Susan Boyle

Flyin' Brian

Silver Supporting Member
It just goes to show how badly people want something authentic. We're tired of airbrushed, photoshopped, auto-tuned, overdubbed schlock that's been fabricated by committees that regard the public as dogs responding to meat on a stick. We are weary of being disappointed by bronzed, veneered and painted idols who behave as though fame and fortune matter more than humility and character.
Post of the DECADE!! Well done!
And I have to also comment that this is one of, if not the most positive threads that I've seen here at TGP in a long time. Very very refreshing.

teleman55

There are a lot of really, really good musicians and singers who are very successful, and maybe famous, etc. We all know of a lot who are just as good but toil in obscurity or have hung it up. We've all seen it and know the reasons: a numbers game, luck, drive, money, being in the right place at the right time, or the right place to heard at all, more available talent than available "slots", etc. Happens in other endeavors too. Baseball's minor leagues are a good example.
But, there are certain people who are on a level above that. They're just plain great. This lady sounds like that! Where's she been hiding all this time??? (Yeah, I know, Scotland).

6Tones

As is most TV its totally STAGED.:puh
Sorry but I felt no goosebumps from this vid.

Going to any local Kareoke bar and you will see the same thing if better on any given night...and of course much worse
But it is nice to see someone whos not the bland cookie cutter image singing for once

The Captain

Going to any local Kareoke bar and you will see the same thing if better on any given night...and of course much worse
But it is nice to see someone whos not the bland cookie cutter image singing for once
Dude, the cynics like you spoiled my thread, don't spoil this one.

Serious Poo

Powered by Coffee
Platinum Supporting Member
Wow, that was simply inspiring. The lyrics to that song really got my attention as well. Thanks for posting that.

The Captain

Wow, it's hard to believe she's never been kissed after hearing that!

Ain't that the truth !!
Call me shallow, but the images that voice conjured up involved slinky black dresses, feathers, smooth booze and a whole lot of red lipstick !!

I just realised that this means a shot in the arm for adult music. So much attention on teen music, but now that focus will shift for a little while to jazz, music theatre etc.

mike walker

. So much attention on teen music, but now that focus will shift for a little while to jazz, music theatre etc.
Wow! I'll finally be able to get those curtains i always wanted!!

I think it's a shame that we can't celebrate differences of opinion.

Mike

Grenville

I've worked in media for many years, and would not be surprised if the producers knew exactly what was going on as far as audience sneer-to-cheer was concerned.

But I think Susan was completely genuine.

Ah yes, the world is full of people singing show tunes hoping to be discovered. To me you're always behind the 8-ball doing these songs at auditions and talent quests because they're done to death. But you're damned if you don't too.

This girl had impeccable technique, years of training, knew exactly what she was doing vocally.

True.

I would love to see (if he or she was still around) the teacher who first encouraged her to develop her music skills... That individual is a real hero in this story.
Yes. there's clearly substantial training having been done. Bravo to teacher and student!

Her unbridled joy at the end of the show clip is what really chokes me up. Incredibly heartwarming... What is really amazing is how as she sings in the more emotional parts of the song, her face just transforms... You only "see" her voice and emotion. It's a beautiful thing.
Yes, an innocent who clearly loves her music. To inhabit the song is a gift we don't see enough of.

Now she's gone from "nobody in particular" to "talked about around the world", I pray she copes with the new pressures and the fulfillment of her dreams brings her much joy.

Flyin' Brian

Silver Supporting Member

This thread and the experience was a nice thing til you came along. I'm truly sorry for you that your cynicism has gotten in the way of taking joy out of experiences in your life.

Tuberoast

This video is for romantics, of which I am one. Staged or not (proof of being staged hasn't been, well, proven) this is a strong performance of which even Patti Lupone was brought to tears, she of course would know as she played this part on Broadway in the 80's.

Last edited:

angus99

WHAT? TV Staged??? Why wasn't I informed????

Despite hating almost everything talent/humiliation shows like this stand for, I was moved. Not because of Simon & company's preening--whether they knew in advance is totally beside the point. The lady had the chops in spades, she was not blessed with looks and an audience ready to consume red meat had the tables turned on it. Even Idol-based shows like this one couldn't obscure the poignancy of the moment, the purity of that voice and the fact that she got the last laugh.

angus

DavidH

There must be a lot of professional actors in the audience then giving Oscar winning performances if that is staged. That must be it. Of course. That's far more likely than just an audience's genuine suprise and delight. I thought she was amazing personally, regardless of the production.

redpill

Going to any local Kareoke bar and you will see the same thing if better on any given night...
Not a chance. Sorry, that's just false. Not an opinion. A statement of something which is factually false.

Patti LuPone thought she was good, but I'm sure you are much more qualified to assess Ms. Boyle's ability than one of the single greatest voices of our time.

Grenville

Despite hating almost everything talent/humiliation shows like this stand for, I was moved. Not because of Simon & company's preening--whether they knew in advance is totally beside the point. The lady had the chops in spades, she was not blessed with looks and an audience ready to consume red meat had the tables turned on it. Even Idol-based shows like this one couldn't obscure the poignancy of the moment, the purity of that voice and the fact that she got the last laugh.

angus
Nice.

Guitar55

Who was that masked man?
Gold Supporting Member
She's a great vocalist, but from a marketing perspective, she's this year's Paul Potts.

Trending Topics