Surprising quality for low $-Ibanez Artcore

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by HeeHaw, Feb 10, 2006.

1. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

2. Boogs

Boogs Member

Picked up the AF105NFT for $570 (usually go for $700 or so), and it's amazing. Not one of the really inexpensive ones, but incredible value nonetheless.

3. fugazi

fugazi Member

I own the AS-73. It is a ES 335 copy, and is a really high quality instrument. I replaced the pickups with some Duncans, and it is 90% of the way to a 335 for under $500 total.

Love the skinny neck, too.

4. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

Thanks for heads up on the neck. I've got a small hand.

5. dmagalhaes

dmagalhaes Supporting Member

I bought a AFS75T (W/Bigsby). Replaced the tuners with some Gotohs and left the rest alone. It's a fantastic value..

6. Hardtail

Hardtail Member

I've got one too (AS73) in purpleburst - stock pickups are fine & even the tuners do the deal ... requires nothing extra (can't say this for any sub-$500 guitar I've ever owned). Gaga about it ... its all the ES335 guitar I'll ever need - absolutely silly quality for the money. KIlls my buddy's Epi Dot ...

HT

7. mavrick10_2000

mavrick10_2000 Member

Add me to the list. Actually, most people who pick one up end up owning it. They're known not just for an exceptional value but actually a pretty nice instrument and setup pretty darn well.

I bought my AS83 about a month ago. Great guitar. I replaced the tuners with Real Gotoh's and it's awesome. The pickups actually sound good with my setup. Who know's I'll probably put some Duncan's in it someday because I like to tinker with some of my gear. But that would be the only reason to do it.

8. kwaves99

kwaves99 Member

I paid 268 bucks for a sunburst AS-73 (Es 335 Copy) when they first came out. Last year I replaced the pickups with Harmonic Design Z-90's, and put a better nut, better pots and a better jack in the guitar and now for about 525 bucks its a great guitar. And the .12-.46 D'addarios (with a wound G) make the guitar just ring!

By the way any Pyramid users here? Great strings but it seems there are issues with their US distributor. Just String's doesn't carry them any more:mad:

9. fugazi

fugazi Member

No question the Ibanez 335 copies kill the Epis. Mine just has a nice "zing". I replaced the pickups because they didn't clean up that well for me. The Duncans made a huge difference.

Thought about putting on Grovers, but the thing stays in tune really well. Better than my SG or my V.

Go figure. Artcores are some of the best bang for the buck guitars out there. Also, the MIM Teles are really a lot of guitar for the money.

10. oldguitar

oldguitar Member

I took a day here a while back and hit three guitar stores, tryed Gibsons, Fenders, Martins, Taylors etc. etc.. What was I most impressed with? An Ibanez semi-hollow, don't remember the model, and an Ibanez acoustic. I couldn't believe it! Almost bought the acoustic, kinda wish I had. Great buys!

11. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I really wanted to buy an Epi studio, because it was just gorgeous looking, but everyone I picked up just had issues. Rough frets, iffy electronics, ultra bad intonation. Not the Ibanez. I plopped money down on the spot. I don't care about what name is on the headstock, just the fact that it works for me is what's important.:cool:

12. therealting

therealting Member

My Ibanez ArtStar was my first electric, and I still keep it on a stand close to my desk so I can grab it at any time. I'm a single-coils kinda guy, but this guitar is SO comfortable!

13. Riscchip

Riscchip Member

I have the AF85. What a killer sounding guitar. Bought it as a cheap guitar I could play plugged or unplugged at work. Serious player, great fit and finish at the price point.

14. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

I was gonna pick one of those up. Do they use a "plywood"(guess that would be the term) body? If so, would it effect the tone? Longevity?

15. therealting

therealting Member

I believe they have a laminated, bent top... a carved solid top would be far too expensive for this price bracket. However I also believe that is no different to most hollowbody / semi-hollowbody Gibsons.

16. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

The brochure said mine was made from maple. Looking inside, it does have the maple color. Other than that, I don't know what it's made from. It sounds pretty good with the factory pickups too. I don't think I'm going to change anything just yet.:BluesBros

17. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

Tone is probably more uniform (less variation from one guitar to the next) . Plus a lam arch-top is stronger and could have a thinner top because of it . Unless there's a sub-standard glue used in the lam , longevity should be better if anything . There's less chance of it cracking like a carve-top might over time due to humidity worries .

Good catch ,HH :AOK
    I was gonna go that way but all anybody had in town was red 73's , need to see if there's a brown one around yet .

18. dmagalhaes

dmagalhaes Supporting Member

Mine is brown, It's Sweet..

19. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

I don't know why anyone would be surprised by the quality of Ibanez guitars. I've been buying them since the 70's, and all of them were built to high standards, including the two Korean SZ models I own. :AOK

20. Srini

Srini Guest

This is not a reflection on the Ibanez, but do try fat necks. I have small hands too, and my Warmoth fatback neck has turned out to be the most comfortable neck I've played - not to mention what that can do for your tone.

Srini