SURVEY - Why Do People Still "Drive Drunk?"

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Phletch, Apr 14, 2016.

Why Do People Still "Drive Drunk?"

Poll closed Apr 24, 2016.
  1. People who drive drunk don't care about the possible consequences.

17.0%
  2. People who drive drunk have no regard for the law.

6.7%
  3. People who drive drunk don't think they'll get caught.

49.1%
  4. People who drive drunk think they're not above the legal limit

24.2%
  5. People who drive drunk think they are above the legal limit but still "OK to drive"

43.6%
  6. The penalties for DUI are not strong enough to be a deterrant

7.3%
  7. Insufficient and ineffective public awareness/education campaigns

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Insufficient focus on rehabilitation to treat alcoholism as a disease

2.4%
  9. People are just stupid

41.8%
  10. Other

9.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Phletch

Phletch Member

You are allowed to vote for up to 3 different choices, so even if you think that more than 3 are applicable you have to narrow it down to the 3 most applicable*. You cannot change your vote after you post, so make the first one count.

*If you vote for more than one choice, please rank them in order of significance in your comment.

Your comments are welcome, but please, please, please - your vote in the poll is just as important as your comments. So if you comment, please vote, especially if you voted "other," and explain your choice(s).

Despite decades of public awareness campaigns, progressive lowering of legal blood alcohol limits, stiffer penalties for offending, the statistics regarding death, injury, and higher probability of being in an accident as the result of being intoxicated while driving - people still drive drunk. For the purposes of this discussion we can include all intoxicating substances as contributing to "driving under the influence" (DUI), but keep in mind that alcohol is the primary intoxicant among those who offend.

I'm doing this as part of research for a university paper (I'm 51 and semi-retired, so I figured "what the hell? take a class"). I'm trying to gather data from as large of a sample population as I can in order for the survey to be as statistically significant as possible. This survey is being conducted with random people in person as well, but I thought I'd post it here because this is a pretty diverse "community."

Thanks in advance.

2. Scrapperz

Scrapperz Member

IMO, It's out of ignorance.

3. mattball826

mattball826 Member

Cuz they are dumb

Cal Webway and shane8 like this.
  4. Glenn D.

Glenn D. Member

Alcohol impairs judgment.

CRAIG4FSU, RCM78, DrSax and 12 others like this.
  5. playsarobin

playsarobin Results. Not excuses.

6. sixstringfuel

sixstringfuel Hotdogs kill Silver Supporting Member

You could check them all! But comes down to some people just don't give a sh!t about anyone else but themselves.

7. Chris Pile

Chris Pile Member

^^^ BINGO! ^^^

8. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

Don't drink and drive ... Because you might spill your drink :dude

I'm talking about chocolate milk btw :aok

Cal Webway likes this.
  9. fishruss

fishruss Member

Because they live out in the middle of nowhere with no public transit and have no sober friends?

AZChilicat likes this.
  10. FlyingVBlues

FlyingVBlues Gold Supporting Member

My best friend was killed by a drunk driver in Maryland. Barry was the clinical director of a drug treatment program and was dedicated to helping adolescents with substance abuse issues. The evening he was killed he was returning from a meeting with a group of parents who were requesting that the drug treatment facility Barry worked at expand their services in order to treat more children. The guy who hit him was on probation for a previous DWI/Vehicular Homicide. He was the grandson of a former Maryland governor, and political strings were pulled so he also got probation for my friends death. His blood alcohol level was over twice the legal limit and he also had an ounce of cocaine and $15K in cash in possession at the time of his arrest. By the time his trial took place the cocaine and cash conveniently disappeared from the police evidence locker.

In my opinion the drinking & driving laws are way too lenient. All too frequently people convicted of DUI are given a slap on the wrist instead of a sentence that is appropriate to the crime that was committed. People who drive while intoxicated should get mandatory jail time for committing a felony after the first offense and should permanently lose their driver's license, with no possibility of ever getting it back. People who are guilty of vehicular homicide while driving intoxicated should get life in prison with no possibility of parole. I have zero tolerance for anyone who drives while impaired by alcohol or drugs, regardless of the circumstances. My position may seem harsh, but your perspective changes after you lose a family member or a close friend to a drunk driver. I advocate mandatory installation of ignition interlock devices in all cars to prevent car engines from being started if the driver is intoxicated.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
    MGT, timallums and playsarobin like this.
  11. SPROING!

SPROING! Member

All of the above. They all have a story.

12. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Those are actually all superb choices.

EricPeterson likes this.
  13. lendryesky

lendryesky Member

I see no one here has seemed to have dealt with someone who is a serious alcoholic. My wife is. She has never had a DUI, but did get drunk to the point where she thought somebody was trying to break into our house and filed a (false) police report. She got community service, required AA meetings, and 1 year probation for the false police report. Where we live, there is not much crime, and they throw the book at people. She relapsed 2 days before her probation ended, but she did not have to do a PBT test the following day. That gives credence to the power of addiction as she would have been put in jail for 90 days if she did not complete her probation.

In other words, t's easy to cast stones at people who do things in poor judgment. Addiction is a disease of varying degrees. There are some who you would never suspect even if you lived with them, and some that are not even functional. Do NOT take this to mean that because it's a disease I believe drunk drivers or other related offenders should be exculpated, but before saying it's "selfish ignorance," maybe it's time to look at your own ignorance and read up on addiction. Chances are you know somebody who has it and you don't know about it. As for my wife, she volunteers, has the kindest heart, and probably the most selfLESS person I have ever known. When she drinks, Dr. Jekyll turns into Mrs. Hyde. Judgement goes out the window. She's relapsed a few times since then and had to be taken to the hospital for alcohol poisoning last summer, but went to rehab and has, to my knowledge, been sober since.

I seriously doubt many drunk drivers get in the car and think, "yeah, I'm wasted, but I probably can make it home without vehicular homicide tonight."

ur2funky, morlll, bgutschow and 6 others like this.
  14. LaceSensor1

LaceSensor1 Member

I think people will do anything because of alcohol's influence on their decision making abilities. It's a chicken and egg thing. Alcohol compromises decision making abilities, driving drunk happens to be a decision. So best answer would be, people place themselves into situations without a sober way home planned in advance. I think this is pretty common, by the time person is intoxicated, their brain is less likely to stop them from driving.

15. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

Because alcohol is served in 100's of 1,000's of establishments throughout the US. Here in my corner of the US, just about EVERYONE who drinks at a bar or restaurant will drive "drunk".

I am still a big fan of live music, and I see bands in clubs and bars. Almost everyone is having drinks...the bartenders sure do seem busy.

As long as there is alcohol, cars and people, folks will drive after they have drank.

For the record, I have 4 friends, one who was very close die from driving drunk

taez555, Cal Webway and Scrapperz like this.
  16. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

All the above. Mainly, people drive drunk because they're flaming idiots.

Scrapperz likes this.
  17. ANALOG GUY

ANALOG GUY Member

I ride my mountain bike too and fro the pub, even that's dangerous some nights on the sidewalk.

Scrapperz likes this.
  18. LaceSensor1

LaceSensor1 Member

19. aynirar27

aynirar27 All You Need Is Rock and Roll Gold Supporting Member

because they are assholes

20. orourke

orourke Member

My guess is that most people who drive drunk do it without incident. Most people get home without hurting anyone or themselves. It's kind of like nuclear power plants, most of the time they work fine, but when they don't it's a freakin' catastrophe. So people are willing to gamble that everything is going to be o.k. and most of the time the gamble turns out in their favor, but when it doesn't, it's ten years for vehicular homicide. If I was wrong all those roadside honky-tonks would be out of business.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
    Scrapperz and RussB like this.