Susan Boyle

Droptop

Gold Supporting Member
Susan seemed like an absolutely delightful, honest person in interviews and with the spotlight on her so brightly I feel she is handling it wonderfully. It delights me to think that not only will this unemployed gift get work, but that there will be professional voice trainers out there who will be jumping at the chance to put the polish on her vocal techniques... It is all there... The lady just makes me feel good as does the situation she had the courage to put herself into. :)
Agreed

Teleplayer

Moder8er
Staff member
Another example that comes to mind is Christopher Cross. So many people were shocked when they finally got to see the person behind the voice and it shouldn't have mattered.
I think he once said that MTV killed his career.

CocoTone

Now that everyone is over the initial"shock" of her looks/talent, wait'll they send her off to makeup and wardrobe. Oh, she'll get kissed alright.
On a brighter note, once in a great while, someone does make it on talent alone. Just look at Rita MacNeil.

CT.

SideBMusic

Tears in my eyes too. I felt bad about the first impression, the smirky attitude, and wondered why we had to expect if she wasn't pretty she wouldn't be a good singer either. I'm glad we get a slap in the face like this once in awhile.

MikeS

I don't know why but...the opera guy last year just gutted me.

Truly amazing.

Ms. Boyle, well I couldn't even finish watching it.

I have absolutely no reason to think anything was set up...but it sure kinda felt that way.

She's got a great set of pipes either way.
I agree on all accounts.

Last year's guy looked the part. Even though he wasn't blessed with great looks, he had on the tux and looked as though he was trying to fit a modern image.

Susan on the other hand... Messy hair style, not much makeup, frumpy dress... it's almost as she or someone was trying to dress her down, sort of a "reverse marketing" if you will.

Regardless, I think she's a great singer and I hope she does well. I didn't have the urge to go back and listen over and over again like that guy last year though. (Damn, I wish I could remember his name. Urrg)

GtrWiz

wow, makes me think that maybe I'm not crazy for starting my solo career at 36!

Have times changed enough, with the end of the majors, for age to no longer be as important of a factor? I mean age, looks, and talent really have nothing to do with each other....

stratovarius

Sorry to those who label scrutiny as cynicism.
I wouldn't expect anything different from a TV show, but as always one has to read between the lines. I'm not sure what the judges knew, but I think the audience clearly had low expectations. As you say, Susan appears to be genuine, even if she did have some idea how to work things to her advantage.

svenhoek

Some times things aren't worth over-thinking. Regardless of the background, it was one heck of a magical moment. This is an event that has brought people all over the globe together, a brief triumph for authenticity over glitz and glam.

It's given hope and inspiration to millions and millions of people and provided a source of vindication for those who've felt they are too old or too unattractive to be of worth to our society. Regardless of how they pulled this together, thank goodness they did. It's a nice thing.

Trending Topics