Svt+410 Vs V4b+810?

amphog

The SVT wins if you need punch and volume, today's 10" speakers are different than the 1969 versions. The new V-4b is a decent amp, and if I were buying new I would be inclined to choose it over a new SVT.

AL30

Not real sure what you're shooting for here but... If I'm lugging around an 8x10 I'm gonna put an SVT on top of it. This is the classic sound.

I've never played a V4B. I have a few V4's though and they are very usable amps for bass or guitar. V4's are great amps but they're not an SVT.

If I'm taking out a 4x10" cab then I'm not that picky about the 2 amps you mentioned.

I'd choose SVT over the V4 because it has a volume knob that can be turned down.... or UP!!! More versatile, more better, more AMPEG!

I sold my 810 for a 410 because I was tired of lugging it up/around into weird stages. I can manage the 410 just fine anywhere by myself.... but, I sure do miss my SVT/810 rig.

Endr_rpm

DO you want loud clean or loud gritty? SVT will cover loud clean through either cab, V4 will do loud gritty through either. You'll hear yourself better with the 810, but its a wash for me regarding portability. 810s are easier to get into vehicles, IMO, 410s are slightly easier to get up stairs.

Buck Private

SVT+410 vs V4B+810?
V4b re-issues were not available when I got my SVT. As I see it the price of 2 new V4b's is not so much more than a single new SVT that now I would consider 2 V4b's instead.Stage volume is just not that big a deal any more and the benefit of a back up amp as well as enough power available to match the SVT at less weight per unit is something to think about,I think.As far as the 810 e,I would still want one.You can always build something to ease transport.Even if you wear in-ears,there's nothing like playing in front of " the fridge."

Burwabit

I love the round, creamy sound of my V4B and 212 combo. Would be great with 810 too.

SVT has more of a mid hump, which helps it be heard on stage (in addition to the ridiculous volume). Also a little more grind on SVT vs. gooey tone of V4B.

I'm guessing volume will be similar between V4B with 8 speakers and SVT with 4. V4B is over half the weight of an SVT. I find 410 cabinets harder to move than an 810.

somedude

As I see it the price of 2 new V4b's is not so much more than a single new SVT....Stage volume is just not that big a deal any more and the benefit of a back up amp as well as enough power available to match the SVT at less weight per unit is something to think about,I think.
Hmmm... never thought about it that way.

As far as the 810 e, I would still want one.
Agreed. I’ve only used one once because it was backlined, and the thing I liked was that I could keep the volume down while hearing myself better, plus the rest of the band liked it better for the same reasons.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
if that's a "real" SVT then the 4x10 would need to be a 4Ω cab, SVTs don't do 8Ω.

anyway if the goal is "that sound" at real gig volume then the SVT needs to be on a proper 8x10. if you're going for a tube tone at lower volume and relying on PA/monitors etc then might as well use the V4B with the smaller cab.

lots of folks have reported good results with the ampeg 2x12AV bass cab, it's 4Ω and has the right sound and look.

bigtone23

The V4B and 212AV is a really killer amp. Gets the Ampeg tone and is relatively easy to tote. Relative to a SVT/810.

Endr_rpm

if that's a "real" SVT then the 4x10 would need to be a 4Ω cab, SVTs don't do 8Ω.

anyway if the goal is "that sound" at real gig volume then the SVT needs to be on a proper 8x10. if you're going for a tube tone at lower volume and relying on PA/monitors etc then might as well use the V4B with the smaller cab.

lots of folks have reported good results with the ampeg 2x12AV bass cab, it's 4Ω and has the right sound and look.

Numerous reports of folks using SVTs into 8ohms, specifically the 410HE, for years with no issues on Talkbass. Though I agree that the 810 is the way to go, if only to get all that goodness aimed at your ears :)

somedude

Many months later and it turns out that an SVT/810e is the more affordable option. The nice thing about the current obsession with lightweight kit is that used heavy is going for a song.

I’ve been fairly indifferent towards the P bass. I bought one because I figured I should have one but was never really sold on the sound. I typically prefer a Jazz.

Then I plugged it into this, some dots connected in my head and now the P bass makes sense.

Last edited:

jimfist

Glorious, aren't they? Sad to say I got rid of my SVT Classic w/8x10 a few years ago. It's small gear all the way now. Sorry to do it, but too big and heavy for my gigs these days, and I need the space in my garage for stuff like lawnmowers, generators, and snow throwers. =(

walterw

Then I plugged it into this, some dots connected in my head and now the P bass makes sense.
well yeah, you now have the "les paul into a marshall stack" of bass rigs!

it really is "that sound".

somedude

It’s funny. I’ve spent the last few years really working on developing the best Jazz bass sound I can, and really liking the results.

But, I think this is the sound I’ve subconsciously been going for.

I’m not quite ready to sell everything else off... we’ll see if I still feel this in a few months.

walterw

It’s funny. I’ve spent the last few years really working on developing the best Jazz bass sound I can, and really liking the results.

But, I think this is the sound I’ve subconsciously been going for.
you can of course get a pretty good version of it with the jazz neck by itself, a little more raw sounding but quite similar in the mix.

on SVTs i always gravitate towards having the lo and hi buttons pushed in, it creates a nice mid-scoop "rock bass" sound that stays out of the way of the guitars.

somedude

you can of course get a pretty good version of it with the jazz neck by itself, a little more raw sounding but quite similar in the mix.
My last band did a Ramones cover that I’d do that on. It was part of the reason I wasn’t into the P bass... I could get close enough on a Jazz, and it could do a dozen other sounds on top of that.

on SVTs i always gravitate towards having the lo and hi buttons pushed in, it creates a nice mid-scoop "rock bass" sound that stays out of the way of the guitars.
I’ve been gravitating towards a less extreme version. Slight boost on the treble and bass, modest scoop at 500hz.

It might be the room, but in my basement the ultra low makes my head feel like it’s stuffed with cotton. I’m curious how it sounds in some place that’s a little more open where I can put a little more volume behind it.

walterw

I’ve been gravitating towards a less extreme version. Slight boost on the treble and bass, modest scoop at 500hz.

It might be the room, but in my basement the ultra low makes my head feel like it’s stuffed with cotton. I’m curious how it sounds in some place that’s a little more open where I can put a little more volume behind it.
as i understand it those buttons do something different than the actual EQ knobs, they're shifting things around and maybe automatically scooping the mids in a certain way.

(been a very long time since i dragged out an actual SVT to shows, it was a '70s version i found cheap in the trading post.)

Trending Topics