Sustainiac??? Experiences, likes, dislikes?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by psyandy, May 22, 2011.

1. psyandy

psyandy Supporting Member

Hey Guys,
    I'm looking to hear what people think of the Sustainiac product. I would never consider one myself except I am considering obtaining a guitar that already has one installed. It seems like an item that was terribly involved in the install process and I'm not sure how toneful it is as a standalone pickup. I'd value any and all opinions on the topic.

Thanks,
    Andy

2. betteriz1day

betteriz1day Supporting Member

I've only had mine in for a short time, but the more I use it the more I like it. It took me about an hour or so just to play around with the harmonic (or tone) knob to get a handle on controlling the feedback or sustain or which harmonic tones I wanted. I just thought I could play it and it would sound great without having to LEARN how to use it. HA ! Now that I can actually control it, I'm really enjoying learning how to use it musically - not just have it sustain forever, which of course it can do. Getting some good cello sounds with a slide too. I too was worried about the pickup as a standalone and was pleased ( and a little surprised) that it sounds very good. Full, clear and warm without being muddy at all. Bottom line, sit down with the manual for a short time and you'll quickly learn how to control it - the rest is up to you! Just turn it off and it's a regular guitar. I say go for it - wish I could have found one used!

3. Jet Bycraft

Jet Bycraft Member

My main guitar does not have Sustainer, however, I do have a Sustainer equipped Fernades Vortex Elite, and I must say that I do like it very much! The Sustaniac and the Fernades Sustainer are basically the same thing. I've been using an Ebow on and off ever since they came out, and the Sustainer is kind of like having a built in Ebow. You can get incredible feed back sounds, and harmonic tones with ease. If you you want to hear a recording that I did using the Fernades Sustainer go here http://www.myspace.com/jetbycraft and listen to the JetSolo. As I recall, I had the Sustainer switched on through-out the entire solo.

Also be sure to check out the new PaxVox WebSite right here...http://www.paxvox.com/