• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Sustain issue only on G string

RolandKorg

Hey.

I have a new Fender Road Worn Jazzmaster. The G string has very little 'attack,' and sustain dies quickly when fretted. When open, it's fine/normal. Same problem with a capo.

I read earlier that a 'dead-ish' string could be the fault of a too narrow nut slot, but wouldn't that affect the open string, as well? I asked for the guitar to be set up with larger gauge strings when i purchased it, but only one 'size' up: from 10-46 to 11-48.

This issue is noticed both when amplified and plucked acoustically/not plugged in, so it's not the pickup.

Thoughts?

Timtam

What is your measured 12th fret action for that string, and relief ?

We'll assume you've tried new strings. ;) Is the G dead when fretted at every single fret, including the last fret ? Does it easily clear the end of the saddle intonation screw and front/back edges of the jazzmaster bridge when fretted ? How high is the bridge (side pics would help us see your overall bridge setup) ?

cram

contact points.
you're already thinking it through.
A string vibrating needs to have firm placement at each end.

Factors -
Nut slot isn't rolling off or sloppy.
Bridge - someone already pointed to that being sloppy and not clean.
- also is the slider in whatever bridge you have could not be clean and having muted contact with the plate/or whatever material.
Fret wire not set correctly or otherwise bad - you'd notice this quite quickly.

You already have a bunch of A/B to test with in your other strings, so start playing around with factors. Take that bridge slider out, clean it and inspect. Then reinstall and recheck.

Those are initial thoughts.

toddincharlotte

Silver Supporting Member
Hey.

I have a new Fender Road Worn Jazzmaster. The G string has very little 'attack,' and sustain dies quickly when fretted. When open, it's fine/normal. Same problem with a capo.

I read earlier that a 'dead-ish' string could be the fault of a too narrow nut slot, but wouldn't that affect the open string, as well? I asked for the guitar to be set up with larger gauge strings when i purchased it, but only one 'size' up: from 10-46 to 11-48.

This issue is noticed both when amplified and plucked acoustically/not plugged in, so it's not the pickup.

Thoughts?
Depending on where you bought it "set up" with 11s could mean restrung with 11s. Do you remember if it played OK with 10s when you demoed it?

I would get a .016 [g string from 9s] or a .017 [from 10s] and try it. If either rings clear it's likely the nut. To me, it's the string gauge is the one variable that was changed and though Fender is a high volume manufacturer I believe their QC would have picked that up before shipping.

RolandKorg

What is your measured 12th fret action for that string, and relief ?

We'll assume you've tried new strings. ;) Is the G dead when fretted at every single fret, including the last fret ? Does it easily clear the end of the saddle intonation screw and front/back edges of the jazzmaster bridge when fretted ? How high is the bridge (side pics would help us see your overall bridge setup) ?
I will get some measurements and pix later this evening. Thanks for the reply.

RolandKorg

Depending on where you bought it "set up" with 11s could mean restrung with 11s. Do you remember if it played OK with 10s when you demoed it?

I would get a .016 [g string from 9s] or a .017 [from 10s] and try it. If either rings clear it's likely the nut. To me, it's the string gauge is the one variable that was changed and though Fender is a high volume manufacturer I believe their QC would have picked that up before shipping.
I bought it online from Willcutt. In the 3-4 years i have been wanting a Road Worn Jazzmaster, i had never seen one in a shop, so i had to buy it sight-unseen/unplayed.

The nut looks a little 'tight' on the G, B, and E, but i expected (without any real understanding) that if that were the problem, it would affect the string ringing out when not fretted, as well.

RolandKorg

If you don't have a string tree for the g-string

Both Reverend gtrs and Joe Glaser make a string tree that does the first three strings,
E, B and G.

"Triple Tree - Reverend Guitars store" http://store.reverendguitars.com/product/triple-tree/

Stew-Mac makes one too under $7 but shipping would be $600
:)
$600—nice.

Yeah, no, this guitar came with a tree for E and B, but not the problematic G.

RolandKorg

A tech just surmised it might be that the truss rod needs to be adjusted, because (i forgot to mention in my OP) i had changed the tuning down to C from when it was set up and shipped to me.

I still need to do those measurements per Timtam's post. Will try to get to that tomorrow. [Just got two new pedals and a power supply, so i'll be busy setting up my board tonight. Wooo-hooo!/s.]

Timtam

A tech just surmised it might be that the truss rod needs to be adjusted, because (i forgot to mention in my OP) i had changed the tuning down to C from when it was set up and shipped to me.

I still need to do those measurements per Timtam's post. Will try to get to that tomorrow. [Just got two new pedals and a power supply, so i'll be busy setting up my board tonight. Wooo-hooo!/s.]
Ah ... so you've had a big drop in string tension, only partly balanced by the step up in gauge. On a jazzmaster that could push you over the edge, as bridge downforce is low to begin with, due to the low break angle. Plus the neck relief could now be marginal. There are standard ways to fix those issues, once the most likely source is identified. Anyway, do the measurements and the side pics of the bridge.