Survey: Smart moves vs. Dumb moves.....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by TRIODEROB, Feb 28, 2006.

1. TRIODEROB

TRIODEROB Senior Member

As far as amps go - whats the smartest move you made vs the dumbest?

for me:

dumb: Not buying a mint Red Park 75 watter for cheap when I had the offer

smart: making my own mission amp 5e3 tweed

2. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

Smart/good move: Bought Aiken Invader MK2 and the Ganesha before they went out of production.

Dumb/bad move: Sold my matching '97 (Black/Shower Curtain black) Matchless HC30 and 2x12 cab in '99 for too little.

3. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Dumbest:
    Selling the Ac15 w/blue that I picked up for $300 (of course I made a quick $700 profit tho). Miss that sucker.

Smartest:
    Buying the Zinky Superfly.

4. Aint Life Hell?

Aint Life Hell? Member

Smart: Not buying a Gain Star (not that they aren't wonderful, but it was brand new at the time and I think most products undergo much needed BETA testing after their first being released...).
    DUMB: Not buying a Bruno Cowtipper 22 for $1200.00
    SSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTTTTTTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPPIIIIIIIIIIDDDDDD!

5. Stevo57

Stevo57 Supporting Member

Mine involve the same amp.
    Smart: Jumping on the 62 Brown Princeton on the Emporium over 2 years ago for $700. Museum Quality with original Victoria luggage cover.
    Dumb: Trading it for a 73 SG which a few months later developed a cracked headstock sitting in the case.
    :mad:

6. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

Dumbest: Trading a c. 1990 Marshall JCM900 2x12 combo/EL-34 straight up for a Peavey Duel 212 brand new, in 1997. Not that the Marshall was so wonderful, but the Peavey was soooooo bad. Ugh. :jo

Smartest: Selling my 2002 Bad Cat Hot Cat 30 1x12 combo to finance a *much-needed* two-week trip to Florida after graduating from graduate school. Now that I've discovered some of the tones I can get using some good pedals and a "cheaper" amp set-up, I don't even miss the Bad Cat. It was great amp, but for a fraction of the cost I think my tone is probably just as good now as it was back then...and I got to go on a vacation!!! :dude

Doc

7. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

Smartest: Buying a Mesa Boogie Super 60 from the "factory" in 1978. Then selling it in 1998 (for about what I paid for it) when I didn't need to lug that load around, and buying a Clark Beaufort.

Dumbest: None really. There is no amp I've sold that I've not been able to replace or loved so much I wish I had it back... I would've said selling my '73 Princeton Reverb when I moved from Boston to Seattle in '80, but I couldn't take 2 amps... and I found a great BF PR in '99 so I'm ahead of where I would've been. I might say not buying a Vox AC30 Handwired but I can't lift the combo.. the head still taunts me, LOL.

cheers,
    Jon

8. Cap'n Fingers

Cap'n Fingers Member

T-Town. Home of street construction hell!
    Smart: Buying a 64 Princton Rev and 64 Fender Mustang from a desperate buddy for $200.00.

Dumb: Routing out the Mustang to drop a humbucker in it and selling it 15 years later for $75.00

Smart revisited: Kept the Princeton for 30 years. Now it's worth $1200.00+ and sounds better than ever.

9. Randy

Randy Member

Smartest: Borrowing money from my brother so I could buy a '66 JTM45 I found for $1500 a couple of years ago.

Dumbest: Selling the JTM45 a month later for $2500. The only amp I've ever actually made money on, but also the only one I really should have kept.

10. Ogre

Ogre Member

Smartest- Buying a 3-10 tweed Bandmaster and 4-10 tweed Bassman on the same day for $400.
    Dumbest- Getting rid of my blonde Tremelux, and replacing it with a blue sparkle 3-12 Kustom amp in 1969!

11. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

Smart move: taking a Blackface bandmaster with matching but emty cabs on a trade for some stuff I don't even remember ( I think some 4x12 carvin cabs ).

Dumb move: Selling my 69' SG to finance a new amp back in 89'

12. Mark Kane

Mark Kane Silver Supporting Member

Bill, nothing wrong with that, you're just like a blackbird, you like shiny, sparkley things.;)

13. lookslikemeband

lookslikemeband Member

Smartest: Waking up a 4AM to snipe an E*** auction on an Emerald Green PRS CU22 for $900.

Dumbest: Not buying a Matchless Lightning from a friend of mine a few years back for $750

14. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

For amps I would have to say

Smartest: Taking a chance with buying an amp from Nate @ Bumbox amps. I had just sold my 50 watt Plexi reissue, which I messed with enough to get a good sound out of, but I began to miss some of the clarity that I could get from my Fenders. Told Nate what I liked about my Blackface Bassman and the Plexi and he made me his Cielo and I love it.

Dumbest: Getting rid of my 66 Blackface Bassman head. It was a really great sounding head, just awesome, but I always have a hard time justifying keeping gear that I don't ever use. I have no idea why, but I hate seeing stuff just laying around collecting dust.

15. ES350

ES350 Member

Smartest: bought a DR Hiwatt 50 for 300 bucks.
    Dumbest: sold it for 500 to pay rent.

Smartest: bought a '56 Twin for 50 bucks.
    Dumbest: sold a mint '59 Twin for 1K to pay rent.

Smartest: bought two tweed Bassmans in 1979.
    Dumbest: sold them for about 500 apiece in the mid-80's.

16. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

*OUCH*, but thanks for sharing your pain...I know a lot of us have been in similar situations.... :jo

17. Unburst

Unburst Member

Dumb:
    Not buying a friend's '73 Marshall JMP for £150 back in the '80's

Smart:
    Buying my '64 Vox AC30 for £100 in '91

18. guitarman_1

guitarman_1 Silver Supporting Member

I Had a music store in the early to mid 80's. So Ive had a ton, but here are my most memorable.
    Smart- buying a 1957 Les paul custom 3 PAF for 300.00
    Dumb- Selling same guitar to a friend for 1500.00 years later.

Smart- Buying a Dumble ODS50 for 500.00
    Dumb - Selling the amp for the same 500.00 I didnt apreciate its sound as a young man.

Smart-buying 1961 Les pau/SG custom for 500.00.
    Dumb- talking the 3 PAF's out and replacing wtith Dimarzio super D's.Sold PAF"S for 100 each.

At least I kept pics of the gear that went thru my hands back then, and now.
    I could write a book, but I would probably have a heart attack when I figure how
    many great guitars and amps Ive had, and how much money I would have :jo

19. Dr Rico

Dr Rico Member

[​IMG]

20. KennyM

KennyM Supporting Member

Dumbest:
    Well, even though I have no regrets at all, from an investment return point of view, my signature line sort of says it all. My real dumbest sale was my 64' strat years ago.

Smartest:
    That strat sale formed the creed I have now lived by for almost 20 years -
    NEVER, EVER, EVER, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE SHORT OF DEATH (and even then, just see if you can get by with donating a kidney or something) EVER, EVER SELL A GREAT GUITAR OR AMP! It might take years, but you'll definitely want it back. Except the Dumble of course :D

Kenny M.