• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Sushi Box Fx

megatrav

Supporting Member
I sure do!
Nathan is a fantastic builder. I've owned 3 of his pedals so far and haven't had any issues. He is pretty creative and will also do custom builds for customers.
His prices are reasonable and the build quality is great. He also stands behind his designs and will fix any issues that happen.

The-Kid

Pedal Art: Providence Dealer
Vendor
Cool guy and definitely knows his stuff about TubePedals. Pretty impressive builds as well.

Havent tried but look forward to soon.

megatrav

Supporting Member
His thing is using the subminiature 6N21B tubes instead of the typical 12a*7 tubes. They're rated around 70-80 in gain range, I believe, so closer to a 5751 tube in terms of gain range.
He does also build pedals that used 12ax7, but the subminiatures allow for the pedals to be much smaller format.
They run either 9volt or 12volt depending.

I have 2 that he made me with one in the works.

The first one is called the Particle Accelerator and is based on the Alembic F2B which is the preamp section (without tremolo and reverb) of a Fender Blackface Showman. This one uses a single 6N21B. It was also modded so that instead of having a mid control there is a switch that will go between 2 different fixed midrange settings.
View media item 225489
View media item 225488
I also have a custom one he made that called the Tachyon Prototype (trying to follow the Sci-Fi theme). It is a monster. It is the Clean and Drive channels of an Orange Rockerverb amp. It packs in 3 6N21B's and has an insane amount of gain range.
View media item 225490
View media item 225491
The one in the works is a Particle Accelerator that uses a 12ax7 and has modifications to the tone stack. I will post some pics of it as soon as its finished

Sidmore

no talent hack
Gold Supporting Member
I bought a Black Eye pedal from @Sushi Box FX - Nathan builds quality pedals for a reasonable price and was very communicative from order to build to shipping.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
So, is he running some kind of internal voltage convertor? Because plate voltage on those 6N21B tubes is supposed to be 200v and running at 12v is going to make them act more like transistors than real tubes (see Butler Tube Driver for an example).

megatrav

Supporting Member
So, is he running some kind of internal voltage convertor? Because plate voltage on those 6N21B tubes is supposed to be 200v and running at 12v is going to make them act more like transistors than real tubes (see Butler Tube Driver for an example).
Yep all SMPS allowing the tubes to get 200v (and whatever voltage 12ax7 types get)

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
Sorry, took me a minute to figure out SMPS meant switched mode power supply. 12AX7s should also get 170-200v... Of course, they tend to get pretty warm at that rate?

megatrav

Supporting Member
Sorry, took me a minute to figure out SMPS meant switched mode power supply. 12AX7s should also get 170-200v... Of course, they tend to get pretty warm at that rate?
It’s very similar to how Kingsley pedals are powered. That way the pedals don’t need a separate AC supply. Just enough miliamps in DC.
The 6N21B’s use more Ma (I believe) and actually run hotter than 12ax7s. The biggest drawback to the Tachyon Prototype pedal is that it gets very hot since it has 3 6N21B’s in it

Godspeed64

There was an Ambassador someone was selling locally but it was overpriced. Sushibox said I could get one in 2-3 months, so when the seller eventually wanted to meet me at my asking price, I decided to wait for the builder.

Bad move cause sushibox shifted cities, then would no longer build the Ambassador. He did however say he'll make a Vox or Matchless preamp one day, so I'll wait out for that!

megatrav

Supporting Member
There was an Ambassador someone was selling locally but it was overpriced. Sushibox said I could get one in 2-3 months, so when the seller eventually wanted to meet me at my asking price, I decided to wait for the builder.

Bad move cause sushibox shifted cities, then would no longer build the Ambassador. He did however say he'll make a Vox or Matchless preamp one day, so I'll wait out for that!
I am sure he would build a one-off for you if you said please lol

I think he is doing some really cool stuff now. I would like to eventually own a Black Eye, Sunnday Drive, and his Dr Wattson.

Its also very cool that he is making nice stuff geared towards bassists as well. They need some other good options and don't have nearly as many as us guitarists do!

Also, I am not in any way affiliated or sponsored by Sushi Box Fx. I have bought a few of his pedals and had pretty lengthy conversations with him. Nice guy, smart builder. I hope his pedals take off and I want people to know about them.

Sushi Box FX

Silver Supporting Member
Man, I haven't logged on here in forever, sorry for not jumping in to answer questions, I'll try to be better about that. It seems like most of my builds lately have been for bassists so I spend a lot more time on Talkbass.

I'm starting to get away from 6N21B tubes and more into 12AX7 because it's more sustainable, easier for customers to swap tubes if something were to go wrong, and they use less power. Also they don't have to be 12V, all of my 12AX7 pedals will run on 9V as well. I regulate everything internally (like megatrav said) to run 200V (usually 220V for 12AX7) to the tube plates. I've never cared for the starved tube sound.

So a Matchless preamp pedal is still on my to-do list, I'm hoping to get to it soon, but I also build 40 pedals a month so I have to balance my time between keeping up with orders and developing new projects. Unfortunately with my current build volume (and my full-time job, and my family) I don't really have time for one-offs, but I am always open for suggestions for new designs.

And again I'll try to be on here more, so feel free to hit me with any questions you have :)

RMosack

Silver Supporting Member
His thing is using the subminiature 6N21B tubes instead of the typical 12a*7 tubes. They're rated around 70-80 in gain range, I believe, so closer to a 5751 tube in terms of gain range.
He does also build pedals that used 12ax7, but the subminiatures allow for the pedals to be much smaller format.
They run either 9volt or 12volt depending.

I have 2 that he made me with one in the works.

The first one is called the Particle Accelerator and is based on the Alembic F2B which is the preamp section (without tremolo and reverb) of a Fender Blackface Showman. This one uses a single 6N21B. It was also modded so that instead of having a mid control there is a switch that will go between 2 different fixed midrange settings.
View media item 225489
View media item 225488
I also have a custom one he made that called the Tachyon Prototype (trying to follow the Sci-Fi theme). It is a monster. It is the Clean and Drive channels of an Orange Rockerverb amp. It packs in 3 6N21B's and has an insane amount of gain range.
View media item 225490
View media item 225491
The one in the works is a Particle Accelerator that uses a 12ax7 and has modifications to the tone stack. I will post some pics of it as soon as its finished
Wow. Very cool. The Alembic F2B was a huge part of Gilmour's various rigs for a few decades. Gilmourish goes into some nice detail, typos and all! While people always think Hiwatt first, it's interesting to note where and how DG utilized the F2B in his setup, especially driving rotating speakers. Being the BF Showman circuit, it's basically a nice, clean BF Twin preamp, but without reverb or tremolo.

RMosack

Silver Supporting Member
Man, I haven't logged on here in forever, sorry for not jumping in to answer questions, I'll try to be better about that. It seems like most of my builds lately have been for bassists so I spend a lot more time on Talkbass.

I'm starting to get away from 6N21B tubes and more into 12AX7 because it's more sustainable, easier for customers to swap tubes if something were to go wrong, and they use less power. Also they don't have to be 12V, all of my 12AX7 pedals will run on 9V as well. I regulate everything internally (like megatrav said) to run 200V (usually 220V for 12AX7) to the tube plates. I've never cared for the starved tube sound.

So a Matchless preamp pedal is still on my to-do list, I'm hoping to get to it soon, but I also build 40 pedals a month so I have to balance my time between keeping up with orders and developing new projects. Unfortunately with my current build volume (and my full-time job, and my family) I don't really have time for one-offs, but I am always open for suggestions for new designs.

And again I'll try to be on here more, so feel free to hit me with any questions you have :)
I just found this thread. Pedals look really clever. I've very curious to see if/when you try a Vox circuit or two.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom