Surprised by Heritage Eagle Classic

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jzucker, Aug 9, 2006.

1. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

I recently bought a Heritage Eagle Classic from John.M on the board here. For those of you not familiar, it's an L5 CES style instrument. 3" body, solid maple back and sides, carved spruce top, set-in humbuckers, 25.5" scale 5 piece neck with ebony fingerboard, etc. This instrument was made before they bought the Plek machine but in any event, doesn't need it. It plays wonderfully. Frets and action are fantastic. I have criticized Heritage in the past for neck/fret issues but I think their guitars have steadily improved to the point of being fantastic instruments. This instrument sounds better than the Gibson Wes Montgomery guitar I had a few years ago. I'd probably have to go back to my '64 L5CES to find a Gibson L5 that sounded as good.

Anyway, not trying to write a review here. Just putting out the word that the Heritage guitars are fantastic instruments and pennies on the dollar compared to the comparable Gibson. (And no, I'm not an endorser)

I'm checking out a Heritage 535 this friday too...

2. tommyg

tommyg Member

Glad you enjoy them! I have 2 Heritage guitars and have yet to find a Gibby that can touch them in quality, feel, fit, finish, and pure vibe - IMHO of course!
    :AOK

3. somecafone

somecafone Member

I was just going to pm/email about that instrument when I saw the "sold" entries in the thread.
    If you decide to part with it, let me know. But based on your post, it sounds like you are going to have it for some time.

Congrats on your new "jazz bling"!!!

4. dudeunitx5000

dudeunitx5000 Senior Member

I have an H575 and an H137:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. scottlr

scottlr Member

I have looked for a Heritage version of a LP Special or Jr, and I don't find that the model even exists on their website. Sure looks like one you have in your picture.

6. dudeunitx5000

Go to www.wolfeguitars.com. That is where I got mine. They have H137s in single and double P90 versions.

7. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I agree 100%. I for the life of me don't know why people spend what they do on Historic instruments when I great company like Heritage exists. :AOK

8. scottlr

scottlr Member

Thanks, I found them. I wonder why I couldn't find them on the Heritage website hmmm.

I hate it when dealers say Call for price.

9. Hamer Player

Hamer Player Senior Member

Heritage are far better than Gibson in my opinion.

10. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

They do make fine guitars - that said, the H150 I had was just a little 'off'. You know - some fret markers were a bit crooked, neck finish kinda sticky... Sounded great!

11. BigDoug1053

BigDoug1053 Supporting Member

Heritage guitars are fine instruments - and the archtops are definitley values. I had a Heritage Johnny Smith "The Rose" for several years that was a beauty. Unfortunately, I never bonded with it and eventually sold it.

12. dudeunitx5000

I am pretty sure that my Heritage H137 is only available through Wolfe Guitars. Heritage makes several models that don't appear on their website. You just have to go looking for them.

13. THROBAK

THROBAK Vendor

Man am I chomping at the bit to get my first Heritage. I have a custom H-150CM on order with brazilian board, some of my own hand wound pickups with a Peter Greene neck magnet flip and it will be chambered. It is going to be Sweet!

14. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

I've had a Sweet 16 for about 14 years that is my go to guitar for playing with a Tucson swing band. I had a Golden Eagle for a while too, but traded it for a Gibson LP.

I like Gibson and Heritage myself, and I find their quality to be about equal.

I wouldn't mind adding a Heritage solid body to my herd someday.

:cool:

15. dudeunitx5000

Actually, it is more like saying the folks who made Porsche back in the day, dogg, made them better than they do now. At least from my experience with them, Heritage guitars are much nicer guitars, soundwise playabilitywise constructionwise, than any current Gibson. The only Gibsons that equal Heritage in quality are the old fifties and sixties ones.

16. Mutley

Mutley Supporting Member

I took delivery of a custom ordered H-157 two weeks ago and I'm wondering why I'm hanging on to my '95 R8, which was the best sounding LP style guitar I had ever owned until the Heritage arrived. I have a 535 also. They make great guitars and Jay Wolfe gets many of the best. The LP Junior/Special was Jay's idea and is only available through him unless you can find one used. I've played a bunch at his shop. Nitro finish, great wood, Lollar P90s, great pricing. No contest.

17. 60HzShuffle

60HzShuffle Member

Jack - I told it was a really nice guitar!!! Are you going to post some videos soon?

18. scottlr

scottlr Member

Yeah, there was one other dealer that seemed to have them, also "call for price" :(

Do you recall the MSRP? I can figure approximate street price from that. Just curious if they are in my probable price range.

19. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Silver Supporting Member

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    Wolfe Guitars has some great looking H535s in stock right now. I bought mine from them a year ago (wine red, Seth Lovers) and it's been an outstanding guitar, at $500 less than the best price I found on a ES-335.

20. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

If anyone's looking, I have a cherry red Heritage 535 that's in exc+ condition I'd consider selling to fund a 6 string bass purchase...

i may post it in the FS group this weekend or put it on ebay.