Survey for lead guitar players

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by OlicanaAlasdair, May 18, 2020.

1. OlicanaAlasdair

OlicanaAlasdair Member

Don't worry GCDEF and Alchemist XP, it's not a sales pitch. I have nothing to sell! For those of you interested here's some clarity on why I'm running the survey.

As anyone who has taught guitar knows, at some point the number of students you can take on caps out because you no longer have any available hours left that you can teach in. I'm fortunate in that I find myself in that position. However I realise that in order to sustain this career for myself I need to diversify my revenue streams. I love teaching and I have no interest in making my living as a gigging musician. For me I take the most joy from the instrument when I get to share it with other people. There is nothing more rewarding than the light bulb moment when a student “gets it”. I want to be able to do this for the rest of my life, but it has to be sustainable.

As such I want to expand my business online and produce material for people that helps them with their guitar playing. I've bought my fair share of courses in my time learning to play. Nothing sucks more than wasting your time and money on a course that doesn't help your playing. Through my private teaching I've learned a lot of strategies I don't see taught online. I want to be able to share those with as many people as possible because I genuinely want to help the guitar playing community. There is no snake oil solution to being a better guitar player. But there are practice strategies that have helped my students get the most out of their limited practice time.

So the purpose of the survey is to figure out what people want. I can't launch a general learn to play guitar course because it's not niche enough and at the end of the day nobody online knows who I am. Therefore I need to figure out a niche, and create a social media presence around it.

If I have to spend my time doing that then I want to be teaching topics that excite me, and that are useful/desirable to those who want to watch. I'm particular passionate about improvisation and soloing. This is the kind of material I would like to produce but I want to be certain there is a demand for it before I spend a lot of time putting social media content and/or a course together. Furthermore the questions in the survey are to figure what kind of music people like to play, what things they are struggling with in their lead guitar playing, and to ascertain if there is anything in particular they would like to see; that they think would help them with their problems.

I really appreciate everyone who has answered the survey already. The feedback has not only been hugely helpful but also really positive and I'm extremely grateful for that.

Thanks,
    Alasdair
    :)

Toffo likes this.
  2. jimw427

jimw427 Silver Supporting Member

3. RCM78

RCM78 Member

4. OlicanaAlasdair

OlicanaAlasdair Member

5. WordMan

WordMan Silver Supporting Member

Ha. I am *not* in your target group - my objective is to sound like Keith Richards playing Malcolm Young riffs - but I am curious as to what the questions are!

6. TheClev

TheClev As seen on TV

My goal is to play more gigs, so pretty much every answer was, "end coronavirus." I'm sure my survey will be VERY helpful. :crazy

7. 8ftsq

8ftsq Member

Took the survey, good luck!

8. OlicanaAlasdair

OlicanaAlasdair Member

:rolleyes: The first response I received from another forum was just a rude word over and over again, I think they win for least helpful answers!

Currently all my teaching is done over the internet because of COVID. I miss teaching in person, it's much better. Bring on a return to normality!

9. blandy-rhoades

blandy-rhoades Member

10. Eric Rowland

Eric Rowland Member

11. lhallam

lhallam Member

12. bluesjunior

bluesjunior Member

13. monwobobbo

monwobobbo Member

took the survey though i gave honest answers not sure how helpful they will be.

14. PatrickE_FenderADV

PatrickE_FenderADV Supporting Member

Done. But confused how some of those questions can help TBH.

15. bgh

bgh Supporting Member

Done. Interesting questions.

16. Mark Ray

Mark Ray The RockTrain Gold Supporting Member

17. moore-fiend

moore-fiend Member

18. Pat6969

Pat6969 Supporting Member

Done!! Now call me!! I need help!!:bkw

19. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member