besides..I'm happy with my current pedals. They work great for me. Teese RMC2 > Klon > Analogman Bi-Chorus > SIB Echodrive (Blue). :rolleyes:

17. ToneDog

ToneDog Member

Matt:

With all due respect, a willing seller and a willing buyer collectiively determined a price that both were happy with, the goods and cash exchanged hands and all went home content. Sounds like the perfect definition of "a good deal" to me.

There are tons of examples both inside and outside of the guitar community where prices on some items have risen to what could be called exorbitant levels because of supply and demand - it's a powerful process. I'm pretty sure Van Gogh and Renoir did not intend for their pieces to sell for millions either. But whether that occurs in 2 weeks, 2 years, 2 decades or 2 centuries is not a factor. In fact, as time goes on, there is a reasonable chance that the CJOD could command even more. Did you see that #0001 Menatone pedal (a Trem, I think...?) that sold on eBay a few months back for over $5,000.00? I remember Menatone in the early days and I can assure you that those pedals were sold in a more intimate manner as well.

18. Matt_Scogo

Matt_Scogo Senior Member

Well... its EXACTLY the point that its 2 weeks later. WTF does Van Gogh have to do with anything... nothing, a totally irrelevant point. Thats re-framing an argument. But if we must, lets go.

I'll assume that VG wasn't a "full-time" artist, unlike CJ. VG paints a special batch for a few people who ASKED of him to specially make these portraits. The offered buyers are commonly connected. He sells the paintings for less than he probably could have with full intentions of them being for personal use. 2 weeks later people sell the paintings for 3-4x the paid amount. Anybody should see that this is inherently undermining and opportunist... but it is OK. Once you buy the pedal its yours... stick it your ass if you want to!

Now that I've equated this to your simile, I hope you get it. This has nothing to do with Clays point-of-view, I DON'T know what he thinks. This is MY opinion... and that CAN'T be wrong.

And last I heard... Menatone is a much more largely manufactured pedal company than CJ. No brainer and besides... I don't care about Menatone!

Maybe you didn't read my post thoroughly. I don't care if you sell your dang pedal for $4000... more power to you! That doesn't make it ethically correct. I'm not passing judgement personally on anyone, I'm sure you're good people. I'm being as nice as possible, please don't take this personally.
    Rock on F-er's!!!:dude :dude :dude

19. dosmun

dosmun Member

Calling someone an A hole for selling there pedal is friggin ridiculous:NUTS If anyone is an Ass it is the buyer who pays waaaaay too much for the thing and drives the prices up.

20. Matt_Scogo

Matt_Scogo Senior Member

Agreed, but that doesn't negate the fact that the price-gouging is not evident.

How many people have complained about the price of gas in the past 6 months?

It is what it is, and that's all it is.

Why are my posts always so controversial?? Just agree and I'll STF-up!:Devil
    Later!!