Sustain problem on G string 13th Fret - Help me Terry

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by HBK, Sep 6, 2008.

1. HBK

HBK Member

hi guys,

My guitars sounds great and sustain like crazy, but the G# note on 13th fret of G string sustain only 2 - 3 seconds, very short compare with other notes even the G notes adjacent. I turn down the G string a little bit and found this problem get better.. seems to me that the guitar is not responding to this G# special frequency.

Does any body know the reason of having this kinds of problem? Can I do anything about it?

Luthiers....Please save me ....

It's a Basswood/MapleTop+Maple/RW guitar

2. HBK

HBK Member

anyone can help?

3. KENHOOVER

KENHOOVER Member

Sounds like the resonant pitch of G# is sympathetic to the guitar (do the other G#'s act the same?) robbing sustain.
    You can test/shift the resonant pitch pressing the peghead into a wall and then playing that note. If that does it, you can shift it on the guitar.
    Groovetubes http://www.groovetubes.com/ used to make a simple product called a "Fathead" ($20) that sandwiched between the tuners & the peghead. Later, they made "Fatfinger" that simply clipped on between the tuners. Both of these products were made of brass, which added mass to the guitar, effectively shifting the resonant pitch.

4. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Be thankful it's the 13th fret and not the 12th. This is a serious response. Then either ignore, work around, or address it with your hands (e.g., through vibrato).

5. Terry McInturff

Terry McInturff 40th Anniversary of guitar building! Gold Supporting Member

There's nothing much that I can add to Ken's responce above. The neck has a matching resonance which is stealing string vibration. As Ken pointed out, the only way to deal with this is to raise the neck's primary resonant frequency up and above the problem areas.

Oddly enough, I have no experience with the "Fathead" plate, but it sounds like a possibilty worth trying. Hopefully, the added mass will not result in a "neck heavy" imbalance.

I wish that there was a "magic bullet" for this common problem, but there is not. Good luck!

6. HBK

HBK Member

I will try the FAT FINGERS, Thanks for you helps ken, and terry.

7. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

That 12th/13th/14th fret area can be really troublesome on some types of guitars. I've noticed issues with Hamer, PRS, and Heritage guitars in that region - all double cutaway guitars. On Jazz Basses a really common dead spot is at the fifth fret on the G string. Really, really annoying.

Sometimes, it is just the nature of the beast. Occasionally (by which I mean very rarely), it is a high fret and not a dead spot.

Bryan

8. darkmonohue

darkmonohue Member

I would suggest trying a set of strings with a wound G. I don't know for sure that it would solve the problem, but it's a cheap experiment.

9. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

10. overture2005

overture2005 Member

what the heck of the bloodie guitar? ibanez??