Surprised by output of hot passive vs. active

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by doc, Apr 24, 2016.

1. doc

doc Member

I've played both passive and active pickups through the years, by far mostly passive. I can't recall ever really comparing them head to head much. I'm in the process of cramming some EMG 89 Xs into a superstrat, and comparing the tones against a Tone Zone in an old Peavey Predator. The Tone Zone is louder and has more treble energy, and sounds a bit more articulate. It sounds more raw and natural. It also has a bit more bass but its looser sounding. The EMGs are tighter sounding, slightly compressed, and somehow make certain things a bit more musical - they seem to roll off some of the extraneous noise (pick and finger squeaks and such). I can see how in the mix they might be better - they're more focused. I think they're more forgiving of less than perfect technique. For some reason I was thinking the EMGs would be hotter. I guess if I were running long cables and lots of effects they would be. If I can get it all sorted I think I'll stay with the EMGs in this guitar (having a hard time finding room for the battery), but I think for sheer power I'm sticking with passives from here.