Susan Boyle

Rock Johnson

Such an incongruous physical presence as compared to the voice.
My first guitar teacher was an amazing player, but grossly overweight (I mean really disgustingly fat.) He told me flat out once that he'd never get a record deal because of his weight, and he was right.

It's a damn shame. It wasn't always that way (see: Janis Joplin; Lemmy).

wahfreak

Silver Supporting Member
I hate to rain on the parade too but does Britain have an over abundance of unsung, homely opera singers?? Finding a diamond in the rough is one thing but it sure seems wierd that we have the exact same profile with these two and just happen to show up on Simon Cowell's "idol" shows. I'm sorry but I just don't trust tv or the music business, let alone having them working in concert with each other.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09SzPhLP6nE

Last edited:

SnidelyWhiplash

Silver Supporting Member
As is most TV its totally STAGED.:puh
Sorry but I felt no goosebumps from this vid.

Going to any local Kareoke bar and you will see the same thing if better on any given night...and of course much worse
But it is nice to see someone whos not the bland cookie cutter image singing for once
Please. If you didn't feel anything from Ms. Boyle's performance,you sir;
had better check your pulse. I have never seen a kareoke singer even
come close to that majestic singing. It just goes to show you that the human voice was the original musical instrument & when done right; it
is still by far the best.

6Tones

Not a chance. Sorry, that's just false. Not an opinion. A statement of something which is factually false.

Patti LuPone thought she was good, but I'm sure you are much more qualified to assess Ms. Boyle's ability than one of the single greatest voices of our time.
I have 2 well trained ears.I think that counts enough.
Im wasnt saying her voice wasnt good,it was but really whats the heck is so shocking about it ? What cause shes over 40 or thats shes not thin? Whos the hipocrite?

redpill

I have 2 well trained ears.I think that counts enough.
Im wasnt saying her voice wasnt good,it was but really whats the heck is so shocking about it ? What cause shes over 40 or thats shes not thin? Whos the hipocrite?
What on earth are you talking about? My post didn't contain anything about it being shocking. If you're going to quote a post, it might be helpful to address said post.

Insofar as you did actually address what I wrote...

If your ears believe that Ms. Boyle's performance is comparable to that of a typical karaoke bar patron, then they need a lot more training. I am sad to say that I've been to many a karaoke bar in my time. Unless they build one, for example, next to a recording studio in Nashville, the odds of hearing anything remotely like that at such a place are minuscule.

6Tones

What on earth are you talking about? My post didn't contain anything about it being shocking. If you're going to quote a post, it might be helpful to address said post.

Insofar as you did actually address what I wrote...

If your ears believe that Ms. Boyle's performance is comparable to that of a typical karaoke bar patron, then they need a lot more training. I am sad to say that I've been to many a karaoke bar in my time. Unless they build one, for example, next to a recording studio in Nashville, the odds of hearing anything remotely like that at such a place are minuscule.
I dont mean the typical tonedeaf drunk barpatrons.I meant the people though like her that just get up n knockyour socks off ,its happened more than once in a few bars that I was dragged too kareoke night for lol
Im Glad she had her time too shine.

DEMENTED

Silver Supporting Member
I'll tell you what's shocking and saddening about all this. It's that fact that we see the audience and the judges snickering, and mumbling while rolling their eyes because of the way Susan looks when she comes out on stage. That todays society as a whole still, still immediately judges a book by the cover. Since when has it ever been a requirement for a human being to be talented that they also had to be physically appealing to the masses? The shallowness that has taken over the world of entertainment is so tiring to have to put up with.For example we can use Ann Wilson of Heart. One of the greatest voices in rock music but since her weight gain the butt of so many derogortory remarks. Like her dress size really makes a difference on her vocal talent. I like music because it's an aural pleasure, to hear a singer hold a note or to reach a high one, that is what it should be about, not her eating habits. Not her physical beauty. She has a talent that hasn't been nurtured to the extent it should have been because she doesn't look like Britney or Christina or Katy or whomever the "poptart of the month" is right now. Just close your eyes and listen with your ears humanity.

Droptop

Gold Supporting Member
I'll tell you what's shocking and saddening about all this. It's that fact that we see the audience and the judges snickering, and mumbling while rolling their eyes because of the way Susan looks when she comes out on stage. That todays society as a whole still, still immediately judges a book by the cover. Since when has it ever been a requirement for a human being to be talented that they also had to be physically appealing to the masses? The shallowness that has taken over the world of entertainment is so tiring to have to put up with.For example we can use Ann Wilson of Heart. One of the greatest voices in rock music but since her weight gain the butt of so many derogortory remarks. Like her dress size really makes a difference on her vocal talent. I like music because it's an aural pleasure, to hear a singer hold a note or to reach a high one, that is what it should be about, not her eating habits. Not her physical beauty. She has a talent that hasn't been nurtured to the extent it should have been because she doesn't look like Britney or Christina or Katy or whomever the "poptart of the month" is right now. Just close your eyes and listen with your ears humanity.
Another example that comes to mind is Christopher Cross. So many people were shocked when they finally got to see the person behind the voice and it shouldn't have mattered.

You can sit around and say it's wrong to judge people based on looks, and although I agree with you, I don't think it does any good. The whole entertainment industry is focused more on looks and marginal talent than huge talent and sub-par looks. That's just the way things are these days. As much as you may want to see it change, I don't think it will.

Thwap

Platinum Supporting Member
I don't know why but...the opera guy last year just gutted me.

Truly amazing.

Ms. Boyle, well I couldn't even finish watching it.

I have absolutely no reason to think anything was set up...but it sure kinda felt that way.

She's got a great set of pipes either way.

rob2001

I think Simon is a marketing genius. I don't know how much creative control he has over content but the guy knows the music business and I think they knew exactly the kind of response this would get. I'm not saying it was a setup or that this lady doesn't have incredible talent. I'm saying I think he knows that the masses are getting tired of plastic, auto-tuned, siliconed performers.

I guess I don't know how the show is set up....was this the first time any of the people running the show saw her?

Neer

Does her voice have enough merit to stand on its own? She's a good singer and her performance on the show was triumphant, but conversely, if she was cute, do you think she would have created such a buzz? Here is another singer whose looks influence the way she's heard. Doll her up, get her thin and see how quickly she's forgotten.

rob2001

Here is another singer whose looks influence the way she's heard.

Right! It's like the "anti" celluloid" effect working here. The focus is still on the way she looks. Yes, she can sing but the attention she is getting now is based on how she "shocked" people with such beautiful vocals coming from a non- beautiful source.

redpill

What i cannot understand is the fixation on the premise as to whether or not it was "set up." Who cares? She can sing or she can't. For me, beyond her great voice, it's not her looks that are what make it a great moment. Rather, it's the obvious reality that she hasn't been treated particularly well for much of her life - up to and including the time just before she started to sing that night. I felt like I was watching a woman finally being liberated by her own gift.

rob2001

Rather, it's the obvious reality that she hasn't been treated particularly well for much of her life - up to and including the time just before she started to sing that night. I felt like I was watching a woman finally being liberated by her own gift.

I think I should shut up! I don't know her story so my comments are based on the performance and the "buzz" surrounding it.

Boggs

Susan seemed like an absolutely delightful, honest person in interviews and with the spotlight on her so brightly I feel she is handling it wonderfully. It delights me to think that not only will this unemployed gift get work, but that there will be professional voice trainers out there who will be jumping at the chance to put the polish on her vocal techniques... It is all there... The lady just makes me feel good as does the situation she had the courage to put herself into. :)

Jazz2Punk

Right! It's like the "anti" celluloid" effect working here. The focus is still on the way she looks. Yes, she can sing but the attention she is getting now is based on how she "shocked" people with such beautiful vocals coming from a non- beautiful source.
I wish more people were shocked by the opposite- crap vocals coming out of good looking 'singers'.

Trending Topics