Sveltlana EL34's, opinions?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by adamsapple, Dec 20, 2005.

1. adamsapple

adamsapple Member

I just ordered a set of Svetlana (not SED) el34's. Any opinions on these? The Tubestore says they're cruchier and less boomy than the Winged Cs.

2. neve1073

neve1073 Member

Can I piggyback on this thread and also ask people's opinions of the new "Mullard" EL 34 that is made in Russia?

3. neve1073

neve1073 Member

BTW, I have the svetlanas in an early '70s jmp and they sound good.

4. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

I have been using Svetlana winged C's for years now.
    They have proven to be the best sounding, most reliable output tube I have ever had the pleasure of using.
    I play hard rock and a bit of bluesy stuff.
    I have mine matced and performance rated by the Aussie distributor.
    Never had any problems.
    Real good for Marshalls.

5. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

There is long thread on the mullard reissues that's a month old if you look in the archives.

I tried the mullard reissues in a DSL50 for a few weeks. I was using SED previously and am now breaking in a new set of SED after test driving the reissues. The bottom line on the mullards is they produce dramatic upper mid frequencies, providing substantially better note definition than other new production tubes. The sound is distinctly vintage. The down side is the absence of thumping low end produced by the SED and JJ brands. For vintage amps or those designed to produce a vintage sound, or amps that are characteristically dark, the reissues will work great. The SED are more suitable for modern sounds like the DSL50 produces.

6. Geetarpicker

Geetarpicker Member

My pair of reissue Mullard EL34s lasted only about 2 hours in my '68 Marshall superbass 100. That was with them properly biased at about 70% dissipation, 480 B+, 35ma per tube. They probably would have lasted awhile longer if I hadn't run them with a hard signal like a Fuzz Face maxed and the amp on 10. That said, after 2 hours 3 of them completely lost their ability to be biased. Took them back and got some EH 6CA7s, which actually sound quite like nice EL34s. Maybe I got a bad set of Mullards, or maybe they work fine at a lower B+.

7. trower

trower Silver Supporting Member

I just ordered a quad of the SED SVETLANAS, I'm installing them in an 88' Marshall 2210 that has Mullards..my gribe was the muddyness of the bottom and the raspy highs the mullards gave up, in fairness I don't know if it's just the Amps design. These are very brash high distortion amps and are designed for kt88's and 6l6's also. After a little investigation, the sed's sound like what I'm looking for, a milder crunch plus bottom unlike the non sed's that seem to emphisize the mid's and high's, so I'd say it depends on the amp's sound signature on what the svet's will do.. then there's the preamp tubes but that's perhap's a whole new thread,..

8. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Supporting Member

Ive read the Svets are great tubes in a Marshall.

9. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Well what they are trying to do with this Tube (New Sensor Svetlana EL34)
    is Copy the design of the real SED Svetlana EL34. Why buy the copy when you can have the real thing? The reason they went after this name and deign is the SED's were know for sounding like real Mullards. The SED's were regarded by most as the best Current Production EL34 in the World.

In contrast at the time the Sovteks (New Snesor) were known for being among the worst in Current Production. A stigma that Sovtek has seemed to have left behind. What I find funny is how some folks still hold on to that thought but dont realise they are using Sovtek products. " I only use EH's they are great the Sovteks are crap " :D I'm finding I like the Tung Sol 12AX7's and the Sovtek LPS 12AX7's.

To me the JJ EL34's are the best sounding Current Production EL34's. Especially in a Marshall and if one is playing a Bright Sounding Marshall JJ ECC83 in V1 and JJ ECC803 in the rest are what the doctor ordered.

I've got some SED's that sound good but rattle like heck. I hope the next set I get dont do that.

I have gotten beat with a stick for saying this before. Take a Sovtek EL34 and a Mullard reissue EL34 hold em up side by side and look at the innards. :confused:

That being said the innards are the same on the inside of the EH 12AX7 and the Tung Sol reissue 12AX7 except for the getter and the TS sounds to me way better.

10. daneswede1

daneswede1 Member

I agree with the above post in that the SED "C" Winged Svetlana sound wonderful. I have a set in my mint 1981 Marshall JCM800 2203 100 watt head. Nice sweet midrange and even lows, chimey highs. Absolutley one of my favorite new production tubes. I had a set of the Mullard Reissue EL34s put into my 2203x reissue. They were decent but not my favorites. Missing some low end freq. and somewhat brittle sounding in the mids and a little harsh. Not inspiring for picking attack for me anyway. I see how certain people would like them however possibly for a more vintage tone?

PS. REDPLANET!

I just ordered my MARSHALL 1959HW 100 watt head yesterday through Sam Ash. Hey Red Planet. Do you like the response of your G12H30 Hand Wired matching Marshall slant cab with your Hand Wired head?? thanks .
    Im gonna get the Valvedriver (Revamped Chandler Tube Driver from the 80s with a quieter Transformer and Hand Built-Alpha Pots-Flying Leads and resistors) by pedaldoctor and jump the channels . I also am going for a T Rex Digital delay pedal, a ZVEX Fuzz Factory which is a very warm and thick structured fuzz box IMO. RUnning a 12ax7 pedal into a SUperlead jumping the channels gives you a very liquid Texas type Tone ala Eric Johnson but more steriodal to me, more balls.

11. bryan k

bryan k Member

i really like the mullard re-issues. Iuse them in a Carvin Legacy amp, which is voiced to sound pretty dark as it is, so using these tubes really opened the amp up, and brought out the upper mids and highs....while taming the natural darkness of the amp.

i guess cetain tubes will react differntly in each and every amp out there.

12. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Great! I like the 1960A HW 4X12 better than any cab I've ever had. I'm not crasy about lugging around a 4x12 but the tone is amasing. It really excells with my JCM 800 reissue Hand Wired with the Negative Feedback Tweak. Thanx to Jeff Andrews I found a way to push the 800 just enuff to make it sing like a stuck pig. No pedals needed. :dude Just ask bailnout or bozotone how the 800 sounded at the Ampfest.

I'm still loving my 1959 HW though I've been playing Mad Scientist with it. Just got through doing a goose on the Negative Feedback and installing a Cap to the Bass Channel to increase the brightness when using both channels. Both are gonna be defeatable with a Push Pull Pot. So in its stock without the bright cap and out its pushed and brighter. I found in a recent Atlanta Amp shootout it wasnt rude enuff in a big room. It didnt cut through enuff. That being said with factory Bright Cap in you cant stand to be in the same room unless the amp is dimed when the cap comes out of the circuit.

13. Swarty

Swarty Member

Does anyone care to address the original post? I only see one response to it... The rest seem to run off on tangents about Winged C, Mullard, JJs, etc...

14. FFTT

FFTT Member

I just replaced the JJ EL34-L's in my Hot Cat 100R with the new Mullard branded Sovteks.

Honestly I like things about both quads, but these new Mullards do seem
    more mid-rangy and the lows seemed sweeter with the JJ's.

In some ways the cleans are better for certain tones, but the JJ's were still
    warmer overall.

I can tweak the tones quite a bit with this amp, but I'm going to order another set of JJ's and keep them handy.

Considering the reasonable prices on the JJ's why not?

I get two amps in one for a quick plug and play 15 minute tube change.

15. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

To address the original post (as requested!) I agree with another poster - the reason Svetlana had the rights to their own name pinched in the US is because they are good. I have tried the "S" logo Svets and the "winged C" Svets and definitely prefer the "winged C" or SED Svets. The "S" Svets merely sound like a good Sovtek to me, which I guess is what they are.

I didn't realise that their were two different Svetlanas until I replaced some SEDs in a Marshall with "S" Svets and was surprised at how dead my amp sounded. When I pulled one I compared it to the old SED and realised something was afoot. I feel that pinching another company's name like that is pretty low.

Just to throw a spanner in the works, may I suggest trying the new JJ KT77? I have some in a Badcat and a Marshall clone and love 'em. Slightly tighter and more bass, sweeter tops. Looks just like an EL34. Great tube!

BTW I tried some new "Mullards". Lasted about a week. Sounded quite good but just didn't last.

16. FFTT

FFTT Member

I'm not sure what's going on with these new Mullards tonight.

The front EL34 is glowing a lot redder than the following three.

Starting to wonder if leaving the amp on last week did more than
    waste the previous set of JJs.

The JJ in that same socket started going puple just before the fuse blew.

I bought the Mullards hoping that leaving the amp on only killed that tube.

Arghhh!

17. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Sounds like a possible grid voltage connection issue on that socket. Get a bias probe and find out.

18. FFTT

FFTT Member

I wish I would have known your shop was so close.

Thanks for the help.

19. FFTT

FFTT Member

Today I got the report back from Eric @Viking amps.
    All the Bad Cat's vital signs are normal.
    All values check normal.

It seems these new Sovtek Mullards simply can't handle the close
    tolerances of the Bad Cat's architecture.

If I understand this right, any slight upward variance of line voltage
    is pushing these new tubes beyond their operational limits.

I check residential and commercial line voltage daily and it can easily
    vary from 117 volts to 127 volts per leg.

Not only am I going to go for better tubes, but I'm going to start looking for
    a line voltage conditioner to keep the voltage at or below 120 volts.