1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Survey for gigging guitarists

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mbratch, Jan 20, 2006.

1. mbratch

mbratch Member

A survey for all gigging guitarists who use an amp:
    • What effects (type, not brand) do you put between your guitar and amp input?
    • What effects (type, not brand) do you put in the effects loop of your amp?
    • What kind of effects loop do you have, serial or parallel?

2. Dr Rico

Dr Rico Member

This all depends on the gig. Casual? Theater? Touring support? Recording session (and is it a demo, an ad, or ???).

So...kinda hard to make it succinct. If I collapse to the lowest common denominator...

1) Usually have a wah or mutron, an octave fuzz, a fuzz, an OD, maybe EQ, sometimes delay, usually one type of modulation pedal like a trem or phaser or flanger or univibe. Recent common set up: Mutron III, Octave fuzz, Fuzz, OD, Phaser in "live" rooms so no delay...

2) Rarely use a loop. When I do, delay and sometimes reverb, depending on the room.

3) When I use a loop, its usually series. Rarley use a mixer and run in parallel.

Tomorrow night: Octave fuzz -> Fuzz -> -> OD -> Phaser -> Trem

3. jeffhef

jeffhef Member

Dist--->Dist/OD--->Boost--->Chor/Vib/Trem--->Flanger--->Volume Pedal

I run form the guitar to a line buffer then into the first Dist. I run a tuner off the tuner jack on the Volume Pedal.

I don't use an effects loop.

jeffhef

4. playon

playon Supporting Member

No effects loop in any of my amps... all go between the guitar and amp. Depending on the gig I bring between one and three, a simple gig like jazzy or country stuff, maybe like one overdrive, & a delay and maybe a wah if it's a more rockin' thing... if the gig warrants it and/or if the stage is big enough & I want to have fun, I bring my my whole board. On the board, two or three overdrive/distortion pedals, a treble-boost in front of the overdrives, a wah, a flanger/chorus type of pedal, sometimes a delay, and at the end of the chain, a clean boost to retain the signal or to bump up the volume if needed. If the amp I'm using doesn't have reverb I bring an analog delay for short echoes, if no tremelo I bring a trem pedal.

Then I have a bunch of what I consider "specialty" pedals that rarely go to a live gig, I would use them more for recording or real specific jobs, -- a Boomerang, a Boss VB-2 Vibrato, Experience Fuzz, Digitech Whammy, Roland volume pedal, envelope follower, etc.

Like Dr. Rico said, it all depends on the gig.

5. Don L

Don L Member

No loop.

1. With BF Fenders: Wah, couple of OD pedals, chorus, clean boost, and delay.

2. With Naylor or other "crunchy" amps: Same as above except no OD pedals.

6. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Well, I have a parallel effects loop my amp tech buddy installed in my TopHat Club Royale. But live I need a clean tone so I don’t plug anything into the loop live. Mainly for if I need to record a part with my amp distortion, in that case I’d put all my modulation and delay effects in the loop (chorus, vibe, delay).

At gigs though, I just plug straight through my pedals into my amp set clean. Get my dirt from OD/distortion pedals (usually a Keeley RAT and a Lovepedal Eternity)

7. Big Bob

Big Bob Guest

Clean boost, OD, Distortion, Clean boost, (sometimes phaser or chorus)....amp. Parallel loop with delay set for repeats only.

For studio stuff anything goes...time permitting.

Bob

8. Mayflower

Mayflower Supporting Member

Comp., Dist., Delay, tuner and volume pedal. Dat's it.
    If the amp has verb, I MAY turn it on. But generally not.

9. bigroy

bigroy Member

Teese Wah>Keeley Comp>RC Booster> OCD>DD3>Swamp Thang>Tuner....

The only thing I like in a loop is Delay, but only if it's a parallel loop. Delay in a parallel loop is a beautiful thing.

10. MarkWorth

MarkWorth Member

^^^

11. gainiac

gainiac Senior Member

Wah and OD in front of amp. Delay in parallel FX loop.

12. todaystomorrow

todaystomorrow Member

fuzz>comp>od>trem>delay>clean boost>amp

i never use an effects loop

13. msp

msp Member

boost/buffer>comp>octafuzz>envelope filter>vol ped w/ clean boost>phase>chorus/vibra>delay>phrase sampler>amp

no effects loop...

for now

14. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

Never owned an amp with an effects loop, and no GAS for it at all...

Guitar -> Wah -> Phase Shifter -> OD -> OD -> OD -> Comp -> Chorus/Flanger -> Delay -> Amp

The boxes may change, but the idea remains the same with the exception of occasionally having a boost type pedal between the PS and the OD's

15. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

Guitar > Keeley TB Looper > Amp (usually Victoria 35310 these days)

Or:

Guitar > Keeley TB Looper > Tuner > Wah > OD > Boost > Chorus > Phaser> Delay > Tremolo > Looper > Amp

The Keeley Looper is cool, and I often like to go straight to the amp for cleanish rhythm sounds and then hit the Looper for solos which immediately kicks in my preset OD, boost, wah and/or delay. No tap dancing needed.

16. svanangen

svanangen Member

1. Overdrive, vibrato (VB2), tremolo, analog delay, boost
    2. chorus, delay
    3. parallell

17. HHB

HHB Member

they all go in the front like Jimi

18. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

Guitar > Compressor > Auto Wah > OD > Modulation efx > Volume pedal w/ tuner out> Delay > Looper