Surprised by a Hot Rod Deluxe

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Brock, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Brock

Brock Member

My buddy needed an amp and this amp looked like the best for the money. I played one when I was younger and it was alright. Not quite what I was looking for back then. So we go and check it out. I bring my R9 and Klon and try it at the sellers house. It was ok. I didn't really crank it because his family was in the same room waiting to see if my friend was going to purchase the amp. He bought it because it was a great price and we took it to his house. That's when the magic happened. I turned it up to a little break up on the clean channel and hit the Klon with my R9 and the most beautiful tone came out. I say great job to the Fender builders for making a reasonable priced amp that sounds great. It very well may be my next purchase.

2. tcmono

tcmono Member

Send it to Omega Amps to be modded and you'll be REALLY surprised . . .

3. playthecray

playthecray Member

I have had a Hot Rod Deluxe since the late 90's. Back then the amps were reasonbly priced new. Now, not so much. My amp is stock and provides a very nice clean platform for pedals. I am not a big fan of the master channel and rely on an assortment of pedals for overdriven tones.

4. Brock

Brock Member

Can they improve the drive channel?

5. jcbranam

jcbranam Supporting Member

Yeah thats the biggest selling point is the transformation of the drive sections.

6. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Try a speaker change first if your only going to use the clean channel you will be surprised at how much better the amp can sound with out any circuit mods.

7. lonejackrd

lonejackrd Member

Check out Fuchs for a mod.

8. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

I've owned both Omega modded and unmodded HRDxs. Great platform for pedals.

The mods smooth out the drive channel (think Mk I Boogie) and make the cleans more blackface. It's a cool amp either way but I kept the modded one and sold the stock one.